Your favorite way to make sweet potatoes, please and thank you :)

2»

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I love sweet taters, but hardly ever eat them except as a treat, usually as fries. I substituted butternut squash for them in my regular meals, and actually found it to be a yummy trade.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    I love plain, baked sweet potatoes. They don't really need jazzing up. If you keep on trying them plain, hot or cold, you might come to find that you enjoy them that way. And, it will be less of a calorie hit than jazzed-up-sweet potatoes.
  • cmtshannon
    cmtshannon Posts: 1 Member
    I love sweet potato oven fries. Slice into thickness you like. Drizzle with coconut oil. Sprinkle with seasoning of choice (I use anything from Mrs Dash to fresh rosemary to plain sea salt--whatever I'm in the mood for). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. I also love baked sweet potato, split open after baking, drizzle with coconut oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Both ways are very nummy!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    In the interest of this thread, i tried a baked sweet potato with peanut butter and apricot jam. It was good, but nothing to write home about. Maybe a nut butter with a more delicate flavor would work better.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Poke holes
    Wrap in foil
    put in crockpot on low for 6 hours
    mash with nutmeg and cinnamon OR mash with salt, pepper and Bragg's Nutritional Yeast
  • valerianegomes
    valerianegomes Posts: 6 Member
    Diced and tossed with olive oil and paprika. Bake for 30 min at 350.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    nuke in the microwave 5-7 minutes, mash em up, butter and cinnamon to taste!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    I make a hash by grating the sweet potato. Adding some red bell pepper, red onion, and seasoning (usually cumin, garlic powder, and pepper). Then top with a poached egg.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    roast with EVOO and a little salt, or boil-mash-and mix in a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    I cut them in French fry shapes and toss them in olive oil, basil and salt and roast them in the oven at 425 degrees. I sometimes make a garlic aioli to dip them in by mixing a bit of lemon juice and chopped garlic into some mayo. (not calorie-wise but soo good and a little is often enough)
  • tinamarie2620
    tinamarie2620 Posts: 2 Member
    I bake em and stuff them with bell peppers, chicken breast chunks and low fat cheese and then re-bake them til the cheese is melted its very good!
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    I bake em and stuff them with bell peppers, chicken breast chunks and low fat cheese and then re-bake them til the cheese is melted its very good!

I misread this - for a moment I was picturing stuffed peppers filled with mashed sweet potatoes, chicken, and cheese. Bet that wouldn't be half bad. Who wants to try it for us?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    http://tfalactifry.com/recipes/view/crispy-sweet-potatoes

But I would serve them with a dairy based dip mixed with sriracha. You can skip this step.
  • nicholadavies422
    nicholadavies422 Posts: 1 Member
    I roast with cherry tomatoes and green beans an few drops of Dijon mustard 20mins
  • MTAPPENDEN
    MTAPPENDEN Posts: 1 Member
    I cook them all sorts of ways, but one of my favorites is from the P90X meal guide:

Slice a sweet potato and pile the slices on a boneless pork chop. Top that with some apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon (and I dab some butter on it). Wrap it all in tin foil and bake. It's a simple and delicious meal with minimal clean up.
  • megmeggmegg
    megmeggmegg Posts: 1 Member
    They are also really good diced with kale and shrimp, a little bit of garlic & onion, and then cooked in coconut oil.