Water Weight Dilemmas or What

Options
Is it possible to gain 5 kg of water weight in a few days? I find it weird, too, since my sodium intake did not change. I was 55 kg last July 15, then I am 60 kg now.

Thanks

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Scales not working properly/batteries need replacing? Scales on proper surface?

Weighing same time of the day in the same circumstances?

Hormones?

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    5kg is a pretty big swing.

Were you eating a lower carb intake and had a high carb meal?
    New medications?
    Did you move from losing weight to maintenance?
    Different scale?
    Anything else that is new or different?
  • jeandinco
    jeandinco Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @tiptoethruthetulips

I have been taking anti-androgen for almost half a year now, so I don't think that's the reason for the fluctuating weight.

@3dogsrunning

I used to eat 120g of carbs a day, then increased it slowly until I reach 150. Is that the reason? I just shifted from losing to maintenance, yes. Nothing is different. I just increased my food intake. I didn't add anything to my meals. I am 90% plant-based.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a huge swing - at least you know it's impossible that it's a fat gain!
    Are you sure your scales are accurate/consistent?

Is that normal for you to have such extreme swings?
    Would be tempted to trend your weight for a month with daily weighing and a consistent calorie level then look for links between food choices and your cycle (for example) and weight fluctuations.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've managed to gain 9lbs over a few days, so I believe it. It always happens after several days of eating out (not straying very far out of my calorie range)....eating heavy carbs/sodium. All the extra water, plus the food in my system makes the scale jump way up. It can take me a week to get back where I was after those episodes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Could it be a perfect storm including heavier carbs, larger meals, more sodium, lack of hydration, increased activities, time of the month?

I can up swing upward 8 pounds due to large weekend of eating differently than I do in the week and possibly compounded by the time or the month or hormones in general depending on where I am in the my monthly cycle..

Otherwise the scale has to be broken or needs new batteries.
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can gain upwards of 12 pounds (water, of course) over a few days, if, as stated above, it's the perfect storm of increased carbs, alcohol, eating out sodium, hormones, long travel and heat. It usually balances out in half a week.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate several pounds when I eat anything more or different than usual.
  • jeandinco
    Options
    @sijomial , no, this is actually the first time I experienced this huge leap. Usually, I just gain about 2-3 pounds.

@RoxieDawn , I tried another scale, and I got 56.5 kg, so I think the scale was broken. Ha

@MommaLovesToLoseIt , I haven't eaten out for weeks, and I check my sodium daily. Maybe it's stress?

@tech_kitten I didn't eat anything unusual. I just increased my veggie intake.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you pooped lately?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you pooped lately?

Only on MFP is this a legit question outside of the medical field.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you pooped lately?

Only on MFP is this a legit question outside of the medical field.

I almost hated asking it but you know............ Lol
  • jeandinco
    Options
    I poop everyday. Thanks for asking though.