Sugar alternatives

Options
What are the best sugar alternatives out there??

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer sugar. I don't like the aftertaste of any of the alternatives that I've tried.

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding "best." Are you wondering about flavour?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No or low calorie =Sweet n Low, Splenda, Equal
    Calorie= honey, maple syrup, agave
  • crystalp1980
    crystalp1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    By best I mean no yucky aftertaste or one that has the least. I prefer sugar as well but I want to cut down on my sugar intake.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well there is sugar...as in fructose, glucose, lactose etc which covers the sweetness in everything like granulated sugar, honey, fruit, raisins milk etc

To put in perspective
    10g sugar (white granulated) is 38 calories
    10g of honey is 30 calories

Meh, s'nothing

Then there is aspartame and saccharine and their like which are not sugar
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Liquid stevia. No calories. Just don't add too much or it gets a bitter after taste for some.

I find 1 dropper full is about 1/4-1/3 cup sugar or 1-2 drops is about a teaspoon of sugar.

Any crystal/solid sweeteners will have calories. A buling agent is needed. Things like splenda and sweet n'low use dextrose or dextrin which is basically sugar. As a diabetic, those will affect my blood glucose.

Sugar alcohols work for some. Xylitol is low calorie and does not affect my BG, although it can affect my bathroom habits. Erythritol affects my BG.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    By best I mean no yucky aftertaste or one that has the least. I prefer sugar as well but I want to cut down on my sugar intake.

If you are logging here, take a look at where you are getting the most sugar and use that information to make changes. I like using unsweetened applesauce on my oatmeal to sweeten it a bit. Of course there is sugar in the applesauce, but I know that I would add a lot more calories worth of sugar if I were to sweeten it with brown sugar. I use peanut butter and jam on pancakes. I learned to drink my tea without any cream or sugar. This smaller changes worked well, and I don't rely on artificial sweeteners. Not that there is anything wrong with sugar or sweeteners.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Depends what you mean. Do you mean sugar you add to tea/coffee, or to baking, or porridge?
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use a product called "Monk Fruit in the Raw" (available on Amazon)
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Stevia
  • kiariv
    kiariv Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you must continue with sugar, please use pure cane sugar, demerara, turbinado. Coconut sugar is also a good one. For a sugar substitute pure stevia is the best imo.
  • Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stevie or honey. Honey has a caloric intake but a lot of health benefits
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I use either Sweet and Low or Splenda to lightly sweeten my tea. Sometimes I add a little honey if I'm going for that flavor. The best way to find out what is best for you would be to try them and find out. What I like is not going to be what the next person likes.
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Splenda is my go-to for coffee and tea. Honey is also nice on/in certain things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kiariv wrote: »
    If you must continue with sugar, please use pure cane sugar, demerara, turbinado. Coconut sugar is also a good one. For a sugar substitute pure stevia is the best imo.

Why @kiariv ?

What difference does it make?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Its Splenda for me,
    In coffee or tea

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use sugar, but also honey, maple syrup, aspartame, saccharin - really anything except sugar alcohols, which have a horrible effect on my digestive system.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I use honey, splenda and maple syrup to sweeten things.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Honey mmmm
  • tludvik
    tludvik Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SWERVE!!!! When a recipe calls for granulated sugar, this is the best. NO aftertaste. I use it sparingly, though, since I'm minimizing all sugar intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Depends what you mean. Do you mean sugar you add to tea/coffee, or to baking, or porridge?

This is really the question.

I almost never use sugar at home. Basically, when I bake -- and then I don't use substitutes -- and a bit in rhubarb, although I've mostly learned to replace that by also using cherries or some other sweeter fruit. I use berries in oatmeal, drink coffee black. I've used honey in some savory dishes, but not as a replacement for table sugar.

If I liked sweetened hot beverages, I'd figure out the calories and either keep the sugar (it shouldn't be that many calories), replace with honey if I liked the taste better (calories would be the same), or if for some reason I used a whole lot I'd try cutting back or artificial sugars. I'm not against artificial sugars -- I prefer diet soda to regular (which I find undrinkable) and enjoy a vanilla protein powder with stevia on occasion -- but just wouldn't mess around with my baked goods, since it's not like I eat them that often, and can't really think of any other major use of sugar.