Adding strength training daily yoga practice?

Options
123Allyxox
123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I really want to add some sort of strength training/weight lifting to my daily yoga practice but don't know where to start! I want to find something that allows me to continue practicing yoga 6days/week. Normally my workout routine goes

M- 45m Pilates, 55m yoga
T-60m yoga
W-60m yoga
Th-60m yoga
F-60m yoga
Sa-Rest
Su-60m yoga

Most of these days I am walking 4 miles (2there,2home) while pushing a stroller, to get to the gym, most of the yoga classes are power or vinyasa classes. I can spend up to 2 hours each day working out.

Any advice on where to start would be great!!!

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Since you go to classes, I am guessing the focus is dictated by the teacher? So sometimes you might be working on hips, other times shoulders. With that in mind, I would let the yoga class dictate what you train in the next day.

For instance, if you trained shoulders on a Tuesday, you could do stuff like barbell shoulder presses on a Wednesday, the premise being that you want to be able to perform at your best for the class.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an established full body lifting program done 3x week, separate from your yoga if done before it, or right after. Assuming that your yoga is most important, you can lift afterwards, but probably not before
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lifting will make you sore and stiff at first. You should be ready for that. Lifting is likely to impact your yoga -- negatively -- for a while.
    But it is an interesting question, I think, because lifters have started paying so much more attention to flexibility than they did in the past. Crossfitters, for instance, work a lot on mobility.
    But I have not heard much of the other way around: Yogis feeling the compulsion to throw weights around.
    I cannot give you any better advice than others here already have. But do you ever look at Yogabycandace.com?
    She's a blog and a youtube channel. She has lots of 20-minute, home yoga routines. But she has gotten into lifting and incorporating that in a lot of her posts and videos. A few weeks ago, she even had an Olympic lifting coach come on and given instruction in performing cleans, clean-and-jerks, and snatches.
    You might want to look at it.
    Good luck!
    http://yogabycandace.com/blog/yoga-for-olympic-lifters-chest-and-shoulder-mobility
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTdkGCeurg
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I just modified my schedule to do lifting instead of yoga on Saturdays. No real impact yet but it's been only a month.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I do a full body strength workout twice a week, and do a gentle yoga class on one of those days.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I personally think that doing both, especially if you say you are working out 2hrs a day would be counterproductive. You want a balance between your yoga and strength training in order to really get the full benefit of both. If your focus is yoga then perhaps 3 vinyasa or power class a week and 1 gentle yin or hatha class (3 to 4 sessions a week is enough to make great progress) and 2 or 3 (depending on how your body feels) strength training days?

I lift 4 times a week and push myself hard, I can't do vinyasa the other days, I had to cut back and do hatha and some restorative although I'll do aerial once a week still but when I tried doing both I could really see that it was pushing my body too much and it wasn't beneficial at all.

All in moderation, that's just my 2 cents ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just go to yoga twice per week and strength train 3x?