HOW ACCURATE IS THE EXCERCISE CALORIES?

Options

Replies

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OP person- when you type in all caps it means you are yelling. Also it is difficult to read, don't do it.

Is that a rule on the site?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    OP person- when you type in all caps it means you are yelling. Also it is difficult to read, don't do it.

No, that is Internet etiquette. All caps has been considered shouting since the Internet was invented.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    like i said i am not shouting, just easier to see.... geez.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

really?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I got myself a chest heart rate monitor and per that MFP overestimates my calories burned from cardio but underestimates for strength training type stuff.. I don't know if there are more accurate online calculators if you really want more accurate numbers maybe grab a heart rate monitor

HRM with Chest straps are only accurate for steady state cardio..not weight lifting.

OP For me the exercise calories from MFP were spot on...
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Nobody is complaining. Just trying to help you out and let you know how you will be perceived by most people. It's just a common understanding on the internet as a whole. :)
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To make it easier to read, adjust the text size of everything on the screen.

In the top of the browser, go to "Tools" or the little gear icon. Hit that and look at "Zoom," go from 100% up to whatever is easy on your eyes, say 120% or so probably.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

Nobody is complaining. Just trying to help you out and let you know how you will be perceived by most people. It's just a common understanding on the internet as a whole. :)

i get it...............!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

apparently a big deal.......... no more!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I got myself a chest heart rate monitor and per that MFP overestimates my calories burned from cardio but underestimates for strength training type stuff.. I don't know if there are more accurate online calculators if you really want more accurate numbers maybe grab a heart rate monitor

HRM with Chest straps are only accurate for steady state cardio..not weight lifting.

even for something it does not have, such as hot power vinyasa flow yoga? it says 369. i have looked at many, many sites and the numbers range from 500-1000?
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    why is it people are so quick to point out what they perceive as incorrect, all caps, instead of focusing on the topic. peace! j
  • JosetteGetsFit
    JosetteGetsFit Posts: 55 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    why is it people are so quick to point out what they perceive as incorrect, all caps, instead of focusing on the topic. peace! j
    Because they are insecure, enjoy drama and have to find fault in others to build themselves up. Don't cha' know? lol

No worries. Who really cares.

As far as work out calories none if it is 100% I have a Fitbit Charge HR, a Map My Run Heart Rate Monitor, a Polar HRM and a Garmin HRM. I've tested all of them and for me the Fitbit Charge HR is the least accurate for Heart Rate not showing high enough HR. The Map My Run is way too high and the Garmin and Polar are about the same. So for me I go off either the Polar or Garmin.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I AM JUST WONDERING HOW ACCURATE THIS IS WHEN IT COMES TO CALORIES BURNED IN EXERCISE? I DO HOT YOGA....I BELIEVE FROM RESEARCH THE NUMBER IS LOW. I ALSO GARDEN PROFESSIONALLY AND THINK THE COUNT IS HIGH. DOES ANYONE WHO WORKS OUT REGULARLY WONDER OR FIND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED SOMEWHERE ELSE? THANKS FOR THE HELP. JEN

Jen,

Yoga and gardening are part of your activity level, so they are not counted as extra exercise. Count cardio calories only, and eat only about half back because they are not very accurate at all when using internet resources or phone apps. I've had good luck with heart rate monitors, though they are all just estimates.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

even for something it does not have, such as hot power vinyasa flow yoga? it says 369. i have looked at many, many sites and the numbers range from 500-1000?

When I did circuit training it gave me 160 calories for 28mins...I always ate them back and lost 1lb a week like I wanted.

With MFP I believe it's based on an average calculation and the suggestion is to eat back 50-75% of the calories given and if you find you are losing too fast or too slow adjust...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Because it is common knowledge on the internet that typing in all caps is yelling and it is considered rude to type things in all caps. Maybe the OP didn't mean to be rude, but obviously a lot of people were bothered by it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

WE'RE JUST TRYING TO HELP!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I AM JUST WONDERING HOW ACCURATE THIS IS WHEN IT COMES TO CALORIES BURNED IN EXERCISE? I DO HOT YOGA....I BELIEVE FROM RESEARCH THE NUMBER IS LOW. I ALSO GARDEN PROFESSIONALLY AND THINK THE COUNT IS HIGH. DOES ANYONE WHO WORKS OUT REGULARLY WONDER OR FIND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED SOMEWHERE ELSE? THANKS FOR THE HELP. JEN

Jen,

Yoga and gardening are part of your activity level, so they are not counted as extra exercise. Count cardio calories only, and eat only about half back because they are not very accurate at all when using internet resources or phone apps. I've had good luck with heart rate monitors, though they are all just estimates.

yoga is cardio! hot power vinyasa is about as much cardio as you could get in an hour. gardening is not an everyday thing.....it also burns a lot of calories when you manage an estate. i do not eat back my excercise calories, unless i feel hungry.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

WE'RE JUST TRYING TO HELP!

as i have said now at least 5-7 times i get it. peace
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

everyone notices the caps, but no one notices i said " i get it" . 5 times or more.