Crunching Numbers = Confusion

Options
So I know that the estimate for losing a lb a week is a 500 calorie deficit a day to total a 3500 cal deficit a week. Well last week I had a 3640 calorie deficit and lost just over 2 lbs a week and this week with a 3931 calorie deficit I have only lost 1.2 lbs. I am SO confused. Can the thermal effect of food have that much of an effect on things? Am I taking these estimated numbers to literally?

I would love some clarification! Thanks so much guys!

Replies

• garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would say yes you are taking it too literally. The body is not a robot. In theory, 3500 calorie deficit would equal one pound loss. However, there are factors such as the water you are retaining, how much "waste" is in your system, etc. Also, maybe the week before you were more active in everday activities and this week you were a little less. It's not an exact science.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    also probably water retention
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Oh but I wish it was an exact science! I love being able to have a reliable measure like that! lol Oh well.

I don't think it's water retention. I have never drank more than I have this week. It should be flowing okay, I think. But either way, one pound is better than no pounds.