When to take a rest day?

Options
I have been pretty good about doing cardio every day, but this past Saturday I took a break from it because my hip hurt. I did cardio on Sunday and Monday but now today, Tuesday, both my hips hurt. I am wondering if I need to take a day or two off. I have a history of hip bursitis and I am scared I am aggravating it. But I am also scared that a day or two off would mean a pound or two gained. Suggestions?

Is there any cardio I can do that won't put impact on my hips? Biking, Elliptical, and the treadmill all aggravate them. And I don't think I have time to go to the pool today. Any advice on that?

Thanks!!! :smile: Trying to stay positive. Just a bump in the road!

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hello! You definitely don't have to do cardio EVERY day - especially if your body is telling you that it hurts. I know that my mom hates taking rest days because she fears she will stop all together. I run four days a week, and I let my body tell me if it is tired from the previous day (I try not to take two days off in a row). This morning I woke up and I had two hard workouts the day before, so I don't feel guilty about not running. I have a really active job, so I know I won't be sitting on the couch all day! Maybe you could find something fun/active you can go out and do today if your hips allow it. Even if it is just a walk outside - you're moving!
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Thanks for telling me its okay. Maybe I will just go for a walk later. :smile:
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Never mind, just read the rest of your post.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I have been pretty good about doing cardio every day, but this past Saturday I took a break from it because my hip hurt. I did cardio on Sunday and Monday but now today, Tuesday, both my hips hurt. I am wondering if I need to take a day or two off. I have a history of hip bursitis and I am scared I am aggravating it. But I am also scared that a day or two off would mean a pound or two gained. Suggestions?

Is there any cardio I can do that won't put impact on my hips? Biking, Elliptical, and the treadmill all aggravate them. And I don't think I have time to go to the pool today. Any advice on that?

Thanks!!! :smile: Trying to stay positive. Just a bump in the road!

No exercise is necessary every day. Best advice is to make a schedule and stick to it. Mon/Wed/Fri or Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri for example. That way you have schedule rest days and don’t have to feel guilty about skipping a day.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you started training/dieting in May, then now is probably an excellent time to take a short break.

Take a week or two to turn the training down a notch. Just keep eating well and when you feel ready start up again! It should help you feel more refreshed.