I eat healthy meals all day, but my snacks are very unhealthy

Options
Hey guys, I've struggled with this problem for some time now... I really need help because this is a big problem... I want to lose weight but staying away from snacks is sooooo haaard!!

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing a few smaller meals throughout the day instead of a few big, healthy meals? This might let you eat throughout the day and get you away from snacking.

• StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth so that tends to be my downfall. I save my sugary snacks and/or dessert for the evening after I put the kids to bed. It's a nice treat to look forward to, limits the amount I eat (most of the time), and I don't feel like I'm denying myself.
    I'm definitely in a similar boat - I love healthy food but I also love dessert. If not for this rule I can easily end up eating many desserts throughout the day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Additions to your grocery list:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/the-best-healthy-snacks-in-your-supermarket?page=1
    I make 100 calorie packs or almonds or pistachios to keep in my pantry. Always v8 in my fridge.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why not save room for a something "unhealthy"? I have candy or ice cream nearly every night, all while making sure I hit my macros/micros and fitting it into my remaining calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up snacks, healthy or not, to lose weight. Work them into your day.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't buy them. Don't make them. Cannot eat what you don't have. Thin and healthy is so much better than a snack.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Learn healthier habits of snacking
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are your snacks not allowing you to meet micronutrient goals? Are they putting you over your calorie allowance? What does unhealthy mean to you? Name some of your snacks.
  • Zipp237
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Don't buy them. Don't make them. Cannot eat what you don't have. Thin and healthy is so much better than a snack.

You can be thin and healthy and still enjoy snacks
    You can be thin and healthy without unhealthy snacks.
  • dahye_diet
    dahye_diet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to eat nonfat greek yogurt to quench my hunger. I mix it with whatever I'm craving, whether it be berries, matcha, or peanut butter. This is what I had earlier for only 137 calories!

Greek Yogurt Dessert with PB2 and Cocoa Powder
    160 g, Nonfat 0% Greek Yogurt
    2.50 g, Powdered Peanut Butter
    2.50 gram, Cocoa Powder
    0.10 fluid ounce, Honey
    0.20 fluid ounce, Almonds Unsalted Dry Toasted Sliced

But I agree with everyone else here on this thread. If you are aware of your desire for snacks, then you need to incorporate them into your day by eating smaller meals.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

What makes a snack unhealthy?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    You don't have to give up snacks, healthy or not, to lose weight. Work them into your day.

This. Eating above your maintenance causes weight gain, not the type of food you eat.

I've had so called unhealthy foods and have lost 90lbs.

Food is food.

What? Stop. Food is food, a calorie is a calorie. The only thing that causes fat gain is eating above maintenance, not the type of food. Smh.
    :
  • Zipp237
    Options

But if you want the unhealthy snacks, and can fit them in and remain thin, why should you torture yourself and forbid yourself from something you don't have to?
    Skipping a snack doesn't qualify as torture.

OP says it's a big problem for her and she wants to quit them. If she wants to eat them, I don't care, but she says she wants to stop. The advice was meant to be helpful. If you don't like it, that's too bad.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

But if you want the unhealthy snacks, and can fit them in and remain thin, why should you torture yourself and forbid yourself from something you don't have to?

OP says it's a big problem for her and she wants to quit them. If she wants to eat them, I don't care, but she says she wants to stop. The advice was meant to be helpful. If you don't like it, that's too bad.
    It is possible that some believe that eating a certain type of food causes weight gain, not a calorie surplus, even though a calorie surplus IS the only way to gain weight. The information isn't here just for OP, it is here for any lurkers and newbies.. @Wynterbourne posted helpful advice, too.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Your suggestion equaled skipping the snack permanently. You weren't just suggesting once. Knowing you can never have X food item ever again could be considered torture to some. Especially if it's completely uncalled for. That's what I was pointing out. Many people erroneously think you can only be thin and healthy by completely eliminating certain foods. This is not true. No need to spread misinformation.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, are your snacks making you go over your calories? Are you getting adequate micro and macro nutrients? If you are getting adequate nutrition from your meals and your snacks aren't making you go over your calories then there is no issue. Sustainable weight loss is about finding a way of eating that is healthy physiologically and psychologically. Most people will include some "unhealthy" or "treat" foods in their diet for this balance to be in place. If your snacking is causing you to go over your calories or you aren't getting enough nutrients from your diet then you probably need to cut the snacking back a bit or find healthier snacks that fulfil your cravings. Maybe only give yourself one treat snack a day.

What kind of foods do you usually snack on? Maybe we could suggest some alternatives
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    eat your snacks while you are standing on a scale and looking in a mirror. That always works for me.
  • Zipp237
    Options

Your suggestion equaled skipping the snack permanently. You weren't just suggesting once. Knowing you can never have X food item ever again could be considered torture to some. Especially if it's completely uncalled for. That's what I was pointing out. Many people erroneously think you can only be thin and healthy by completely eliminating certain foods. This is not true. No need to spread misinformation.
    I didn't say permanently. And, again, don't like my advice? Too bad.

No, knowing that you had to skip Snickers for the rest of your life is not the same thing as torture. It isn't considered torture by anyone who understands what the word means. Torture. Honestly. Exaggerate much?