Crock Pot Meals?

Options
nina4w
nina4w Posts: 126 Member
So, I'm making red beans (to go with rice) for the first time in a crock pot. This has lead to me singing "Baby Got Back" cause, you know, red beans and rice did miss her.

Are there any other crock pot meals that all y'all enjoy?

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There's this chicken arribiata recipe I found on pinterest that is stupid easy and keeps me right in the sweet spot for calories if I eat it with zoodles.

Oatmeal. Oatmeal does all kinds of wonderful, delicious things in the crock pot as well.
  • nina4w
    Options
    Oatmeal...in a crock pot? I AM INTRIGUED!

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A little high in calories for a tolerable portion, but my comfort food that I make around final exams is great northern beans (white beans) and sausage in the crock pot! Soak the dry beans and then place in crock pot, cover with water, add sliced kielbasa sausage, salt, garlic, and tomatoes (I add tomato sauce and paste because I don't like tomato chunks, although I'm sure they would cook down. I don't like to take risks though). Cook on high for 8+ hours or until beans are tender!
    You can eat them plain or with rice! So good!

I'll also just do chicken with salsa (shred the chicken) and serve with fajita veggies. I made a lime beef with stew meat, 7 up, chili powder, and garlic (shred the beef when done).

Now I want to dig out my crock pot!!!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I do this one all the time in the winter.

http://cavemanketo.com/chorizo-and-chicken-soup/
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Look into pressure cookers if you want the same effect in 15 minutes rather than 3 hours
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Here is my go to crock pot recipe - it smells great when you come into the house at the end of the day. I have left it to cook for 9 hours, and as long as 14 hours (got home later than planned) and it was fine. Serve with a green salad, mashed potatoes or any side you like.

Cut however much round steak you need to feed your family into serving size pieces, and put into the crockpot.
    Combine 1 can of cream of mushroom (or asparagus or celery or whatever) with one pouch of onion soup mix.
    Pour that over the round steak. turn on cooker to low. Walk away. Come back at least 8 hours later. Eat.

there tends to be a fair bit of sodium in this recipe due to the onion soup mix, so dont add salt at all to this dish before tasting.

Crusty bread or rolls with this to soak up the gravy that is created is de rigeur.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my instant pot!!! It also slow cooks but is an electric pressure cooker (won't blow up like the old fashioned ones could...I never used them because I was afraid...lol). I cooked a whole chicken .99/lb in less than an hour and it was super tender and juicy! I've cooked lots of stuff in it including the easiest peeling hard boiled eggs I've cooked in my life. There's YouTube videos of tons of stuff you can cook in them:) Check it out..got mine on Amazon.
  • fortcox
    fortcox Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Porkchops smothered with Cream of chicken mixed with 1 pack of Ranch seasoning. Cook for 4 hours.
    The gravy is devine over Rice, potatoes, grits and even vegetables.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I LOVE my instant pot!!! It also slow cooks but is an electric pressure cooker (won't blow up like the old fashioned ones could...I never used them because I was afraid...lol). I cooked a whole chicken .99/lb in less than an hour and it was super tender and juicy! I've cooked lots of stuff in it including the easiest peeling hard boiled eggs I've cooked in my life. There's YouTube videos of tons of stuff you can cook in them:) Check it out..got mine on Amazon.
    I picked one up on Prime Day and have been using it like crazy. Just today, I cooked some chickpeas for a future recipe and quick cooked my next batch of veggies. It certainly beats eating my veggies raw. Whole chicken and octopus are certainly on my list of things to try.

This pumpkin pork recipe is something I cannot recommend enough. I should try it again now that I actually have some ACV.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bone broth
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Whenever I use a crock pot, it's usually either for dry beans, a roast or a meat stew.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chicken & Veggies Stew
    chicken breast, black beans, corn, red bell pepper, onion, diced tomatoes, seasoned with garlic, paprika, cumin seed, chili powder, black pepper, and a can of cream of chicken.

Beef & Veggies Stew
    lean beef chunks, potatoes, carrots, onion, seasoned with garlic, paprika, black pepper, a can of cream of mushroom, and Worcestershire sauce.

Turkey Chili
    lean turkey, red kidney beans, portobello mushrooms, onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasoned with garlic, paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and black pepper.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in summer I'll do peach crisp. . Now that I'm using MFP, I'll have to find a different way to do the oat crumble on top, since it calls for 3/4 cup butter (!).

Peach Crisp
    2 lbs frozen peaches OR 2 cans peaches
    2/3 cup flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 cup softened butter
    2/3 cup oats
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

Put peaches in slow cooker. Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Add butter and sour until crumbly. Pour over peaches. Low 3 hours. It's really good!
  • nina4w
    Options
    This is all excellent!

As for the pressure cooker, I've used them before. Always afraid of blowing up my face but I'll have to see about getting my own. (Usually use my boyfriend's family's pressure cooker.)