New to the vegan lifestyle. I need tips!

Options
I'm a mother of 3 non vegan children and a non vegan husband, so it's sometimes stressful to balance my lifestyle and my family as a whol..

Replies

• BethStratigeas
    BethStratigeas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey, True. I was a vegetarian for over a decade and I understand how challenging it can be cooking for people who aren't. Hopefully you can find easy modifications for dinners that allow you to add in the meat / dairy for them while leaving the base for you (like making zucchini noodles with a red sauce and sauteeing chicken for them, while adding vegan strips for you)
  • FireandIce55
    FireandIce55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also vegan with a non-vegan husband and son. I find I'm cooking a lot more to satisfy me and my family's eating habits but it's certainly attainable. After going vegan, I am so much more healthier than I was before and have no intention of ever going back to the standard American diet. I suggest you watch Mommy Tang on YouTube. She is a vegan mother of four who has a non-vegan husband and has some decent vegan lifestyle/recipe ideas. Good luck to you!
  • FireandIce55
    FireandIce55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

I forgot to leave this link to an informative vegan/vegetarian group that may help you with your journey.
  • iamgoingrunning
    iamgoingrunning Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I became a vegetarian 11 years ago and then went vegan over 4 years ago. My husband and 5 kids are non vegan, but that's ok. I feel healthier now than I ever had in my life. I haven't been on here in a few years. But I have put on some weight, haven't been running like I used to and just need to get back on track. I would love to connect with other vegans to share advice and challenges. Good luck with your journey everyone and feel free to add me.
  • nat_meister
    nat_meister Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been vegetarian since January (aspiring vegan), with a non-veg husband and 7 year old son. They've been really great with the transition and they eat all of the meat substitutes with me (love Gardein and Morningstar Farms products!). I haven't cooked meat since January in the house, but they get it when we eat out. I'd love to connect with other like-minded people! <3
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian since March 2015 and I am always trying to find new veggie options and soy based protein options and brands of meat substitutes! I've lost a total of 27 lbs in a year and I feel amazing!
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian, sorry i haven't got any tips! But good luck! x
  • TrueHeart1430
    TrueHeart1430 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    phrunch wrote: »
    Good luck on your journey, True. I was a vegetarian for over a decade and I understand how challenging it can be cooking for people who aren't. Hopefully you can find easy modifications for dinners that allow you to add in the meat / dairy for them while leaving the base for you (like making zucchini noodles with a red sauce and sauteeing chicken for them, while adding vegan strips for you)

Mmm yes! Been wanting to try Zoodles.
  • TrueHeart1430
    Options
    I'm also vegan with a non-vegan husband and son. I find I'm cooking a lot more to satisfy me and my family's eating habits but it's certainly attainable. After going vegan, I am so much more healthier than I was before and have no intention of ever going back to the standard American diet. I suggest you watch Mommy Tang on YouTube. She is a vegan mother of four who has a non-vegan husband and has some decent vegan lifestyle/recipe ideas. Good luck to you!

OMG! I love Mommytang. Ha!! #tanggang unite
  • TrueHeart1430
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I can definantly say I feel so much more better with the vegan life. No more bloating or swelling from to much salt.
  • NazKerpan
    NazKerpan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hm maybe try this. Designate a vegan day for the family.

For example, on Tuesdays, all the meals you make or eat as a family will be vegan. It'll relieve some stress for you, maybe make your family more open to the idea of veganism, and it'll make for some fun and unifying experiences as you will all be eating and enjoying the same meals.

Just an idea :)
  • Dondatta
    Dondatta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advise I received was getting a pressure cooker. It expands the rages of options we have as vegans.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian so I cook vegetarian. My FH is not, but he'll either eat what I eat or make himself something else.
  • christy2820
    christy2820 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian also, but my partner is not. It gets hard and I backslide occasionally, but I'm only human! Keep up the good work!! You've got this!!
  • Bassmaster1203
    Bassmaster1203 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been vegetarian since January (aspiring vegan), with a non-veg husband and 7 year old son. They've been really great with the transition and they eat all of the meat substitutes with me (love Gardein and Morningstar Farms products!). I haven't cooked meat since January in the house, but they get it when we eat out. I'd love to connect with other like-minded people! <3

I was vegetarian for a month may-june this year and I went fully raw vegan in june for 2 weeks. I still eat raw daily but I also include cooked foods. Its amazing how better you feel without eating meat, eggs, dairy or other animal by product's. Some places to get tips is YouTube try: fully raw Kristina and mommy tang they both are vegan just Kristina is fully raw and mommy tang is not.