Should you snack or not?

Options
Is it best to snack or try to go as long as possible between meals?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You do you - if snacking works for you and keeps you within your calorie goals, then snack. Meal timing and frequency is really a matter of personal preference - there is no 'right' time/way to eat your meals that works for everyone.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    It really just comes down to personal preference. Some people do better eating small amounts throughout the day and others do better with eating 3 meals a day. Whichever works best to keep you in your deficit is the best. I personally eat 3 meals a day and sometimes have a snack after dinner (it is really just dessert, but I usually wait about an hour or so before eating it). That works for me, but might not work for you.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack between meals. Unless booze counts as snacks of course!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Whatever helps you stay at your calorie goal. For some people, that will mean snacking. For others, not.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, I snack. I try and eat every 2 hours. I will have breakfast at 8 am, a snack of fruit at 10 am, lunch at around 12 pm, another snack of veggies or yogurt at 2 pm. I eat dinner between 5 and 6 and then will have a healthy small snack around 7 or 7:30. This works for me and keeps me in check. But what works for me might not work for you :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    While losing, after I figured out what timing/macro composition of eating was most satiating for me, I rarely got hungry unless it was coming up on time to eat. On the rare occasions when I did get hungry "off schedule", I would eat an unplanned small protein-y snack, and allow for the calories within that day. That helped me avoid over-eating. (Example snacks might be a half-ounce of dry-roasted soybeans or peanuts, a reduced-fat string cheese, or some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese - usually 100 or fewer calories.)

My basic eating plan (for satiation) did include some snacks, but they weren't regimented, every day, every time things - more organized around what my schedule was like on a particular day.

As others have said, there's no reason to think of snacks as objectively "bad" or "good". It's just a matter of whether snacks help make your calorie goal achievable and satisfying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kind of a false dilemma. I know lots of people argue about it, in grand sciency debates, but number of meals, and even the distinction between meal and snack, is immaterial for us ordinary peeps. It's difficult enough to create an eating structure that fits job and school schedule and social and family life and personal preferences and physical needs all at once, so I think it's better to concentrate our effort on that.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat every couple of hours or less. Others like 3 squares and a dessert. Whatever best suits you is what you should do.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I snack, because if I get too hungry for too long I'll eat too much. Is it better to eat a 100 kCal snack between lunch and dinner, or to have a 500 kCal binge because you're starving? If the snack prevents the binge, then it's a good thing.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry... then snack. your body doesn't know the difference between a meal or snack it just burns the calories you feed it, or if you eat too many changes them into fat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is best to do what works for you. I eat lunch at noon and dinner around 8 or 9 - I need an afternoon snack!
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't typically snack during the day because it leaves me hungrier than if I just don't eat anything. If I feel a bit hungry I will drink some water, tea or coffee. If I am still hungry I will snack but usually some water fixes it. I plan for an evening snack before bed (usually a treat of some kind) as long as I have calories left for the day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is it best to snack or try to go as long as possible between meals?

What is "best" isn't going to be universal...we are all individuals and what works well for one may not work so great for someone else. It's all relative to the individual.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do better with eating through out the day rather than just having 3 big meals. But that's me. You're preferences are probably different. If you want a snack, eat it, if not then don't.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Personally I do better by not snacking, but others benefit from it. If I start, I don't stop.. which can be an issue.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I stopped calling them snacks. I think of it as 5 small meals rather than snacks between meals. So when I'm being good I eat breakfast, something mid morning, lunch, something mid afternoon and then dinner. After dinner drinks tend to be my downfall though.

I think the "secret" is tinker with the timing & portions until you get something that works for you.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I snack, most days not. If I do, it will be on a Tuesday because I won't get a chance to eat dinner until about 8pm because of my work schedule. Other than the Tuesday snack, I don't have the time to take a snack break at work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    The majority of my daily calories are snacks. :) I'm about to have another snack right now!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I love to snack, I eat smaller meals so I can snack. However it fits your calorie goals, eat how you want.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I looooove to save most of my calories for the end of the day. A nice cocktail and a bit of popcorn at the end of the day is a snack I really look forward to :)

Other than that, no snacking during the daytime hours.