Minute v/s miles

Options
I have been doing this just for a short time now and was wandering what the average time it takes for you all to walk a mile on a treadmill? I walked it in 19.38 today is that average or above or sad to say sucks ? lol
Please give me as many times you have lets talk numbers people , By the way 1 more pound gone for me this week :drinker:

Please hurry and help me out people lets get 20 responses real fast , WE ca do it I really want your help........:bigsmile:

Replies

• bigjug1967
    Options
    I have been doing this just for a short time now and was wandering what the average time it takes for you all to walk a mile on a treadmill? I walked it in 19.38 today is that average or above or sad to say sucks ? lol
    Please give me as many times you have lets talk numbers people , By the way 1 more pound gone for me this week :drinker:

Please hurry and help me out people lets get 20 responses real fast , WE ca do it I really want your help........:bigsmile:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That doesn't suck, especially since you're just getting started. Set your goal for a 15 min mile. Realize that the average "fit" guy RUNS about an 8 min mile, so it you double that, you're doing fine!

Great job on the 1lb too. Sounds like your metabolism needed an off week! :drinker:
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    No to be honest I was unable to work out because I hurt myself from a nasty fall. I also te at Goldn corral and a pizza place last week and had my kids for the first time in months and ate steak, but with all the mall walking and walmart walking I still lost weight ?

I ran for 3 minute tonight for the longest of times and felt decent , my heart rate only hit 130 too ?
  • cottrell22
    Options
    Hello:smile: Great job on losing another lb!!:bigsmile: Keep at it we will suceed!! :drinker:
    I usually walk an 15-16 minute mile, but I am used to walking so I'm sure it took a lot longer when I first started!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I run a 11.5 min mile. (average)......

and I run about 3 miles.

dd
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Really my advice is you shouldn't even care. All you need to check is what your heart rate is at. For fat burning in a person in their 30s you want somewhere between 75 and 85%. If you can keep your heart rate in that range for a good 30 to 45 minutes, you will be doing VERY well. I would suggest a chest strap and wrist heart monitor like I have(they're a little expensive, but SOOO worth it). As your body get's stronger you will go faster, but don't concentrate on that so much. If you have a goal, that's great, but don't worry about what is "good" because good is different for everyone.
    As an example my wife is in better shape then I am (much, she is an instructor in body pump, and keeps her heartrate at 80% for almost 2 hours a day), but she can't run 3 miles in under 24 minutes like I can. A lot of that is genetics. Likewise, I am exhausted after one of her classes, and she is just sitting there, calmly sipping her water smiling at me (it drives me nuts, but it's a good point).
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Well said Banks!!!

Like Banks wife, I can't run. I've tried multiple times - can't do it. Hurt myself every time. I'll get on the elliptical and go at 75-85%+ for an hour. Sometimes I'll do intervals - 3 mins at 75%, 1 min all out at over 85%. When I was starting out I would do intervals as well - I didn't have a chest strap at the time, but could measure myself with the breath test - so maybe 3 minutes comfortable breathing - doable breathing but not sitting in front of the computer - 1 min still somewhat comfortable, but would rather not talk, 1 min heavy mouth breathing, back down to 3 minutes of comfortable breathing. This can be done with any type of cardio. You will get faster, faster this way.

Depending what kind of walking I'm doing I do between a 15-20 min mile, btw.
  • beanyspoon
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but when I walk to pick up my boyfriend from work it's 1.2 miles and I do that in 20 minutes, so I guess about 17 minutes...?

What you're doing sounds great :smile:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I hate running and I hate the treadmill. I love though to briskly walk outside (once the weather here in Chicago gets better) but at the gym I do the elliptical and get my heart rate up there. I can walk a mile in about 15 minutes. Whatever works for you and gets your :heart: pumping.