Anybody lost weight drinking diet soda?

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    Of course. As you said, it has zero calories. Why would it affect your weight loss?

cause i hear horror stories how the sodium or the aspartame in it can make your body cling to fat lol

Some people find drinking diet soda causes them to be hungrier, so they eat more calories than they should. That shouldn't be a problem if you're tracking your intake and if you find that it does make you hungrier then you can adjust or cut it out. And some people notice some bloating with it. That's not fat gain, but if you react to it you can choose whether or not to cut it.

But the rest is just nonsense. There's only 85 mg of sodium in my diet dr pepper. That's on par with some tap waters. And aspartame is one of the most heavily studied substances in the world. It does not and can not cause fat storage in a calorie deficit.
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake of drinking a lot at night! I couldn't sleep! Beware of the caffeine if you drink just right before bed time. Lack of sleep made working out the next day so bad. >D But it's a good alternative to plain water if you need something sweet.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I drink diet all the time. I am not going to give it up. 0 calories and I like it so Im keeping it. Worse things in life to do to your body.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I drink cola light, dont like the syrupy stuff x
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Lost a hundred pounds drinking 2 or 3 a day. Studies showing that people who drink diet soda weigh more are not causal studies. Diet soda does not cause weight gain or prevent weight loss. There are some studies that suggest that people who drink diet soda may eat more calories because they overcompensate for the lack in the soda - "Oh, I can eat that bag of cookies because there are no calories in my soda!" And dieters are naturally more likely to choose a diet drink! That said, there are other problems with diet soda, but you have to choose your own poison, eh?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple nearly every day. And, I don't even log them and I still lose weight. It's magic!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Drink it daily its never hindered my efforts.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sodas all the time, though lately I tend to restrict them to meals.
  • jxb1959
    jxb1959 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband switched from Coke to Coke Zero and lost 30 lbs so fast that people thought he was ill. The dentist finally talked him into cutting way down on the Coke Zero because the phosphoric acid in cola was causing tooth sensitivity.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, zero calorie energy drinks, amino energy...I drink all of these things on a daily basis.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    Of course. As you said, it has zero calories. Why would it affect your weight loss?

cause i hear horror stories how the sodium or the aspartame in it can make your body cling to fat lol

Many people fear what they don't understand. Aspartame is made up of two naturally occurring amino acids. And yes, while some will report increase hungry, you have to consider if it's psychological or behavioral; meaning, people tell themselves they can eat more because they are drinking no calories. In a small subset of people, artificial sweeteners cause headaches. But in a thread of hundreds of post, it's usually 1 or 2 people.

<--- 2-4 a day.
  • xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the responses! I honestly didnt think it was possible to lose weight while drinking diet soda LOL I'm glad to know that at least I dont have to cut it out completely! :smile:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily and I'm down 90lbs.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I drink one a day too, and have been for a while. It's not affecting my weight loss :smile: if anything, I think it's helping my weight loss because I drink it when I have a sugar craving and it's helped every single time so far!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Is diet soda already a part of your regular diet?

If so, it will have no effect on weight loss the zero calories are already factored into your baseline consumption, and any hunger triggers that some people experience with aspartame would also be part of your normal routine.

If not, then diet soda could have a positive effect on weight loss as you would be replacing caloric beverages with something with no (or negligible) calories. If you do happen to be one of those people who finds aspartame triggers cravings, then accurately logging your calories should help you mitigate that.

Bottom line I drank diet soda when I was at my skinniest in college, when I was at my heaviest 5 years ago, and while I was losing weight to achieve a healthy BMI now. So my conclusion is that this zero calorie beverage doesn't hinder weight loss...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet coke for years ... a couple decades ... and I remained slender most of that time. About the time I started drinking sugared drinks slightly more often, I gained weight. Back to diet coke again and I lost 25 kg/55 lbs. Of course there were other factors involved too. :)