need to raise my hdl

Options
how besides what i am doing at the gym? last month i rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes 3 times a week. sometimes i went longer. this month i am going to start hitting the weight machines and riding only about 15 or 20 a night.
what food can i eat to help? drink?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to your doctor and not taking advice from random strangers on the internet. Maybe also look into going to see an nutritionist for dietary advice.

That said, a few things I've been told while watching cholesterol are:
    Eat more high fiber leafy green veggies (spinach, kale, darger lettuces, broccoli)
    Avoid hydrogenated oils (go with natural peanut butter and spreads with omega-3s)
    Eat fish or take fish oil supplements

And don't lower your amount of cardio. Weights will help with toning and the number on the scale but you need to keep doing 20-30 minutes of heart rate increasing aerobic/cardio exercise to help with heart health.
  • tiger7171
    tiger7171 Posts: 17
    Options
    GOING to see dr on friday. was just looking for some suggestions .
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Omega 3 oils every day. I am allergic to fish, so take flax oil in my morning fibre shake. Grandma was right. Good old fashioned cod liver oil will give you the Omega 3 and 6 oils you need to raise your HDL. Go buy some cod liver oil capsules today. Also, check out the book, "The Niacin Solution".

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with my HDL.My dr. advised me to eat more fish- like salmon.