Has anyone seen my self control??

Options
Really struggling to stay on track. This is the second time I am losing weight. I initially started last year and did really well, lost 10kg then I moved to Vancouver in Feb of this year and it has been an uphill battle ever since.

Its like I keep going round and round in circles. I always start off the day great with a good breakfast and my morning snacks are good. Then it just all goes down hill after lunch. A cookie here and there or chocolate or starbucks. Some weeks I am fine and I feel great but then on cue just when I start to feel like I am getting back on track I have a bad few days and I feel like I am back to square 1.

My self discipline has completely disappeared. I went into a Starbucks yesterday and I bought a chocolate + drink. As I was lining up I was thinking to myself "I don't need both, just one" but I ignored it and got both plus after that at work they had cookies and I had 5!! Even after the starbucks and chocolate. On the weekend I was buying 3 sml bags of chocolates from Wholefoods and again when I was lining up to pay I kept thinking "I really don't need this much, I should put some back" but I didn't. How do I get my self control back??

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Sometime I wonder WTF am I acutally a foodaholic?
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I feel ya. I am they same way. I lost about 30 pounds last year and gained it all back over the winter when I lost my drive to workout and stay on track. I have been trying to get back at it for months and I do good for a few hours of the day then do something that messes up the whole day. Good luck to you and me!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I sent a friend request, so we can motivate each other!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling a lot too. I went the first 50 days on here like nothing.. lost 7 pounds.. now, I'm lucky to log 3 days in a row. It's rough, we just need to remember what we are striving for and make it a priority to remember it!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the self control.... other than try not to put yourself in certain situations - don't go to Starbucks (I know, practically impossible). But one thing I have been told, and it is working..... that if you take certain foods out of your diet, you stop craving them. Mine are chocolate/cookies/cakes/doughnuts and SALT. I have avoided both now for 2 months, and I can walk by a big plate of cookies and keep going. I got a chocolate doughnut for a friend the other day, and I had no desire to get one myself. Don't know why it works, but it has been. I just don't have the cravings anymore. Good luck to you!!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Hey

Sorry, I borrowed it and forgot to return it before the long weekend. I was using it to battle the urge for chips, cookies and a stack of pancakes and syrup.

I took a copy of it and am returning the original to you now. Just remember it has been used, but I left it in good shape. I'm sure it will get you through the next temptation.

I feel your Starbucks pain. I've gone from the venti frapa-whatever to a grande skim latte, with a single package of raw sugar. Gives me my kick, but is under 130 calories, and provides me with a bunch of calcium, something I'm always struggling to get enough of.

Forget yesterday - today is what matters. Put that self control to good use. I might need to borrow it again....
  • ShayA95
    ShayA95 Posts: 5
    Options
    You need some kind of Inspiration :happy:

Like keep dieting the whole week, or like not dieting but eating healthy and excercising and not exceeding the maximum intake of calories you should be having, and keep thinking the whole time that "its worth it!" you know why?
    Because the last day of the week, you'll be able to have a FREE MEAL!! Like anything you want!

2 DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER, LARGE FRIES
    or HUGE SUBWAY SANDWICH

and some kind of dessert. You'll feel like you actually deserved it!! And that should keep you satisfied for the next week and then again you can eat whatever you want on the last day of that week :D
  • exfatgurl
    exfatgurl Posts: 12
    Options
    when you find yours you might find mine right around! lol let me know how it goes for you ;)
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go a little crazy and make bad choices at the store and in fast food places. One thing that has helped me is to NEVER go to starbuck or wendy's or the grocery store when I am hungry. Also, I always allow myself goodies, but I plan them out - so I will plan to have that bowl of ice cream this evening, which makes it easier to avoid the sweets during the day. If I deprive myself totally, then I get to the breaking point and go overboard. Good luck!

