Swimming yay or nay

Options
I have bad knees so running and high impact so and for them. How good is swimming for fat burning? Heard hat it doesn't burn much fat/calories can someone spread some light thanks.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Here's a link. http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-does-swimming-burn

Moving burns calories. I say swim away little fish!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Swimming is listed as an exercise in the database, but I imagine you have to actually move, not like me (still learning to swim) where you spend most of the time stopped to catch your breath :D
  • harveyzim
    harveyzim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've smear trusted it
  • harveyzim
    harveyzim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Always
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Swimming is actually an amazing low impact exercise. Its really good for you and you burn a good amount of calories but you have to be moving.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    Swimming burns plenty of calories. However, the far more important issue is controlling how much you eat as weight loss has to do not mainly with exercise, but with eating less calories than your body burns.
  • wkay99
    wkay99 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise and very easy on joints. So is water aerobics. Key is to keep moving - exercise or lap swim. Switch up your strokes to get maximum benefit and work all muscle groups.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great exercise that can burn a lot of calories but it depends on how you swim. It's a great low-impact workout that if you do it the right way will beat the crap out of you. There are times that after my workout I'm sweating so much i see the sweat coming out of my pores.

If you're a good swimmer and you could swim a good distance my recommendation is Sprint's 50 yards as fast as you can do a bunch of those maybe five seconds in between 10 seconds in between and then just go full bore as many as you can.

There's also a great app called 0 - 1650 that has a lot of great swim workouts
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming and loving it! I used to think swimming meant floating in a pool
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming is like any other activity, you get back what you put into it and like any other exercise may help you expend more calories which along with eating at a caloric deficit will result in fat loss.

The bonus is that, assuming an appropriate level of intensity, you will also gain in cardiovascular fitness.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I swim 5-6 days a week and am down 95 lbs by swimming and counting calories. I get cranky on days that the pool is closed.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Oh so good to hear
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Swimmings great, and I think its similar to many other exercises - the harder you work, the more you burn. Its also done wonders for my shoulder and arm definition.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great exercise that can burn a lot of calories but it depends on how you swim. It's a great low-impact workout that if you do it the right way will beat the crap out of you. There are times that after my workout I'm sweating so much i see the sweat coming out of my pores.

If you're a good swimmer and you could swim a good distance my recommendation is Sprint's 50 yards as fast as you can do a bunch of those maybe five seconds in between 10 seconds in between and then just go full bore as many as you can.

Is that app for android? Tried searching it, but can't find it.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    jmidd97 wrote: »

Is that app for android? Tried searching it, but can't find it.

I may have made a mistake I don't know if it's an app but if you do a Google search 0-1650 swim you'll get the home page for it
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Look at competitive swimmers. A guy I know who swims at 75 and could out compete most guys at 45. Great exercise.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise. Adding something low impact into your workout mix is a great idea.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    yay!