Is it worth it?

Options
Again, I went over my calories with the holiday and birthday celebrations. Although I am getting depressed, I still want to do this. I know I went WAY over my calories yesterday and just wondering if it is worth it to log the calories? A lot of food I have eaten in the past few days has been from going out to dinner (at a nice restaurant, not a chain) where all the food is fresh, farm to table but that doesn't exactly mean sauce/butter/fat/bread free! And yesterday was a salad at lunch (but it had dressing, again from a non-chain restaurant) and then upsettingly pizza for dinner. And definitely one too many slices. just wondering if it is worth trying to guesstimate the calories or just move forward and try to be good from here on out (it is HARD to be social and good at the same time!). Have many of you felt like you have lost an element of your social life because of this?

Thanks again! I wish I was posting good motivational ideas instead of complaints. Uggh.

Replies

• jokhazen
    jokhazen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would probably not calculate the calories as much as manually write down your food intake and just look at what you've eaten. If you stare at the calories you might depress yourself right now. So if you look at the food you can say, "well okay that was a lot of food but today i'll be good and log my calories" That way you don't have to gestimate and frustrate yourself :) Just an idea.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I am down 52lbs and without counting calories, I would have never gotten here. I do think, however, that it varies from person to person. If it is not working for you, try something else. Bad idea to turn to any kind of fad diets/diet pills. I wish you the best!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I go way over, I just come to the realization that I'm not going to lose this week and I decide that next week I'm going to do my best to stay in my calories but because I went over so much last week, I'm not going to get my hopes up for a loss because honestly you'll probably just maintain... but keep working hard and you'll get back to losing again.

And no, with the social aspect, if you go out with someone, suggest going to a place where you know they have nutrition listed on their website or that you know you can find entries in the database for it... most chain places do and if I go out, I just look it up on MFP, decide what I want and you just gotta stick with it. Otherwise, just try to stick with a basic chicken breast (no sauce) and veggies.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    That is awesome for you, I actually think counting the calories DOES work for me, but my point is since i KNOW I went wayyyyy over, is it worth it to try and calculate (even though I would just be guessing).
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I log no matter what. I find the act of logging in my calories helps me to stop eating any more. It feels like I am being accountable to all of you. Don't get discouraged. You CAN do this! Forgive youself this day and move on to making better choices when faced with them. :flowerforyou:
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I try to count all the calories when I know I go over, just to see how much over. But I like tracking everything (you should see my spreadsheets). I also don't beat myself up over it or try to go under the next day. Just don't do it too often (said more to myself, ha ha)
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to log those things. Sometimes I freak out when I know I've had a splurge day; but when I log everything I find I didn't deviate too far and it was only my panic blowing things out of proportion. Like maybe I went over on fat, but I stayed within my calorie range. Or my sodium was horrendous, but everything else was not too bad. You might be able to "look at the bright side" by logging these things or else it will make you accountable and you'll be able to set more limits next time. Also, it's okay to have a bad day or a bad weekend...it happens to everyone :)
  • sd688
    sd688 Posts: 7
    Options
    I completely understand how you are feeling. I have the same dilemma. I totally over did it this weekend. I ate whatever was available at our bbqs and then some. I didn't log in my calories and I am not going to. I think it will make me feel worse. I would just move on and start over. That is what I am doing. I think the only way that I would not binge at parties or on holidays is bring my own meal. Although it seems sort of rude it is really the only way to know how many calories that you are eating. I still struggle with the social aspect of eating so if anyone has any more suggestions please share.
  • KarenStapler
    Options
    I treat every day as a brand new start. Don't borrow worry from yesterday nor from tomorrow.

I didn't log anything for the last two days....i didn't want to know how badly I'd blown it. I did weigh this morning, though, and I didn't gain (or lose) anything. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, and I'm glad to get back into my normal routine.

Holidays/special meals always throw me for a loop, especially if someone else prepared it, because I don't even know where to start in estimating calories since I wasn't privy to the ingredient list.

By using measuring cups/spoons most of the time to control portion size and calories, I have at least learned more about judging what a serving size is supposed to look like when I'm eating out somewhere. This helps some.
    (And why is a tablespoon of medicine is SO much more than a tablespoon of mayo? lol)

Good Luck!