Any CAKE decoraters out there? HELP!!!!

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
I took it upon myself to volunteer to make my hub's 30th b-day cake this weekend. We are renting a 30 person party boat out on the lake for 1/2 a day and will be barbequing and swimming. Cannot wait.

I love baking and everybody loves when I do but so far all I have down is making homemade yummy stuff... decorating- no so much! I have yet to try to make my own fondant and usually stick to all sorts of yummy homemade frostings/glazes.

For the occasion, I have decided to make the "clown vomit cake" but I'm confuzzled as to how to decorate it because we'll be outside in a boat that has no fridge (yeah a big BOO on the boat!). I will be using a cooler though just not sure how to do this.

Anybody have any tips? I think I want a buttercream frosting unless I can learn fondant in ohhh- um 4 days!!?!?!?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    Can't you buy a pre-made fondant. That way you can roll it and cut it as you need and the cooler shouldn't have any impact on it, where buttercream may melt and go squidgy if it's not cold enough. Roll-out fondant is much easier to control too and you can make designs/models/pictures out of it if you need.
  • twitbffl
    twitbffl Posts: 24
    Options
    This is the easiest fondant recipe I know. You don't have to be an expert, you just need to have a rolling pin and a flat counter! Hope this helps! Oooo, and don't forget to frost the cake first! Not thick, just a thin frosting to hold on the fondant!

Fondant recipe

Ingredients

* 1 cup light corn syrup
    * 1 cup shortening
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
    * 2 pounds confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
    2. To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.
  • CelticDestiny
    CelticDestiny Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's going to be a great birthday! You should check out www.wilton.com they have a ton of ideas, tips, and recipies. Good luck and have fun!!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    First off if your a women on the go SOMETIMES tops will sell you some of there buttercream from the bakery ...but anyways i use to work there as a cake decorator and had my own cupcake business going.

i recommend making a small cake then and then making the amount of cupcakes to match..this way your not making an entire sheet cake-smaller is easier. Secondly dont go to far out of you skill level and try to keep things slightly basic.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=clown+throwing+up+cake&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=954l4032l0l22l14l0l0l0l1l965l8444l5-1.9l10&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=642&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Go online and look up videos and pictures to get ideas as well.

If you have any direct questions on icing tips or how to do something just add me or email me and let me know
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    I decorate cakes...now I need to read your post. I use Satin Ice fondant, and I use, exclusively, this buttercream recipe" the Wilton fondant can be bought, but it kind of doesn't taste very good, which is why I use Satin Ice. SI costs double. And can;t be bought at JoAnn's. To correctly cover an 8x 3 inch cake, you should buy 2 boxes, and you should buy whatever color of tinted fondant you need and mix the colors. Satin Ice comes in colors.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing. I don't use Crisco, i use hi ratio shortening. Fondant is easy. Be sure to crumb coat the cake (apply a thin layer of frosting, and let it crust.

Be sure it's smooth, then apply a bit of piping gel around the side to help the fondant adhere. then. you roll the fondant onto a lightly greased fondant mat, not too thin, and enough to more than cover the cake.

Place the fondant and mat over the cake, centered, and peal the mat from the fondant, then smooth it, and cut around the bottom. If you use an impression mat, you;ll remove the Wilton mat before placing it on the cake, then remove the impression mat. hth one more thing, DONOT refrigerate the fondant cake...it will turn to jelly.

this is my cake picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2083768
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have also bought pre-made fondant from arts & crafts stores, which works out well (and you get a good workout for your arms trying to roll it out!). You will have to put icing underneath to hold it in place. a simple icing made from shortening instead of butter will melt at a higher temperature. (but probably won't taste as good!) I made my wedding cake last year, and I had a carrot cake with cream cheese icing, covered in fondant. It was in the middle of July and even though it was inside, the icing melted a bit and the fondant got all saggy. LOL! so if it needs to hold up to the heat, try shortening...
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert cake decorator, but I've been pretty good at eating it. LOL

If you do fondant, make sure you put a really good layer of buttercream underneath because fondant may look pretty but it tastes bleck :)
  • Lizakitty
    Lizakitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I grabbed this off of allrecipes.com, but this is very close to the one I use and it tastes wonderful.
    Original Recipe Yield 2 1/4 pounds of fondant

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup butter
    * 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided

Directions

1. Place the butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside.
    2. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows. Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough. Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff.
    3. Rub your hands thoroughly with butter, and begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.
    4. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
    and ps i dont think you should do fondant-buttercream is just so tasty and everyone knows what it is so theyll eat it
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Thank thank you.. keep your tips coming!!!!!

I didn't mention some specifics..

I'm going to be making a double layer 9 incher and some cup cakes for the kiddos.

I really don't want to buy pre-made fondant. If I use fondant, I rather take on the task of making it myself. *gulp* And yes, I read about using a layer of buttercream underneath!

Also I keep reading in order to help your buttercream last longer w/o melting, don't use butter but use shortening?!?
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Options
    Just a thought....if you have no fridge then don't use fondant...it requires cold storage until ready to serve.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Just a thought....if you have no fridge then don't use fondant...it requires cold storage until ready to serve.

Doh! I thought it was the opposite?!?! I thought buttercream needed a fridge while fondant didn't (i'm picturing all the wedding cakes for outside weddings)
  • Rhondast
    Options
    Don't put the fondant in the fridge, it turns to something awful. I am very busy,and would never, in my life ever make my own fondant. this is my cake schedule" Bake Tuesday night, crumb coat Wednesday or Thursday, decorate Friday night or Saturday morning, always with a day or two in between the fondant and the buttercream. my Satin ice is in a tub in the cabinet, and my Wilton is sealed with saran wrap in a Ziplock bag in my cake tackle box.

My buttercream, the link I gave you, keeps in the fridge for a week. fondant in the cubbard, BC in the fridge. most fondant will keep for 18 months, if it is premade, in the cupbard. Cakes are fascinating to me, I'd become a Wilton instructor, if I had the time to train, and the money.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    doesn't answer the question at all..... but I love this site:

www.cakewrecks.com
  • Rhondast
    Options
    doesn't answer the question at all..... but I love this site:

www.cakewrecks.com

i love that site!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    all this info is great!

I don't think I'll be making fondant because I should had practiced before attempting to make it for such a big occasion. Plus the whole fridge/no fridge makes me nervous.

I will probably just make buttercream w/o butter and keep it in the cooler for as long as I can.

I will check out that website from home! I am intrigued by cakes..

Another question:

I've never made cupcakes (hehe). Can I use my muffin pan for cupcakes?
  • if you make buttercream icing it will melt/go soggy if not kept cool.
    your best best is ready to roll out fondant icing because it doesnt need to be kept in the fridge!
    i never make my own 'roll out icing' i buy the ready to roll stuff as i dont have time to make it myself!!

put a think layer of frosting on the cake

4 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 cup shortening
    2 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract

muuch better than buttercream and then put your roll icing over the cake!
    remember to get it frosted and covered quickly after it has cooled to stop the cke drying out!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    my friend has a website with all sorts of ideas. Neither of us is selling anything. Promise I'm just sharing a link to give you ideas and instructions. cupcakerehab.com (scroll down to the left side for other blogs under the heading: CUPCAKERY BLOGS)
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    my friend has a website with all sorts of ideas. Neither she nor I is selling anything. Promise I'm just sharing a link to give you ideas and instructions. cupcakerehab.com (scroll down to the left side for other blogs under the heading: CUPCAKERY BLOGS)
    \

awesome website! love the front picture!!! thanks