How can I still fit my calories in while at work?

Hi! I am a 19 year old female (20 on Thursday :) ), and I am on a weight gain journey. I have been on this journey for a very long time, but I realize I fail to get the results I want because I get discouraged so easy and have trouble consuming enough food. Contrary to popular belief, gaining weight is DEFINITELY not easy for everyone. I have always been thin since I was a child. I am now 5'10 and 105lbs. I have been using a supplement on and off for about a year and some change to gain weight called Apetamin. It increases your appetite. I try to get to 3000 calories a day, but sometimes I don't reach that. My breakfast is always 1000+ calories. I want to know some ways I can still get the required about of calories in to gain while Im at work or being active in general. I work 6 hrs a week, not including Wednesdays and Sundays. My ultimate goal is 120, and then I will increase from there. Any USEFUL tips will help.

* Please save the rude, uncalled for commentary for someone else... thanks again

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Bring on the peanut M&M's! While you're at work... maybe you can tempt yourself to graze on snacks. It's what those who need to lose weight often find they have the most trouble cutting out. So maybe you can try to add it in...

My advice would be to try to eat high calorie foods, if you're having trouble getting in more food. Avocados, soups using heavy cream, coffee with cream, cashews, ribeyes... Load on the sauces too. Full fat dressings and dipping sauces, creamy pasta sauces... top with shredded cheeses...

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    full fat milk products (yogurt, cheese, milk),
    no light or diet foods opt for full cal/fat versions,
    drink your cals, milk, juice, smoothies, etc
    Add olive oil to soups and sauces
    Snack on nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit
    nut butters spread on anything
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    Oh! And try to start drinking more calories. Fruit smoothies, milk, juices, etc.

ETA: Whoops, poster above beat me to it haha.

Try making your food fried rather than poached, steamed or baked. Flour coat your fish and chicken. Switch from chicken breast to thighs...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Met-rx makes a big 100 protein bar in several flavors. Generally 30+ grams of protein and 30p-400 caloreis depending on the variety. Sold at health food stores bit also at walmart,etc where they are cheape. Taste pretty good
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Just bring snacks to work that can be eaten quickly. Trail mix, nuts, protein bars, protein shakes, peanut butter and crackers, anything like that.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    We should be friends, I'm in the same boat and have been my whole life. I've found I get hungrier by working out (toning) daily. Push-ups, planking, basic squats all burn minimal calories but work enough muscle to make me ravenous.

At work, I'm a fan of cliff bars and such. They're not THAT filling, so I can do a protein mix in a shaker bottle with it. I don't get many chances for food at work, so it has to be fast, count for something, and not just be sugar filled crap. Feeling like crap from high calorie foods deters me from all foods.

And how on earth do you get to 3k?! I have trouble with 2100 a day! Usually I'm under that! Maybe I need lessons from you haha
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Have you tried anything like Boost? I think they make a higher calorie one for those trying to gain or maintain healthy weight. I saw one at my dad's, but not sure if it was prescription.
  • jbradyho
    jbradyho Posts: 11 Member
    I've recently started increasing calories and try to hit 2600 a day. And when I say 2600 calories, it's mostly healthy stuff. 700 of those are strictly from ensure plus. I have borderline high cholesterol so I disagree with the folks telling u to eat junk. Brown rice and avocados are some of the foods that I try to eat when I need to fit in extra calories though. I've been doing the increase in calories + working out for just a few weeks and have gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I recommend googling healthy foods high in calories and going from there based on things you like and know you will eat. Exercise and building muscle will also cause you to gain weight and increase your appetite. Limit your cardio though and focus on strength training...first with body weight exercises and then add weights.. ps. I'm a 31yo 102lb female. Been small my whole life and haven't weighed over 100lbs in about 8 years until starting all of this recently.
  • keziatk
    keziatk Posts: 25 Member
    jbradyho wrote: »
    I've recently started increasing calories and try to hit 2600 a day. And when I say 2600 calories, it's mostly healthy stuff. 700 of those are strictly from ensure plus. I have borderline high cholesterol so I disagree with the folks telling u to eat junk. Brown rice and avocados are some of the foods that I try to eat when I need to fit in extra calories though. I've been doing the increase in calories + working out for just a few weeks and have gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I recommend googling healthy foods high in calories and going from there based on things you like and know you will eat. Exercise and building muscle will also cause you to gain weight and increase your appetite. Limit your cardio though and focus on strength training...first with body weight exercises and then add weights.. ps. I'm a 31yo 102lb female. Been small my whole life and haven't weighed over 100lbs in about 8 years until starting all of this recently.

Awesome advice! Thanks so much
  • keziatk
    keziatk Posts: 25 Member
    avadahm wrote: »
    We should be friends, I'm in the same boat and have been my whole life. I've found I get hungrier by working out (toning) daily. Push-ups, planking, basic squats all burn minimal calories but work enough muscle to make me ravenous.

At work, I'm a fan of cliff bars and such. They're not THAT filling, so I can do a protein mix in a shaker bottle with it. I don't get many chances for food at work, so it has to be fast, count for something, and not just be sugar filled crap. Feeling like crap from high calorie foods deters me from all foods.

And how on earth do you get to 3k?! I have trouble with 2100 a day! Usually I'm under that! Maybe I need lessons from you haha

I never make it to 3k! It's very hard
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Have you tried anything like Boost? I think they make a higher calorie one for those trying to gain or maintain healthy weight. I saw one at my dad's, but not sure if it was prescription.

You can get Boost Very High Calorie (530 calories in 8 ounces!) on Amazon. It's about $45 for a box of 27 drinks. It does NOT need a prescription :)
    In fact, my doctor wanted me to drink this. Because it's OTC, my insurance wouldn't pay for it, and I'm low income and can't afford $50+ on just drinks (already breaking my budget with $200 for regular groceries), so my doctor bought it for me! Now I have a feeding tube, so insurance pays for another type of formula... though it's not really as good. It's only 350 per drink, and gives me the runs... Boost didn't upset my system at all!

As far as I know, Boost VHC only comes in vanilla... but you could put it in a blender with some berries, or chocolate sauce or something to change the flavor. Also, be warned that it's rather thick and rich, like runny pudding. I always diluted it with at least 4 ounces of whole milk (plus flavor addititves)