What does too much calcium do?

Options
blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
I get about 140% calcium daily.. 40% comes from protein powder and the rest from natural foods. Is this bad for me?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Possibly. Hypercalcemia is a potentially dangerous condition and can be caused by oversupplementation. Nausea, vomiting, kidney stones, heart problems are all possible consequences.

I don't know if 140% RDA would be enough to trigger those problems, there are likely a lot of other factors that have to be considered such as your kidney and endocrine system health, overall diet, etc.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    140% of max should be fine as long as your kidneys are functioning properly. Otherwise the chance of contracting hypercalcemia is higher as impaired kidney function can cause nutrients to stay in the blood much longer than they're supposed to. Otherwise the extra should just be flushed out with the rest of the waste.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Alright, thank you both for your responses! I'm more relieved now haha.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unless you have parathyroid gland problems, what too much calcium will cause is diarrhea.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Getting too much calcium can cause constipation. It might also interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron and zinc, but this effect is not well established. In adults, too much calcium (from dietary supplements but not food) might increase the risk of kidney stones.
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer/#h8

Adults 19–50 years 2,500 mg
    Adults 51 years and older 2,000 mg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 245% every single day. I'm a dairy addict.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The danger to cardiovascular health comes from overdoing supplements, not from foods.