Pasta Lover needs help

Options
Why is pasta so yummaay?

i love it but it has SO many calories in a serving, which isnt all that much...

i havent really had any since starting MFP a month ago... but i'm missing it TERRIBLY!

Are there any out there thats low in cals? like egg noodles VS reg pasta VS Ramen? Any good substitute for them?

Replies

• rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things that could possibly work for you.

1. spaghetti squash - squash that has the look of spaghetti noodles and really takes on the flavor of the sauce.

2. cauliflower Alfredo - Alfredo sauce made out of cauliflower. you can use this with real pasta and the only amount of real calories then comes from the noodles, not the sauce.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can still have it. Just smaller portions. It is easier if you add a lot of veggies to it along with your sauce and healthy lean meat or fish. I use to eat 4 oz at least. Now I only have 1 oz and add tones of veggies and always grilled boneless chicken breast or fish. Don't miss it anymore. Really. Healthy eating is all about smaller portions of the things that put the weight on and substitutions for quanity.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I substitute with spagetti squash... I was a pasta addict - now I stay away from it cause I crave it even when I eat rice pasta... When something makes me crave it, that's my cue to take it out of my nutrition plan...
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I really like pasta too. I found I love whole wheat spaghetti (go figure). But, the main thing, is a small portion really satisfies and fills me up so I'm only eating 1/2 (or less) than I used to.
  • sflohr
    sflohr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shirataki Tofu Noodles or Pasta Slim. Rinse well and dry with paper towel. These are only 20 calories per serving!
  • Shemac04
    Shemac04 Posts: 16
    Options
    Egg Noodles are good for you, low made with egg whites and then there is wheat pasta which is better than regular pasta...Or do a Weight Watcher pasta meal, you can keep track of that good.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    Well, I'm a pasta lover as well. I've switched to whole wheat pasta's mostly. It's still higher in calories but way better for you!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    never heard of the spagetti squash.... wonder if they sell that out here (i'm in Jamaica)

yea, sticking to having less is probably the best bet here
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Couscous - that's what I swapped my pasta for! :smile:
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    if you go on hungry girl she has alot of alternatives....i think if you go on her website you can see her shows that come on the cooking/food channels.....she just did a whole show on pasta...she does mention spaghetti squash and she also mentions a soy spaghetti that you can get in the Asian aisle...hope that helps!
  • Shemac04
    Shemac04 Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks, that is great to no.
  • dmhaag
    dmhaag Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    also try shirataki noodles -- 40 or less calories depending on the brand and no effective carbs -- made from some japanese root -- big grocery stores here have them, or you can buy them online
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    also try shirataki noodles -- 40 or less calories depending on the brand and no effective carbs -- made from some japanese root -- big grocery stores here have them, or you can buy them online

Are these what are known as Miracle Noodles?
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

I just tried Miracle Noodles for the first time. They're a great vehicle to get some kind of sauce in your mouth, but alone, taste like nothing. For very good reason - no cals, no fat, no carbs.

Another great option is a brand called Dreamfields. They have very low digestible carbs. Still not exactly LOW CAL, but definitely better for you. And taste just like the regular white noodles.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I still eat it...in slightly smaller quantities and exercise it off. I think it's a mistake to give everything up ...I want this to be a change for life and so it has to be sustainable.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! i'm gonna keep an eye out for these...
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    Also, brown rice pasta and corn pasta.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    As a few people mentioned above, shirataki noodles are a good substitute, I'm a fan of those! But there are days when I really want the real thing and I go for Fiber Gourmet Light Pastas. Low calorie and high fiber! Check it out: http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I cut squash and zuchinni into long thin strips and treat it like pasta. We also use quinoa noodles, 220 c per serving.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hi,

not sure where you live but you can get

1) tofu shirataki noodles-from shoprite in the tofu section-a 8 0z bag is 20 calories per serv 2 serv per bag 0.5 fat 3 carbs

or

2) dreamfields pasta..taste just like regular pasta 1/2 cup is 190 calories 1gr fat 5 carbs

or

3) you can have regular pasta just in moderation and if you still want more EARN IT by working out to get addl calories for the day :)