Fuel for a hot day

Options
Hey everyone! I need advice on how to fuel and prepare myself for exercising on a really hot summer day. I do drum corps on the weekends and this weekend is supposed to be 97 degrees. We exercise really hard and sweat really hard.

So my problem is we consume a lot of gaterade (and water of course) and it seems like it's A LOT of sugar. I come home every weekend up 4 pounds when I feel like I should be losing weight. How can I fuel my body without putting on weight and keep hydrated? We tried athletic salt tabs and it just made my ankles swell. I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week. Thanks!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Just drink water.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I doubt those 4 lbs are from the gatorade and probably water retention. Surely you didn't drink/eat 14000 extra calories in 2 days.

Just fit the calories from the gatorade in your daily calories and it shouldn't be a problem and if it really is then drink water. I wouldn't sweat for 4 lbs on the scale, besides, it probably goes back to normal within a few days.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ditch the sugar concoction and drink plain old water, simple.
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well the problem with just water is it's so hot that people in the corps are sweating so fast and it's so hot that it isn't enough.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well the problem with just water is it's so hot that people in the corps are sweating so fast and it's so hot that it isn't enough.

Sugar, by itself, isn't going to result in weight gain. The calories in Gatorade count, so you'll want to log those. But it's totally possible to consume Gatorade and lose weight assuming you stay in a calorie deficit. Do you need something besides water when you're sweating a lot? Maybe, but you probably don't need as much as you think you do. I recently ran a half marathon. It was July, so it involved a lot of sweating. I did it all with water except for about six ounces of sports drink at one of the aid stations. Individuals vary, but I felt fine. The six ounces of sports drink fit easily into my calories for the day.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Could you switch to "smart" water with Crystal Light? You would cut the calories drastically and still be able to work in getting the electrolytes?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can make your own gatorade...there are lots of recipes you can google...my favorite is 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar...it will give you more than just plain water but without all the extra junk in store bought gatorade.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Try pedialyte or water down the gatorade. I live in the south, it's normally over 95 here and humid. I've always been fine with water.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here, this should help:

Preventing heat exhaustion

Drink extra fluids. To prevent dehydration, it's generally recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water, fruit juice or vegetable juice per day. Because heat-related illness can also result from salt depletion, it may be advisable to substitute an electrolyte-rich sports drink for water during periods of extreme heat and humidity.

Take additional precautions when exercising or working outdoors. The general recommendation is to drink 750ml (1.25 pints) of fluid two hours before exercise and consider adding another 225ml (8fl oz) of water or sports drink right before exercise. During exercise, you should consume another 225ml (8fl oz) of water every 20 minutes even if you don't feel thirsty.

Avoid fluids containing either caffeine or alcohol because both substances can make you lose fluids and worsen heat exhaustion. If you have epilepsy or heart, kidney or liver disease, are on fluid-restricted diets, or have a problem with fluid retention, check with your doctor before increasing liquid intake.

http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/heat-exhaustion
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add about the Gatorade, but just a couple of thoughts. Not exactly sure how you would log it, but your drum corps sounds like a lot of exercise, which means you have more calories available to you on those days. Also, you didn't ask, but 2 lbs a week is an aggressive goal for anyone but those who are very overweight, and from your profile pic, you don't appear to be. Fuel your workouts & stay hydrated! :)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you like coconut water? It can keep you hydrated and up on the electrolytes. However, it is an acquired taste.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Do you like coconut water? It can keep you hydrated and up on the electrolytes. However, it is an acquired taste.

I second the coconut water, but plenty of plain H20 as the main hydration. I think the heat alone will make you retain water, and being on your feet during drum corps could also contribute to the water retention and higher number on the scale. Very doubtful it is actual weight gain.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Drink a liter of water an hour while in the heat under exertion. From what I've read and heard, this should be sufficient.

About those 4 pounds you gain over the weekend. How quickly do you shed that weight? If it's quicker than a pound or two a week, it was probably water.