BTW - You might want to look under the couch cushions where the remote slips, your self control my be with the tv control...
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Its a set back. Ok lit happened, next day try again. You didn't get how you are overnight and its not going to be overnight change either. You know what is good about your story? The thought that you actually thought about what you were doing and in your head you were telling yourself you shouldn't do it. However, denying yourself will make it harder to resist. So try instead of denying just limiting. The chocolate thing and the starbucks drinks...mmmmmmmm and especially on a long day when you're tired. Its okay indulge, no guilt, next day through in an extra work out, like take the stairs or something instead of the elevator. Or let yourself have one of the chocolate things but not all three. You can do anything you put your mind to. Obviously, you want to as well as you are here. So don't give up, keep working at it, you'll get it.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Your self control is probably in the same place I left mine!! LOL!! I've been doing so good until this weekend, I was almost like it was a free-for-all at the family gatherings! I refuse to get on the scale until Friday, or maybe even Monday, because I don't want to know how bad my gain was! I'm just going to get back on that wagon and keep doing what I did before my binge this weekend and not look back! :) We all have our setbacks, we're only human!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Your self control must be hanging out with my self control! LOL! I haden't seen mine for a little over 5 weeks, it just resurfaced yesterday. I know how you feel. I was going to the local corner store 3-4 times a week and I would buy 2 large ice cream cones! that's right TWO LARGE ones THREE TO FOUR TIMES A WEEK!!! lol. I would tell myself that it was the last time that there was always tomorrow. Well tomorrow is finally here and I am starting over and I hope to stay on track this time! Good luck in finding you self control....mine came back eventually :)
  • Squeeky18
    Squeeky18 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about starting out right every day. I have the same issue...good breakfast, healthy lunch...then something catches my eye (today it was Tim Hortons AND a milkshake) and then I've blown ALL my calories for the day and feel like there's no point. But I keep telling myself it's a learning proces and I find I do it less and less....Good luck!
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    I have a twelve year old daughter and she was the exact same way. If there was candy or sweets of any kind out where she could get it, she would get it. So how did I fix it?

I didn't. Instead, I said that she'll eat what she'll eat. I quit fighting her. Now she walks one mile every morning and two miles every night. Guess what happened?

She quit craving those sweets and started craving vegetables and fruits! Gave her an entire piece of birthday cake yesterday, and she could only eat half of it and had to chase that down with two glasses of water when done!

Hey, if you have no willpower and self control, that's fine. Really, it IS okay. As long as your meals are nice and healthy, tons of color, protein, veggies, fruit, etc, then you're okay. But there is one thing you absolutely HAVE to do if you will not control your urge for sweets and Starbucks.

You HAVE to exercise the crap back out of your system! Exercise and water! If you're gonna eat 1000 extra calories of crapola, you need to do 1200 extra calories of cardio AND do some strength training as well. Is the trade off worth it that much? Or are you thinking you may be more able to reject the temptations?
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I think maybe yours and mine are hanging out together because you just describes how I'm doing. I WANT to do it right so bad, but I just DON'T...so frustrating and especially since it's all in my control, but somehow not at the same time...ugh.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Stephie, I think we all look for our self-control everyday, I know I do. Don't feel alone cause I'm right there with ya! Self reflection on why I want to lose weight plus the negative effects of damaging the hard work I've done so far keeps me on track. I say busy the mind and body and the food attractions are a little less. It's largely mind control over body functions and reactions. Keep working at it. The main thing is yesterday is done and gone. Forget about it and move ahead to today. Can't change what's already transpired so forge ahead with the right mind set and develop good habits. Easier said than done but it sounds good. I know cause I struggle too.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Your post is so familiar to me that it is scary! I don't know that the answer is simply "self-control." Why do we do things to ourselves that we know we shouldn't, and yet somehow can't stop from doing? To me that sounds an awful lot like compulsion and not at all dissimilar from an addiction. In order to truly kick an addiction you need to determine what the root causes are for the self-destructive behavior, and that ain't easy. The best advice I can give you is that tomorrow is another day, and another opportunity to change for the better. Good luck to you, and to all of us who struggle with these demons.
  • Ali5581
    Ali5581 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello fellow Vancouverite :D The weather is so beautiful out, with the sunshine I have been finding it easier to motivate my *kitten* out onto my bike in the mornings, the warmer weather is perfect for yummy salads and fresh fruits and vegetables.........make a big fruit salad and keep it in your fridge and serve with a little yogurt or make a smoothies......bake some cookies but make them tiny and keep them in the freezer......then you can have one or two and not feel guilty.....

I always seems to struggle with keeping my motivation up, but having goals helps. This months goal is to bike to work a minimum of twice a week.....I find that starting the day with some exercise sets me up for the rest of the day :D

I am trying really hard to not become obessed about food. I don't want to always be thinking about what I'm going to eat, what I want to eat, what I should be eating, what I can't eat etc........when I exercise regularly my body naturally craves healthy nutritional food, to stay motivated......but you know what if I want the chocolate then I'm going to eat it but maybe a smaller portion than what I would normally eat :D
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What is this 'self control' you speak of???
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your breakfast is like but for myself if I don't start off with a high protein breakfast the same thing happens to me. I can't do oatmeal, cereal or even a smoothie (and I LOVE smoothies!) for breakfast unless I add some sort of protein along side. It has to be eggs or meat of some sort because the protein powders don't seem to cut it for me. If I start out with a good protein then the rest of my day is much easier to manage. Otherwise I feel hungry a lot and get munchy!