Roasting vegetable-extra virgin olive oil

Options
I've just started roasting vegetables and wow they are delicious.

My question - how much evoo do you log into mfp?
If I use say 2 Tbs or even more if doing a big batch - by the time I roast/eat them - some of that is left on the pan - I'm wondering if some evaporates during the roasting process - so I don't know if I'd want to plug in 2Tbs into mfp when I probably didn't really consume that much.

Just wondering what everyone else does for this.

Thanks.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    The vegetables will soak up some of the oil, the only way to know how much is to measure what oil is left. I don't bother and just log the amount I've added and at least I know it's under and not over in calories.
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies in evoo are so delicious! I roast veggies this way pretty often. When I do, I usually log the total amount of oil I use, even though some is left on the pan. Since weight loss is my goal, I figure that I'd rather overestimate my calorie consumption than underestimate it and accidentally consume to much. Though, I also try use as little oil as possible, so the difference between what I use and what I end up eating is not so great. If you find that there is a lot of excess oil on the pan after roasting, you might consider rounding down slightly how much evoo you log to be more accurate.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't do yourself a disservice by counting inaccurately. Count the full amount you add in.

UNLESS you are using SO MUCH oil that you can measure the before and leftovers. I'm talking if you're using much much more than tablespoons.

p.s. i mean if you're creating a recipe which i highly recommend. I create one recipe for the entire thing and then i just log the portion 1/2, 1/4 etc. i actually ate.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your money using Extra virgin olive oil for roasting - that is best left for food where you are really going to notice the taste of the oil. Use just regular olive oil for roasting. And I count the calories of the oil I added divided by the number of servings I get from the dish - 2 TBSP olive oil for a dish that serves 4 is .5 TBSP per serve - thats what I count.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use an entry for roasted vegetables-which tend to be higher than entry for steamed for example. This estimate has always worked for me. if i use, for example, 200 calories of evoo and eat, for example, 1/6 of the whole recipe-I figure I am getting 33.33 more calories than if I just ate them raw. The entry for MFB for "grilled cauliflower" is 83 calories for 4 ounces, against 27 if it were raw.

One important disclaimer is that no matter how carefully I measured, I lost faster than MFP predicted; so I was not worried about making a slight error.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I almost never use oil for roasting vegetables. You can roast without it. However, if I do add oil for some reason, I always count the full amount that I've added. Some of the stuff left in the pan is water from the vegetables and the vegetables have soaked up some oil. Rather than worry about undercounting, I count it all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil spray, and use an mfp entry × 2, because i dont count the seconds i spray.