Eating breakfast makes me more hungry...?

Options
mom2wessarah
mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already. I did do a search, but didn't see this specific topic. For the most part, I'm not a breakfast eater. I'm just not hungry when I first get up. I have a desk job and get up on the weekdays around 7:15am to get the kids out the door, then start working. Generally I'll get hungry around 11am.

However, sometimes I am hungry in the morning. I'll try to each something lite, with protein; for example this morning I was hungry so I ate one egg, one egg white and 11g of ham in an omelet (no butter or cheese). On days like today when I do eat earlier in my day, I find I'm generally more hungry throughout the day (like now; I finished breakfast about one hour ago and I'm hungry again). But, if I wait until lunchtime (i.e. after 11am or after I've been up for 3-4 hours) I feel more satisfied with the meals I eat during the day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. This is why I do intermittent fasting and never eat breakfast
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am the same way. I drink coffee on my way to work and don't eat "breakfast" until a good 4 hours after I am up. Cutting out eating breakfast just to eat it at a certain time has really been a game changer for me, helped me stay in my calorie goal since it seems like once I start eating, the hunger is there. Do what works for you and keeps you happy :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I get hungry after I Have stopped drinking coffee...I don't drink coffee after I leave the house at 7:45 so I eat when I get to the office.

I don't find I am that hungry until lunch time....if I am sort of hungry I either wait it out and drink water or eat a small greek yogurt (100g) to tide me over until lunch.

If you find it hard to eat breakfast don't...drink water/coffee etc and on those mornings you are seem peckish decide if it's worth it and if so ensure it's enough to keep you until lunch and/or have small snacks
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Everything has been discussed already ;)

But yes, I find that the earlier I start eating the hungrier I am all day long. Sometimes I wonder when people talk about how difficult it is to have a lower calorie goal I wonder if it's eating in the morning that's tripping them up.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every morning and I'm not more hungrier than if I don't eat breakfast. It's all about preference.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

But yes, I find that the earlier I start eating the hungrier I am all day long. Sometimes I wonder when people talk about how difficult it is to have a lower calorie goal I wonder if it's eating in the morning that's tripping them up.

Not likely. Breakfast is a preference only.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, I mean that people are forcing themselves to eat breakfast because they think they have to.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, I mean that people are forcing themselves to eat breakfast because they think they have to.

Ohhh!

I dunno know. One should never force themselves to eat when they don't want to. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Yep ... eating breakfast flips an "ON" switch for me. Within an hour of eating breakfast, I find myself on the prowl for more food and I'm ravenous all day.

But if I wait to eat until about 10:30 am and then have a small snack, I'm fine. :)
  • Macpui85
    Macpui85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It happens to me as well. Whenever I have breakfast at 6:30 am I go hungrier during the day.

This doesn't mean you can't meet your calorie goals. I have 6 meals (including the early breakfast) and I'm still able to stay below 1600C.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. This is why I do intermittent fasting and never eat breakfast

Same thing here. It's much easier to manage my calories with IF!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with singingflutelady and Escape_Artist
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all you comments. Like Machka9, eating before I've been up for 3-4 hours is an "ON" switch and I'm hungry all day. I'm glad to hear It's not "all in my head" and others' bodies seem to work the same. I guess if I'm hungry, I'll eat something small and just manage the rest of that day.

I find I'm hungry in the early morning after a day of going far over calorie goals. Good incentive not to do that. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. If I eat breakfast early, I will be starving the rest of the morning. If I don't I'll barely even think about food until lunch
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Very similar for myself.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Same here. Once I start eating the hunger signals do not stop!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I find I'm hungry in the early morning after a day of going far over calorie goals. Good incentive not to do that. :smile:

This is the same for me. If I eat a lot one day, the next day I will feel like I'm starving. Eating right before bed also makes me hungry in the morning for some reason. If I eat at my normal dinner time (about 4 hours before I go to bed), no hunger in the morning.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It has been theorized that this is due to your circadian cortisol peak. Morning usually is the peak of our cortisol levels. That, combined with eating can cause a pretty significant insulin release and drop in blood sugar.

Happens to me too.