Rant: Bathing Suit Body

Options
LindzMiche
LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
So I am pretty frustrated. 3 years ago, I hit my goal of losing 100 lbs by hitting 160 lbs. I'm currently maintaining it and have been for those last 3 years. I weigh around 165 usually and cycle + or - 3 lbs. I feel like my body is happy here. This is what I can maintain without killing myself.

I jumped back on MFP after the holidays because.. of course.. holidays.. and I got above a weight that I'm comfortable at.. and I'm getting married in May. I've done so well lately that I'm back at 160 (a weight I dont generally get to) and I'm poised to lose a few more but I dont feel like I should go near or below 150. I'd probably look like skeletor. I'm 5'8 and fairly muscular. For reference and im probably up almost 10 lbs in this pic: 2yoq3jp.jpg

Because I'm so goal oriented, I was thinking about keeping it up until my honeymoon.. at which point I would like to slip into a bikini.. something I've never done because I've been heavy my entire life. I have tons of extra skin and stretch marks everywhere.. you know, things that make most people self conscious.

I run, I am a triathlete, I work out 5 times a week.. so why should I not be comfortable with myself? I can do this. I work at it. I'm going to do that bikini thing.

Here is my biggest frustration.. I try to get some motivation this morning. I google things like "major weight-loss transformation bikini" or "100 lb weight loss bathing suit" and all I see are people who look like fitness models.. or who have lost no where near the weight I had to lose.. with flat stomachs.. etc.

I just wanted to see some bodies like mine.. with the saggy belly skin.. with the stretch marks.. with the sad looking belly button that always frowns. The arm flaps and the skin rolls.

It really makes me feel bad about myself.. honestly. I did this HUGE thing and lost all this weight and have been able to maintain it for years.. and I just feel bad because I can't find people like me in swimwear.

Is that what society is promoting? Those super flat stomachs and abs and it's only impressive if you look like a swim suit model after you're done with weight loss? (not that it isn't impressive) Even those women and men in People magazine.. wow!

I know there are people with my story.. who can't afford tummy tucks or dont want one. Where are those pictures? I just want to know that people with saggy skin and stretch marks are getting out there and flauntin it. I just need that for whatever reason.

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do what you do best and lead out! Post it! It's amazing what you have done.
    It's personal. It took me a looooong time to post my before's AND after's. But that's based on my own feelings about me.
  • big2strongCO
    big2strongCO Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    today.com/health/womans-real-post-weight-loss-bikini-pic-goes-viral-2D79630476

Check out this story that the today show ran. Very similar situation. I too have lost over 100 lbs. and have extra skin and it bothers me as well. I tell people that I feel like the 215lb. (very fit for my build) man wearing a 330lb. man suit. So be proud of your body and stretch marks, to those that know it shows your power and dedication.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you just have to differentiate the internet from reality. Everything you look up on google can make you feel inferior.

The reality is 95% of people at the beach don't look like fitness models. But you are a healthy athlete who competes in triathlons. That's what you should be proud of. Who else at the beach can even do what you do? Who else in society, period? Health always wins over vanity and I'd hate to see something as miniscule as a bathing suit draw your attention away from your amazing athletic achievements. :smile:
  • therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to differentiate the internet from reality. Everything you look up on google can make you feel inferior.

The reality is 95% of people at the beach don't look like fitness models. But you are a healthy athlete who competes in triathlons. That's what you should be proud of. Who else at the beach can even do what you do? Who else in society, period? Health always wins over vanity and I'd hate to see something as miniscule as a bathing suit draw your attention away from your amazing athletic achievements. :smile:

Spot on.
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I was just pretty distraught when I couldn't find anything. For whatever reason I just needed to see those pictures. I love your pictures, LiveLoveLift. Thank you so much for sharing them. I'm going to look for a bathing suit soon. Doing it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find a suit that flatters you.

i wore a bikini when i was bigger and now.

there are some super cute retro bikinis with the really high waists, if thats an area you are wanting to disguise a little. for myself, i prefer ones that end about 3 fingers below my belly button. im super short (and short waisted) and anything higher than that just cuts me off weird and looks strange (to me). but thats just me...
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    @LindzMiche you are amazing and an inspiration to me! I can understand your frustration though. Personally I would love to see more people like the ones you mention. Why not lead the way? :)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    kqz04pu0zr8m.jpg

I am not sure if this will show up because im not so great at attaching pics. Congrats on your weight loss and all of the things that you continue to do to keep fit . After an 80 pound loss i know what you mean about stretch marks, loose skin and that belly button frown. I have them all. However, with what you have accomplished you deserve to wear anything that you damn well choose as long as you feel comfortable doing so. you earned that bikini. You are more than loose skin and stretch marks. Find a bikini that suits your body ( some are high waisted) and might make you feel more comfortable in wearing it.

Also you will be in a place where you wont even know anyone so who cares what strangers may think of you. That is their problem. I'm pretty sure the new hubby wont be able to keep his eyes off you.

You have done some pretty amazing things that i am sure have put you out of your comfort zone....now here is another thing.

Your transformation is fantastic!! Congrats

OP, do what ever makes YOU feel good. You've worked hard enjoy it!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I hope you had a wonderful time!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I hope that you felt great and that you were confident in your success!!
  • revell2003
    revell2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YEAH! Way to go!
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you put on that bikini and you freaking rock it!!! you got this! you only have one life! life it and be proud! I would be!
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You're beautiful! And judging by that smile on your husband's face, he knows it.
  • michellelowery90
    michellelowery90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues!!! I think to myself "I've put in so much work and come so far and still I can't reach the body that I want because of all this skin!!" I bought I high waisted swim suit and it really helped me get out there without showing the extra skin I'm carrying around my stomach!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You are hot
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Ya, when I lived in South Florida I went to a clothing optional beach over 200 times and for sure there were no fitness models there.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This thread is just plain kick *kitten*.

Congrats OP.