Are you suppose to eat after a workout even if it's late?

Options
Depending on what time I can get off work, I usually hit the gym before I go home because I have a long commute and I want to skip the rush hour traffic. I've started to put more time on stretching, a good 15 min before and after 1 hour of work out. Long story short, by the time I get home it's about 9-9:30pm. Can I still eat? What should I eat? I try to go to bed around 11pm, is it bad if I eat so late?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. There's nothing wrong with eating right up until the time you go to bed, if that suits you. Unless, of course, going to bed with food in your stomach causes reflux or other ill effects. There are so many dieting myths out there that are confusing.
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency does not alter weight loss, I eat at 11pm and have lost just over 30 lbs
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you are hungry, eat. There's nothing wrong with eating right up until the time you go to bed, if that suits you. Unless, of course, going to bed with food in your stomach causes reflux or other ill effects. There are so many dieting myths out there that are confusing.

This^

As long as it doesn't cause physical discomfort, if you're hungry (and still have calories available :wink: ) eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,988 Member
    Options
    I usually get home about 6 pm, finish my workout about 7:45 pm, and finish dinner about 8:30 pm ... then have my first evening snack about 10 pm, my second evening snack about 11:30 pm, and if I'm going to be up till 1 am, I'll have my third evening snack right before going to bed. :)

Doing that did not harm my weight loss in any way.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ate tuna and sweetcorn an hour before bed last night, I do that often if i'm hungry and have calories to spare
  • romisa925
    romisa925 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me with diet and stuff
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what time you are training you really should have something to eat afterwards to aid your recovery...
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you still have room in your calorie budget, it won't hinder weight loss. Additionally, your body needs those nutrients after a particularly tough workout. To replace the glycogen stores in your body quickly and effectively, eat a snack that contains both protein and carbohydrates. This will provide both fast-acting and sustainable energy to your body. Try to eat a snack within two hours of exercising, but wait a minimum of 15 minutes after exercising before you eat.

If you don't have any calories left in your budget, next time don't eat as much during the day and save some for after your workout.
  • peachy625
    peachy625 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's super helpful thanks guys!! How about eating before a workout? Is it better to eat after and not before?
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    peachy625 wrote: »
    That's super helpful thanks guys!! How about eating before a workout? Is it better to eat after and not before?

Again, when you eat doesn't matter. It's your preference. I prefer a fasted workout, some feel they have less energy on an empty stomach. Do what works for you.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Before, after, in the middle of a workout (lol)... I think, as most stated above, it's really about what works for you and what calories you have to use! I know, personally, I can't eat much before a workout or I feel BLAH the whole time. It slows me down and makes me feel a bit nauseous. I know other people who eat before workouts and they feel fueled up and even feel dizzy or lightheaded on an empty stomach. I have always been partial to eating dinner later in the evening, it's almost always after 8pm for me. Years ago, when I was working a second shift job, I got home after 11 and pretty much ate and went to bed, so I swapped my "dinner" meal with my "lunch" meal and had a smaller, quicker meal when I got home from work.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

My experience and belief is that it's important to eat after to aid recovery. Whether or not you eat before is just personal preference. Some people prefer to workout in a fasted state, while others need a little something in their system. Don't sweat it too much.
  • juliasulay
    juliasulay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is a really good question. The same happen to me when I go to the gym. I get home like at 9pm and hungry and I don't know what to eat.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

For me, it depends what I'm doing. If I'm going for a walk or some other light cardio, eating prior to the workout doesn't bother me. But if I'm doing pole, and I'm doing inverts and going upside down, doing handstands, and spinning moves, I find that I cannot eat before working out b/c I'll get sick to my stomach and feel like I want to vomit. I also can't eat before intense cardio or weight lifting. I need at least an hour between eating and a workout if it's going to be intense.

The only way you're going to find out what works for you is by trial and error. B/c I may be able to handle a piece of fruit prior to an intense workout, but a full meal, no way. You might be the same or completely different.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    romisa925 wrote: »

What do you need specifically? Have you filled out your MFP profile and gotten a daily calorie goal yet?
  • peachy625
    peachy625 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do you guys suggest to eat post workout? Keeping in mind I would be going to bed in an hour or so after I eat.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I had a Lenny and larrys at 130 last night....fell asleep 2 mins later. Think about nutrient intake long term rather than 24 hour goals
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    romisa925 wrote: »

Sure:

1. Read these threads: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
    2. Form specific questions
    3. Start your own thread
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss. I work nights so I typically eat something small first thing in the morning when I get off of work. Then I'll eat a small dinner around 5pm with the family. I save about 1/3 of my calories for more food that I bring to work and eat at around 10-11pm. I've been logging for almost a month and am down 16 lbs total (12 from the past month and 4 from before that).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What do you guys suggest to eat post workout? Keeping in mind I would be going to bed in an hour or so after I eat.

What ever suits your fancy. If I'm super hungry, steak and veggies. If I'm a little hungry banana with peanut butter, or chocolate milk. Try a couple different things and see how you feel.