Metabolism Boosters

Options
hi there,

any suggestions on how to boost the Metabolism? I just had a successful weight loss journey, decided to go an additional 5 lbs. to give a playing field criteria to yo yo a bit within and I'm not ready for maintenance mode just yet either.

I am just wondering though if there is any tips on how to keep the metabolism in check as that will assist with maintaining weight and keeping it off.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Strength Training.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Working out and counting calories, best metabolism booster ever or are you looking for a pill, shake, etc??
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Strength training is pretty much the only one. Maintenance is still about calories, so you need to remain aware of what you are eating in maintenance. Can't go back to your old habits.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to give you the hundreds of calories that we all hope for. Building lean muscle is the biggest impact by far but if you want to lose weight, rather than using another way to measure your progress, then this will slow your journey.

Then you have a bunch of things that may have a small impact but probably not worth the effort and I'm not sure on which are scientifically accurate or just made up by magaizines/fitness "experts". Caffeine, green tea, capsicim etc.
  • gertmeister
    gertmeister Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stay away from quick fixes like pills and "energy" shakes. They're not heart-healthy. Strength training! More muscle us a good thing.
  • Amanda_1973
    Amanda_1973 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I really envy those people with natural metabolism, gotta be great in someways but I just managed to take off 48 lbs, trying to go another 5 just to have a playing field to yo yo with, but I also know this is a lifetime battle...so if counting cals is the way to do this , so be it. Thanks folks :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I really envy those people with natural metabolism, gotta be great in someways but I just managed to take off 48 lbs, trying to go another 5 just to have a playing field to yo yo with, but I also know this is a lifetime battle...so if counting cals is the way to do this , so be it. Thanks folks :)

Everyone has a natural metabolism. Those people with "fast" metabolisms really don't have them. If I recall correctly, the majority of people fall within a range of +/-300 calories.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Those lucky metabolism people are extremely likely to be those who eat well naturally. Not tempted by chocolate/bacon etc. Don't need to feel stuffed after a meal. Exercise regularly etc.

I thought I was one of those lucky ones on my 2500-3000cal/day but it was down to 20+ hours a week of exercise that I didn't even call exercise, it was just having fun, when you are constantly healing yourself and carrying muscle around you burn a lot.

Now I'm not as active my lucky metabolism has unsurprisingly vanished. And just like everyone else I fall in the expected range of BMR.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    scoii wrote: »
    Those lucky metabolism people are extremely likely to be those who eat well naturally. Not tempted by chocolate/bacon etc. Don't need to feel stuffed after a meal. Exercise regularly etc.

I thought I was one of those lucky ones on my 2500-3000cal/day but it was down to 20+ hours a week of exercise that I didn't even call exercise, it was just having fun, when you are constantly healing yourself and carrying muscle around you burn a lot.

Now I'm not as active my lucky metabolism has unsurprisingly vanished. And just like everyone else I fall in the expected range of BMR.
    What's wrong with chocolate and bacon?
    :open_mouth: