Water Intake

Options
Hi :smile: Just out of curiosity i wanted to know how many of you out there have seen a difference in your weight with drinking 2 litres (8 glasses) of water a day, as opposed to not drinking any !!!

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have never focused on water intake before, but when I started on this site in January, I started to make sure I was drinking at least 8 glasses and even more a lot of days. I have had a really great run of loss for 6 months now. I can't say it is all because of the water intake, but I think it has helped. It also helps me with my appetite. On the weekends, I tend not to drink as much water and I really feel hungrier.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have seen a difference. In fact, I drink between 8-12 cups of water a day now.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Water makes a huge difference. For my size, I only need to drink 56 oz. I notice when I don't drink enough.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to monitor things like this. If I drink anything less than 8 glasses a day, I gain or stay put. Water retention is one of the major factors affecting daily weight fluctuations and if you don't drink enough water, your body will retain it. (The hormone called ADH that regulates water balance in the kidney is released when the sodium concentration in your blood gets too high; this can happen as a result of EITHER eating too much sodium OR drinking insufficient water on any given day.) Basically, if you want to follow real weight loss (i.e. weight loss due to reduction in body fat) you need to stay well hydrated in order to prevent water retention from skewing your progress.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think upping my water intake is definitely helping me. The last two weeks I upped it from 8cups to around 12/14 a day (depending on how hot it is or if I've done a lot of exercise) The weight is coming off at a faster rate than the first few weeks of just diet and excercise change alone.
    However, it could be that my body has finished getting used to my new eating habits and is finally do as it's told :laugh:

Besides, all that extra running to the bathroom every hour is a calorie burn in itself!
  • Cheryoze
    Cheryoze Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I notice a difference of 2-3 lbs sometimes. I also notice that I sometimes mistake hunger for thirst. When I drink my water faithfully I do not get those cravings for things. I have lost 40+ lbs and have kept it off for over 5 years now. I would say to try it for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference how your body reacts :o)
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I never drank much before mfp apart from 2-3 cups of tea a day. When I started MFP I was forcing myself to drink the 8 glasses, and I was losing anywhere between 0.2lb and 1.5lb a week.
    Just now I'm on mantenance and I drink about 4 a day, and I lost 1lb last week. So I've not got a clue! I know I can't be bothered to drink 8 and that's that! I'm sure my body's used to it after 40 years of not drinking a lot.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Water as apposed to what? Soda? Yes, if you stop soda and drink water, you will lose about 10 pounds almost instantly. I can also testify that once I switched to water, I have more energy. If I started drinking sweet beverages, my weight would shoot up. Look on the back of the can and see how many calories are in one. Its really bad! Also, a study was run over many years with two groups, one who drank diet sodas and the other who drank regular ones. The ones who drank diet sodas actually got fatter!

My advice - get rid of all sodas (diet and regular) and only drink water. After about 6 months of drinking water, you wont want another soda! If you do taste one, they taste like drinking pure sugar.
  • jctischler
    jctischler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Water helps me TREMENDOUSLY!!! I make sure I drink at least 8 and I have noticed a huge difference from the times I've dieted without drinking the water. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning (which I count the calories in the sugar & cream) and then I drink only water throughout the day until I've reached my 8 glass goal. If I'm thirsty later in the day, often I'll treat myself to a diet coke or more water. WATER, WATER, WATER FIRST is my motto!!! :) Best of luck to you! :)

8783494.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    I seem to lose more wight when I drink water