PCOS -Metformin - Question.

Options
If you have PCOS and take Metformin, how much do you take? I'm just curious. I take 1500 mg (3 pills) a day. I sometimes only remember to take 1000 - but I am prescribed 1500.

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have to take 1000 mg. So I take two pills. Once in morning and one at night before dinner.
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I take 2000, extended release, all at once with my evening meal. It seems to help some - I was curious to see what it would do given that I'm not a diabetic, but it hasn't caused too many problems aside from an upset stomach in the morning that can really wipe me out for a good portion of the morning. I've definitely seen an improvement in facial hair and hair loss, though. I also take 50 mg of Spironolactone, which has also been a huge help! :) Good luck!
  • kmmonteith
    Options
    I also take 3 pills a day. My doctor suggested taking 1 in the morning and 2 at night to lessen any adverse side-effects.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking with your doctor
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I only take 500mg and I don't think it's doing much for me at all. I need a new doctor.. one that understands PCOS!
  • kabrown1978
    kabrown1978 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I took Metformin, while trying to get pregnant in 2007, I took 1500mg extended release. It was 2 pills of 750mg each, and I took them both at night. I personally never had a problem with them giving me an upset stomach, but I remember being told that sometimes people get that side effect.

Zhak - 500mg didn't seem to do anything for me either. I think 1500mg is supposed to be the most effective dose, from what I've heard. Do you see just an OB right now or a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE)? It was an RE that prescribed mine to me at the time.
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only take 500mg and I don't think it's doing much for me at all. I need a new doctor.. one that understands PCOS!

Hi! If you go to www.pcoschallenge.com, you can look for doctors in your area that specialize in PCOS. That's how I found my endo, and I couldn't be happier with him! Good luck! ;)
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 mg per day, 1 in the morning, 1 at night. I have been on metformin for 10 years now, and STILL have the GI effects. Ugh! One site that's really helped me, is www.soulcysters.com
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I (fortunately) no longer have any GI issues on Metformin - but I sure did when I first started taking it a few years ago!! My doc (who is awesome by the way) is ok with me taking 1500mg or 1000mg a day which is why I'm not super strict about always taking that 3rd pill. Just wanted to get an idea of what other gals were doing. I realize everybody's body is different -but so far it looks like a general consensus of 1000 to 2000 mg a day. Thanks for your responses!
  • LeonaB17
    Options

I dont know how long you've been taking that dose - but my doctor prescribed me only 500 a day initially b/c it would lessen the possibility of GI effects. She gradually increased my dosage as my body got used to it.
  • sunnygirl73
    Options
    I take 500 in am and 500 in pm. In the past I was on double that but my new doctor lowered the dose and I feel better. I also take the spirinolactone. I have been taking the metformin for several years and I think it helps. If it gives u an upset stomach, tell you doc and they may adjust your dose. I find that taking smaller doses more frequently is easier on the tummy than one large dose once a day.
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I was taking it, I was as high as 2000 mgs a day and when I stopped it at I was at 1000 mgs a day. I stopped it on my own just a few weeks ago. I talked with my OBGYN who was fine with that. I'm in a much healthier space now then when I first started taking Metformin. However, if my body starts doing wacky things I might have to restart it, but so far so good. Best to you.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am currently on 500 mg / day to give me a break from all of the issues associated with it. I will be moving back up to 1000 mg / day once I am ready. I am actually not super strict with it, and I stop taking it 3 days before a planned drinking weekend.
  • LeonaB17
    Options
    I am currently on 500 mg / day to give me a break from all of the issues associated with it. I will be moving back up to 1000 mg / day once I am ready. I am actually not super strict with it, and I stop taking it 3 days before a planned drinking weekend.

I don't drink much - but if I know I'll have a few drinks - I skip taking mine too that day. Lactic Acidosis sounds super scary! But there have been times I didn't expect to drink - but did - and I had already taken it. Nothing bad happened - but it's still scary so I try to plan ahead when I can!
  • vannie18
    vannie18 Posts: 55
    Options
    I take 1500 mg a day.
  • leilahh
    leilahh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I take 1500 mg a day, all three at night.

@zhak hey! :p When I first saw a gynecologist about the PCOS he only prescribed 500 mg a day for me as well and it didn't do a thing! Once I found a gynecologist that was more knowledgeable about PCOS, he immediately put me on 2000 mg a day which helped immensely.
  • leilahh
    leilahh Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I dont know how long you've been taking that dose - but my doctor prescribed me only 500 a day initially b/c it would lessen the possibility of GI effects. She gradually increased my dosage as my body got used to it.

My doctor did the same, but gave me a prescription for the full 2000 mg a day and simply instructed me to start with 500 mg for a week or two then increase it by 500 mg each week thereafter until I reached the full dosage. I did fine with that. I only had stomach issues the first week.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    2000mg for me. 24-hour release. one in the morning and one a night.
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm on 2000 mg, and not sure I really feel it is helping ...at least in the weight loss dept. I don't have to much of an issue with hairiness. I'm having my periods, because I'm on BC. ... so who knows.

I plan to go back soon, and see why this weight is NOT coming off.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

My doctor did the same, but gave me a prescription for the full 2000 mg a day and simply instructed me to start with 500 mg for a week or two then increase it by 500 mg each week thereafter until I reached the full dosage. I did fine with that. I only had stomach issues the first week.

I have a doctor's appointment next week and am going to bring up upping my dosage (and hopefully getting on some spironoloctane also) and if she doesn't cooperate, I'll be looking for a new doctor that specializes in endocrinology. I looked up a couple on the link that someone posted up above and only found 2 in the Nashville area.