Getting enough protein without too much fat?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
I am trying to eat 120 grams of protein a day at a 30% protein, 20% fat, 50% carb ratio. The reason I have this ratio is because I commute by bike 12 hours a week and need the energy, but am also trying to build lean muscle mass. It seems my macro nutrients end up 30-something percent instead. The more protein I try to eat, the more fat comes on. If I only eat shrimp, non-fat yogurt and protein powder I can do it, but throw in eggs, nuts, seeds, beef, salad dressing, or most other things I can think of and my ratio is thrown off. I don't think this ratio of macros is realistic for me, but don't know how else to get enough protein to build while having enough energy to function without over eating.

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    70% less fat cottage cheese, egg whites are probably the best and chicken
  • Zerbiak
    Zerbiak Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is the best answer I've found to this conundrum
  • rmboehm67
    rmboehm67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tuna is another good "lean" protein option
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    lean turkey or chicken breast ... I often eat a packet of water packed tuna with pickles and also eat a serving of turkey for lunch. I struggle trying to eat enough protein for my increased weight lifting workouts.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1 of those candy bars to try and get more protein :blush: 'builder bar' 20g protein. It is most likely trash and bad for me, but I do like candy... It seems extremely hard to get good protein from actual foods without getting a ton of sodium or fat. I found this thread somewhat helpful though :smile: I'm trying to get between 120-220 grams of protein, and don't care as much about the fat I'm rocking like 3 eggs a day with 2 pieces of turkey bacon till the wheels fall off. Good luck try different things, and keep track of it, see what works best for your body!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing the math right, you're eating ~1600cals/day? Are you currently gaining/losing weight at 1600? Can't be sure, but it seems like you should be eating more if your goal is to build PLUS you're on the bike 12hrs/week. If you have more calories to work with, it'll be easier to get the 120g.

The only other tip I can think of is to focus more heavily on lean cuts of meat. For example, when I get beef, its usually round roast/steak. Chicken breast and tuna are good. If you make your own salad dressing, you can control the amount of oil. If your carb sources are more legume-based, you can get in a lot more protein that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I am trying to eat 120 grams of protein a day at a 30% protein, 20% fat, 50% carb ratio. The reason I have this ratio is because I commute by bike 12 hours a week and need the energy, but am also trying to build lean muscle mass. It seems my macro nutrients end up 30-something percent instead. The more protein I try to eat, the more fat comes on. If I only eat shrimp, non-fat yogurt and protein powder I can do it, but throw in eggs, nuts, seeds, beef, salad dressing, or most other things I can think of and my ratio is thrown off. I don't think this ratio of macros is realistic for me, but don't know how else to get enough protein to build while having enough energy to function without over eating.

Things like nuts and seeds are greater sources of fat than protein. If you do eggs and want to keep the fat down just have one egg and kick up the volume with egg whites (they come in cartons). There are a lot more fish in the sea than just shrimp...and chicken is also a good choice. As beef goes, it really depends on the cut...there are also really lean sources of pork like pork tenderloin.
  • kfrye0811
    kfrye0811 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just eat a bunch of skinless boneless chicken breasts super high in protein next to no fat
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you can utilize the energy from dietary fat. Fat is delicious, and in appropriate amounts, part of a healthy diet.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    If I'm doing the math right, you're eating ~1600cals/day? Are you currently gaining/losing weight at 1600? Can't be sure, but it seems like you should be eating more if your goal is to build PLUS you're on the bike 12hrs/week. If you have more calories to work with, it'll be easier to get the 120g.

I'm eating about 2400 calories a day, but want to keep it down at 2000. Definitely getting enough calories as I've gained 15 pounds since starting this high-protein plan in January.

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    petite sirloin steaks. almost no fat, marinate cut really thin marinate and use for stir fry. Or just marinate and grill. Oh btw these lend themselves to marination because they are so lean. Tri-tip beef roasts and steaks are also super lean and very nice tasting.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try tofu or seitan....all you're eating is animal protein which has fat.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat alot of protein. Here's my ideas, some already said. Egg whites. I have 5 for breakfast alot. I eat whole eggs too but if I need to add protein without fat I usually add eggs. I love fish and eat it almost every day. Get more than one type so you don't get bored. I eat some red meat but not alot - london broil and flat iron steak. There are others but that's all I can ever find. I eat this for a snack alot Fage plain zero fat greek yogurt with PB2 powdered peanutbutter and stevia. I can get a lot of protein out of that. And cottage cheese. Sometimes I will make roll ups with lunch meat and veggies too. Deli slices of roast beef have alot of protein. That's all my ideas.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, try mixing together 1/2 c fat-free cottage cheese, 1/2 c fat-free fruit flavored greek yogurt and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Normally I don't like fat-free cottage cheese but adding the lemon juice helps with the flavor a lot, and it adds around 16g protein without adding any fat.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    If you don't already, try mixing together 1/2 c fat-free cottage cheese, 1/2 c fat-free fruit flavored greek yogurt and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Normally I don't like fat-free cottage cheese but adding the lemon juice helps with the flavor a lot, and it adds around 16g protein without adding any fat.

I love this idea. I mix cottage cheese and yogurt all the time but never tried this combo.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

I love this idea. I mix cottage cheese and yogurt all the time but never tried this combo.

It's a basic use of the flavor pyramid [salty/sweet/savory], which greatly enhances the flavor of most dishes. In this particular one, the cottage cheese is salty, the greek yogurt sweet and the lemon juice savory [most acids are counted as savory, so for other dishes this would include vinegars]
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Tofu and seitan aren't fat-free.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I didn't say they were fat-free. However, they have a lot less fat than meats, eggs and dairy. It would not hurt to incorporate them into a diet looking to reduce fat content while keeping protein high.
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some of my recommendations:
    -Egg Beaters (all the protein of egg whites without fat/cholesterol)(I seriously cannot recommend this enough!!!!)
    -Protein shakes (find a protein powder with as little sugar/fat as possible-Six Star makes a fat-free/low-sugar powder marketed at women but is actually good for anyone-don't mind the pink packaging)
    -Extra-lean ground turkey (can be used to make burgers, meatballs, meat-sauce for pasta etc. that are very high protein/low-fat. I recommend cooking with high-moisture ingredients so the meat doesn't get too dry-think chicken/veggie broth, tomato sauce, freshly chopped onions mixed into burger/meatball mixture)
    -Fat-free Greek Yogurt (avoid added sugar, I like Dannon Oikos Triple Zero)

And finally, while I totally understand your macro goals and think you should continue to follow them, remember to purposefully include certain healthy fats for the good of your body. Salmon especially, but also nuts, seeds, and other fish & plant fats are good to incorporate every once in a while, even when your goal is building muscle because they are so good for your overall health.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I didn't say they were fat-free. However, they have a lot less fat than meats, eggs and dairy. It would not hurt to incorporate them into a diet looking to reduce fat content while keeping protein high.

Your initial comment was that animal protein has fat, not that it has *more* fat than what you were suggesting. I appreciate you clarifying your statement.