HFLC and my MOTHER (!)

Options
I need to lose around 11 pounds. I believe in everything in moderation and eating at a deficit for weight loss and for creating a lifestyle change instead of something quick but hard to stay with. I realized my diet was full of crap and started to make a change a week ago: Ezekiel bread, no more Oreo's (which is so, so sad), one tablespoon of Nutella instead of half the jar, baked chicken, vegetables, tuna, etc... My mother swears by a HFLC diet and she won't stop pushing it. I love my mother and I know she only wants the best, but it's hard to watch her eat chicken skin and put pads of butter in her coffee, while passing up sweet potato. What am I missing? Do I have the wrong mindset? Input is appreciated.

Replies

• caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    HFLC works for many people. Personally I found it unsustainable as it makes eating out tricky and it's really expensive. I'm currently doing a simple CICO, with a leaning towards HCLF. It works well for me as I don't naturally eat a huge amount of animal products. Like you, my biggest issue is banning junk food, these days it's enough to realise that that chocolate hobnob I've been offered is a whopping 89 calories, so I'll have one but stop there instead of eating most of the pack like I would have done a few weeks ago! I'm seeing results, I'm down 3 kg in two weeks. If it stops working then I'll consider a different approach but if you're losing weight and you're happy with your diet then I'd say stick with it.
  • RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

Watch this guy's video's. Butter Bob explains HFLC and insulin resistance in a very easy to understand way. I've lost 30lb in 3 months, no hunger and I feel great.

His videos talk about how to do this in a very economical manner. No need for this to be expensive.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    From Time Magazine quote =
    "Research is mounting that saturated fat is better for you than processed carbohydrates like sugar and white bread"
    http://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
    Who knew?
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have almost the same problem. My mother insists on leaving sweets sitting out on the table or counters whenever she feels like it "to keep the same lifestyle." They aren't always around, but I never know when they will be. I've just developed a routine of staying in the basement where my bedroom is and usually only see her in passing through. She knows i'm trying to take care of my health and thinks that she's helping by not having so much sitting out as often. It's really frustrating to live on packaged and frozen food, and whatever else can sit at room temperature. I can't afford to move out because on my full time job in education, I can't even pay rent or utilities. I'm working hard this summer to get a higher paying job. During the school year, it helps that I can eat school lunches.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's quite easy to avoid eating a high amount of saturated fat without replacing them with ultra processed carbs, so I'm not sure how that's related to OP's post, Not-the-Real-Janet-Yellen. (This is also hardly breaking news.)

However, I agree with what others have said, OP -- some of us find it easier to cut calories by doing moderation, balanced/traditional macros (40+% carbs), and a healthful diet as normally defined (which does not include lots of ultra processed carbs or added sugar, of course), whereas others find other ways easier or more pleasant. I wouldn't enjoy a low carb diet, but some do, and that's cool. If they get preachy I just ignore them, and since I've been successful there's really not much sensible to say. (Some here will claim that if you eat carbs in any amount you are a health disaster waiting to happen, but that can be ignored, people say all sorts of stuff that makes no sense.)

If I liked Oreos I'd probably include them in moderation, too, although no need to if that doesn't work for you. (I like ice cream, so that's my usual dessert when I want one. That has both sat fat and sugar, but I eat sensible amounts of it, so am not concerned.)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    snowey7 wrote: »
    I need to lose around 11 pounds. I believe in everything in moderation and eating at a deficit for weight loss and for creating a lifestyle change instead of something quick but hard to stay with. I realized my diet was full of crap and started to make a change a week ago: Ezekiel bread, no more Oreo's (which is so, so sad), one tablespoon of Nutella instead of half the jar, baked chicken, vegetables, tuna, etc... My mother swears by a HFLC diet and she won't stop pushing it. I love my mother and I know she only wants the best, but it's hard to watch her eat chicken skin and put pads of butter in her coffee, while passing up sweet potato. What am I missing? Do I have the wrong mindset? Input is appreciated.

I don't follow a low carb diet anymore but I have done it in the past with great success both aesthetically and based on health markers.

That said you need to follow a plan you can live with just know that whatever you choose the calorie deficit (i'm assuming weight loss is the goal?) will determine whether you get the results you seek.
  • gertmeister
    gertmeister Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol sticks to the walls of your arteries. It catches up with you. Enjoy your healthy, high nutrient, high fiber, low fat, low sodium choices.
  • snowey7
    snowey7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your responses and personal journey's that have worked. I'm only a week into this so I'm still learning. Oh, and I don't have any control with Oreo's. Zero. Nada. If I eat one I'll eat the entire box, so I have to stay away. No moderation with those little cookie sandwiches made by the devil himself!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

To lose weight eat the right amount of calories for you.
    How you or your mom get your calories is personal preference. Realize that lots of people lose weight while eating differently from either you or your mom.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your responses and personal journey's that have worked. I'm only a week into this so I'm still learning. Oh, and I don't have any control with Oreo's. Zero. Nada. If I eat one I'll eat the entire box, so I have to stay away. No moderation with those little cookie sandwiches made by the devil himself!

I'm like that with the Golden Oreos!
  • gertmeister
    gertmeister Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lindarpolk wrote: »
    I have almost the same problem. My mother insists on leaving sweets sitting out on the table or counters whenever she feels like it "to keep the same lifestyle." They aren't always around, but I never know when they will be. I've just developed a routine of staying in the basement where my bedroom is and usually only see her in passing through. She knows i'm trying to take care of my health and thinks that she's helping by not having so much sitting out as often. It's really frustrating to live on packaged and frozen food, and whatever else can sit at room temperature. I can't afford to move out because on my full time job in education, I can't even pay rent or utilities. I'm working hard this summer to get a higher paying job. During the school year, it helps that I can eat school lunches.

Cook from scratch and eat the good stuff. You can be an example to your mom. Get in the snacks that are good got you and your body in the long term. http://plantbasedonabudget.com
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So I don't have any answers for the OP, but what's so special about HFLC? What does everyone mean when they said they had a lot of success with it? I thought it was just about calories haha does everyone mean that they felt less hungry with low carb or am I missing something? :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    So I don't have any answers for the OP, but what's so special about HFLC? What does everyone mean when they said they had a lot of success with it? I thought it was just about calories haha does everyone mean that they felt less hungry with low carb or am I missing something? :smile:

It is ultimately about calories, and yes, more fat and protein very often means feeling less hungry
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Many people find fat more satisfying to eat than carbs and thus eat less, particularly for those with blood sugar swings (diabetic/hypoglycemic) carbs can trigger an increase in hunger while fat does not produce that effect.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on the butter in coffee thing.

I feel like I want to try it

As for the real question. Everyone is different. Tell your mother that you are doing what works for you and what feels sustainable. If she can't understand that it may be worth just avoiding the topic of weight loss and/or eating habits. I find being firm but kind about the fact that I will choose what I am doing makes people stop thinking that what works for them will work for everyone
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Some people feel less hungry with it, yeah. I don't think I would, since I don't find fat filling at all, and anyway I'm not hungry eating the carbs I do.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cholesterol sticks to the walls of your arteries. It catches up with you. Enjoy your healthy, high nutrient, high fiber, low fat, low sodium choices.

No, it doesn't. That's the oversimplification they were putting out in the 80's and 90's. Same with the salt thing. Both are needed for life.

It basically means that many do have better dieting success when doing LCHF. Most of it is probably appetite suppression, some of it is improved health (cholesterol, insulin resistance, etc), some is reduced sugar cravings, and some is a very slight metabolic advantage.

It doesn't work better than a higher carb diet for everyone, but for about 50% of North America it does.