Can I set my daily calorie goal NOT to increase with calories burned exercising?

Options
I noticed that when I enter an exercise event, the calorie goal goes up by the same amount. NO! I want to burn calories to lose more weight, not so I can eat more. Is there a way to set up my account so my calorie goal stays the same no matter how much exercise? And can I set my calorie goal to be different from the one that was set for me? (At least I think it was set for me.) Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Replies

• Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've never figured that out but I do just do a quick add calories for what Runkeeper records to keep me at a deficit
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    When you log the exercise you can change the calorie burn to zero so it won't effect your daily total.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    In your goal tab you can manually set the daily calories, as for the exercise calories you can enter 1 (it won't let you enter 0, at least not for me).
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My fitness pal has built in the calorie deficit into your calories already and doesn't take into account exercise. So if you set it to lose 2 lbs. a week, the most recommended by health professionals, then you need to eat back some exercise calories. Otherwise you are under eating and not fueling your body which can lead to a host of issues and poor workout performance. Now if you calculate your TDEE on another site, which does factor in exercise each week, then you can subtract the rate of lose you want, so minus 500 calories for 1 lb. a week, minus 1000 for 2 lbs. Then you can manually add this number into myfitness pal and not input your exercise into the site or record it as 1.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you do that then do not use MFP to decide your calorie goal - use a TDEE calculator instead or you are setting yourself up for long term failure.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    When you add your exercise, just manually change the calories burned to zero
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If today I drive only to the grocery store and back, I won't need to add more gas. But if I drive halfway across the state, then I'll need to get some gas.

By that same token, I need to eat more calories when I expend a lot of energy exercising. Sometimes I will go on a 30 to 40 mile intense bike ride. If I didn't add in at least a few hundred extra calories, I would probably collapse somewhere. YMMV.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I enter an exercise event, the calorie goal goes up by the same amount. NO! I want to burn calories to lose more weight, not so I can eat more. Is there a way to set up my account so my calorie goal stays the same no matter how much exercise? And can I set my calorie goal to be different from the one that was set for me? (At least I think it was set for me.) Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Turning off exercise calories is a Premium feature so if you don't want to upgrade either don't log it, edit the calories to 1, or just leave that much left at the end of the day.

And yes, you can definitely customize your calorie/nutrition goals: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-