HRM with GPS suggestions

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
OK - so, for years I used a Polar F-11... and I also had a Fitbit One, which I thought was fun for about two weeks and then just thought was a pain in the butt so went back to my F-11.

Anyway, it's been years gone by and I'm getting back into running, walking & bicycling again. I really think I'd like to get a new one that also tracks distance (a GPS). I still want to be able to enter all of my personal information and track calories, heart rate, fitness level, etc (pretty much everything my F-11 did, but with the distance thing!)

Who has one they love (or hate) - please share, I'm impatient and am hoping to buy one ASAP (maybe tonight!!!)
I don't really want to spend more than 150$ & I don't care if it has a chest strap or not.

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 235. Look at DC Rainmaker's website. His recommendations, reviews, and comparisons are very helpful. I wouldn't impulse buy a GPS watch.
  • Wolfena
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have a Garmin 235. Look at DC Rainmaker's website. His recommendations, reviews, and comparisons are very helpful. I wouldn't impulse buy a GPS watch.

Who/Where is DC Rainmaker's website? Can you post or message me the link?

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Garmin. The vivoactive HR sounds like just what you are looking for.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    polar m400 with heart rate monitor strap. keeps you in the same polar ecosystem that your used to. It tracks activity sleep along with having a very nice gps running watch built in with sport profiles for other activities as well.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

DC Rainmaker is definitely the best for GPS reviews. I've been using a Garmin 220 for a couple of years but would also consider the 230 or 235 if looking now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive with chest strap (my preference for accuracy). Love it. GPS and apps for biking, swimming, walking, running plus downloadable (I have GymTimer). A good busget smart/fitness watch in my opinion.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Oh and I have looked at other models but for me, at the moment, a bit pricey (coveting the Fenix 3 currently).
  • Wolfena
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    polar m400 with heart rate monitor strap. keeps you in the same polar ecosystem that your used to. It tracks activity sleep along with having a very nice gps running watch built in with sport profiles for other activities as well.

I did a little research on this one.... looks great for running/walking, but I also bicycle - not sure it'll be suitable?

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wolfena wrote: »

I did a little research on this one.... looks great for running/walking, but I also bicycle - not sure it'll be suitable?

one of its default profiles is cycling.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Depends. Do you use speed and cadence sensors? Power meters? Then no. And no watch in this price range will either.

If you don't, it's fine. Just get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Universal-Bike-Mount-Wrist/dp/B000GLK4GS/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41b7Hi0BowL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=4NGC64XPG9S4SXKY0KT4

If you want to use bike-specific sensors (speed, cadence, power), you either need a cycle computer or a really expensive watch (Garmin Forerunner 735 or Fenix, Suunto Ambit3). A FR230 and Vivoactive will connect to speed/cadence sensors but not power.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I love my vivoactive, no HR but the newest model does have it. You can also pair an HR with the Vivoactive so that's an option and at 169.99 on sale, its hard to beat even with the added cost of an additional heart rate monitor.
  • ajdunnii
    ajdunnii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

Depends. Do you use speed and cadence sensors? Power meters? Then no. And no watch in this price range will either.

If you don't, it's fine. Just get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Universal-Bike-Mount-Wrist/dp/B000GLK4GS/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41b7Hi0BowL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=4NGC64XPG9S4SXKY0KT4

If you want to use bike-specific sensors (speed, cadence, power), you either need a cycle computer or a really expensive watch (Garmin Forerunner 735 or Fenix, Suunto Ambit3). A FR230 and Vivoactive will connect to speed/cadence sensors but not power.

If she doesn't want to spend more than $150 on a GPS/HRM watch, I doubt she has speed/cadence sensors or a power meter on her bike...
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you want a watch that's good for bike and run then see if you can pick up a new old-stock Garmin Forerunner 305. It can use speed/cadence sensors as well as HR and run cadence. It also has quick release mounts for wrist and bike making it easy to switch from one to the other. They can often be had very cheap on Ebay etc. I used one for years until the GPS eventually started playing up on it. For running the 220 I replaced it with is better but the 305 takes a lot of beating for a cheap bike/run watch.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Forerunner 220 with a Wahoo Fitness Tickr Run HRM for running and Edge 220 with a CycleOps HRM for cycling. But that is a pricey investment....

My wife uses the Forerunner 25, which is an All Day Activity Tracker, Sleep Monitor and a GPS Running watch, which will pair with an ANT+ HRM. The only thing you need to do is when the cycling is over is change the event in Garmin Connect over to Cycling/Ride instead of Running so it will adjust your calories correctly.

The other logical option would as mentioned a first gen VivoActive. It has a profile for running, a profile for cycling, a profile for swimming and will pair with a ANT+ HRM.
  • legends96
    legends96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK - so, for years I used a Polar F-11... and I also had a Fitbit One, which I thought was fun for about two weeks and then just thought was a pain in the butt so went back to my F-11.

Anyway, it's been years gone by and I'm getting back into running, walking & bicycling again. I really think I'd like to get a new one that also tracks distance (a GPS). I still want to be able to enter all of my personal information and track calories, heart rate, fitness level, etc (pretty much everything my F-11 did, but with the distance thing!)

Who has one they love (or hate) - please share, I'm impatient and am hoping to buy one ASAP (maybe tonight!!!)
    I don't really want to spend more than 150$ & I don't care if it has a chest strap or not.

I just bought a Garmin Vivoaction HR and love it. It has multi sport activities to include running, bike, walking, swimming, golf, rowing, and you can add to it. Really like how it records intensity minutes for activities and associated heart rate.
    $250 but REALLY worth it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh and I have looked at other models but for me, at the moment, a bit pricey (coveting the Fenix 3 currently).

Suunto announced that they're working on a new watch, the Spartan Ultra, which will compete with the Fenix 3. Garmin put the F3 on sale for 25% off that weekend. I think the price went back up, but it'll go down again when the Suunto comes out. Garmin wants to snipe customers away from their competition.

Also, REI has their own credit card, sometimes they have a deal where they'll give you a $100 gift card for opening a CC account. You only have to use the CC once to get the card.

There are sites ("active junkie") that will split their ad commission with you if you buy from another site through them.

Combine a few of these tricks and, well, it's still expensive. But not quite as bad.

:smile:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have an M400 w/chest strap HRM and use it for swim, bike and run training. I love the Polar Flow app. At a $150ish price point, it has served me well.

As noted above, it doesn't provide speed/cadence and power, so for my indoor bike trainer work, I use a wahoo speed/cadence sensor and get virtual power from TrainerRoad. - But I suspect that is TMI. ;)
  • Wolfena
    Options
    Thank you all, I think I've decided on the Vivoactive HR, which probably has way more than I need!

Although my local store carries both that and the polar M400, so I may give it a look over too
    :)
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Suunto announced that they're working on a new watch, the Spartan Ultra, which will compete with the Fenix 3. Garmin put the F3 on sale for 25% off that weekend. I think the price went back up, but it'll go down again when the Suunto comes out. Garmin wants to snipe customers away from their competition.

Also, REI has their own credit card, sometimes they have a deal where they'll give you a $100 gift card for opening a CC account. You only have to use the CC once to get the card.

There are sites ("active junkie") that will split their ad commission with you if you buy from another site through them.

Combine a few of these tricks and, well, it's still expensive. But not quite as bad.

I'm in the UK, can't do any of that! But there is a seller on Amazon shipping from the US which makes it significantly cheaper. Still a bit rich for me at the moment.
  • Wolfena
    Options

I think I'll have to check out REI!