Audible at the Gym

Options
christy2820
christy2820 Posts: 24 Member
Hey all you beautiful people! I'm just wondering, who else listens to audible when they work out? If you do, what genre do you listen to? Or what's your favorite book to listen to?

I just started Game of Thrones and am struggling to pay attention to it while I work out! I typically don't listen to anything and just get lost in my thoughts, unless it's Pilates!

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hear from people! Add me if you want! :) Namaste!!

Replies

• STPBound
    STPBound Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Joe Rogan- Easy Podcast to listen to
  • christy2820
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the input!! Keep up the good work!! :)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would find GoT too easy to tune out. I found it too easy to tune out when I was actually reading the books, which is why I never quite got through the third one.

Suspenseful or really entertaining audiobooks work much better for me at the gym: Gone Girl, Girl on a Train, Stephen King in general, the Sookie Stackhouse novels (no judgment, the narrator is _excellent_), Ready Player One, The Martian, Doomsday Book, 14, Into the Wild, The Magician King, Room, Notes on a Scandal, We Need to Talk about Kevin, etc etc etc. There are lots of great fiction audiobooks.

I also like books written and voices by entertainers, like Bossypants, The Areas of My Expertise, Yes, Please, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Is Eveyone Hanging Out Without Me, etc. (Tina Fey, John Hodgman, Amy Poehler, Rob Lowe, and Mindy Kaling respectively).

For podcasts, I just finished working my way through Serial and Freakonomics and have moved on to This American Life. These are great for me while I'm walking outside or driving or doing chores around the house, but I am easily distracted from them at the gym, I think because there's so much chaos - a dozen TVs and people buzzing around make it hard for me to focus.

SO much about whether or not I pay attention is dependent on the narrator - unfortunately, it's hard to tell in advance on an audiobook if it's really going to grab me.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've limited my audiobook listening to when I'm driving. When I try to listen while working out, I don't do either very well.
    Hmmm. I hope that's not the case about my driving...
  • staceynowen
    staceynowen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've just started "Girl on the Train" and it is very addicting!!! I usually work out for at least an hour when I listen to it!
  • christy2820
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    I would find GoT too easy to tune out. I found it too easy to tune out when I was actually reading the books, which is why I never quite got through the third one.

Suspenseful or really entertaining audiobooks work much better for me at the gym: Gone Girl, Girl on a Train, Stephen King in general, the Sookie Stackhouse novels (no judgment, the narrator is _excellent_), Ready Player One, The Martian, Doomsday Book, 14, Into the Wild, The Magician King, Room, Notes on a Scandal, We Need to Talk about Kevin, etc etc etc. There are lots of great fiction audiobooks.

I also like books written and voices by entertainers, like Bossypants, The Areas of My Expertise, Yes, Please, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Is Eveyone Hanging Out Without Me, etc. (Tina Fey, John Hodgman, Amy Poehler, Rob Lowe, and Mindy Kaling respectively).

For podcasts, I just finished working my way through Serial and Freakonomics and have moved on to This American Life. These are great for me while I'm walking outside or driving or doing chores around the house, but I am easily distracted from them at the gym, I think because there's so much chaos - a dozen TVs and people buzzing around make it hard for me to focus.

SO much about whether or not I pay attention is dependent on the narrator - unfortunately, it's hard to tell in advance on an audiobook if it's really going to grab me.

Into the Wild is one of my favorite movies, definitely adding it to the list! Thanks!
  • jimgregg724
    jimgregg724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    11.22.63. Novel by Stephen King. Almost 32 hours of pure entertainment. Once hooked, I couldn't stop listening.
  • Justn83
    Justn83 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Options
    Can you hear me now?