Prelog

Options
How many of you prelog what you are going to eat for the day? Do you find this helpful? I feel like this would help me, I'm just curious to see how successful others are with it.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    All the time. It's a good plan for the day and makes it easier to stay on track.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Another vote for pre-logging, and adding one for bulk cooking
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    That's my preferred plan. Since the lovely Mrs Jruzer makes dinner in the evening I just leave an 800 kcal allowance for it. Otherwise I plan out my other meals including desired snacks. I then get an exercise calorie goal for the day too.
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely most successful at keeping on track when I pre-log. It is so helpful. I plan days in advance, but I'm also flexible and go back and change things in my log if I end up deviating from my plan. It is just super helpful to have an outline of what I plan on eating helps me keep on track, planning meals that are very healthy and choosing the right snacks if I find myself hungry during the day. I find when I plan ahead I am less likely to make unhealthy spontaneous food choices. It also helps me meet all of my macro/micro nutrient goals because I can plan my meals accordingly. I love to cook, and before I try a new recipe I enter it on MFP and see if it fits my calorie/macro goals for a particular day and if there are any substitutions I can make to make it more healthy.

One of the other benefits is that it helps with my grocery bill. If I have clear plans for my meals and snacks several days in advance, I can shop more effectively and only get what I need. Gone are the days of overbuying and produce going bad before I get around to eating it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre log too, so I know how many flex calories I have - the ones that arent already accounted for by my meals and planned snacks. I also tend to plan out a week or more menu plans that help with shopping, and I always have some basics on hand for spur of the moment meals, in case something comes up and I cant do the planned one (like I fogot to take the pork chops out of the freezer)
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I pre-log too. It's completely a mental thing but once it's logged I feel like I have to stick with the plan.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont log now, but did log and pre log for a long long time.

for me, it wasnt set in stone, but it did give me a good guideline of what was going to happen food wise that day, and I could work in the higher calorie meals (eating out) that my ex and i used to do all the time.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging is great for knowing exactly how much you can eat for dinner and remain within your deficit.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I pre-log all the time. I have started food listing for 500 Calories to be added later for lunch and supper. If I do not eat it, it gets deleted. If I change my mind, the new listing is logged.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I pre-log! It helps me tremendously. In fact, I tell my hubby he can always see what we're going to have for dinner each night just by looking at my diary.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I prelog every day, sometimes even a day or two in advance. I basically know what I am going to eat every day (I basically the same meals over and over and eat based on what is in my fridge). I do allow for changes on the fly but I will log before I cook/eat

It's very helpful for me and I find in a moment of weakness when I want to mindlessly snack I can think about what my next meal will consist of (because I already know) and I can put it off for a while longer.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I pre-log all the time. I have started food listing for 500 Calories to be added later for lunch and supper. If I do not eat it, it gets deleted. If I change my mind, the new listing is logged.

I do this with a much larger amount of cals to block in date night or a social event. Helps me work my weekly cals out a little better ahead of time, as I would rather bank ahead than play catch up from behind.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    wrharvill wrote: »
    I pre-log! It helps me tremendously. In fact, I tell my hubby he can always see what we're going to have for dinner each night just by looking at my diary.

My hubby just copies my entries and then changes the serving sizes. I can't recall the last time I copied from him, tho. LOL
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I always prelog dinner. It helps me know what I can eat the rest of the day. Right now I have breakfast tomorrow pre-logged because I know what I'm having.