can you reccomend

Options
im looking for strength exercises that can help a dodgy knee

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Depends on how dodgy it is, but correctly-performed squats have done wonders for mine. I'd imagine any correctly performed strength training exercises that requires a hinge at the knee would help build it up - deadlift, leg press...

Check out the exercises at exrx.net and get with a trainer at a gym to see what you can do. If you don't have access to a gym, you can do bodyweight squats and those can help you. Again, depending on how dodgy the knee is, you may want to talk to a doctor first.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think I would seek advice from a physical therapist or other medical professional. You don't want to take any chances of further damaging your knee.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you have a yoga studio with good staff they will be able to recommend poses that will strengthen your knee.
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have athritis
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Walking and machine leg extensions, leg curls, abductor (outer thigh), and adductor (inner thigh) machines at low weight for high reps are what my physical therapist had me do. I can now squat nearly my bodyweight and fully expect to be able to do more than that.
  • opiebean
    opiebean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had all bursae sacks removed from both knees so my knees really enjoyed moving around. Three low impact exercises I did and still do is sitting position ( in my recliner with my remote of course ) extending your leg out and squeezing or tightening the knee. Simple but effective over time. Lite ankle weights ( 1 lb or 2 ) lifting, holding, and squeezing ( if able only). Leg extensions with very lite weights and build up from there. You shouldn't feel any pain, just comfort. Patience will be rewarded. Start with first one and add others over time. I would recommend staying away from heavy activity like squats until you've built your knees up. Good luck. Patience grasshopper.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Since your knee issue stems from a medical problem, you really should have your doctor determine if exercise is even advisable, and if so, refer you to a qualified physical therapist.

Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition. Certain movements, force, and impact will aggravate the already eroded cartilage.

Rheumatoid arthritis is auto-immune, and definitely needs to be treated by a qualified doctor.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What you should do is talk to an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist. They could recommend a workout routine for you based on the type of arthritis you have. I have bone-on-bone arthritis in my knee and after Consulting with them I have a program I can do.

With all due respect to the other posters they don't know what they're talking about unless they have a orthopedic degree and they personally evaluated you. Also dr. Google doesn't know what it's talking about either
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    steve my point exactly thanks, will need to discuss with my doctor.