Who comes from a rice-eating country?

Options
I'm a Filipina and Filipinos just CANNOT live without rice :laugh:

I've started cutting out white rice (the normal kind we usually eat) from my diet and switching to healthier options like whole wheat breads, salad greens, roasted carrots, cauliflower, chick peas, and so on.

I admit it's hard to be creative in substituting white rice, but it's well worth it.

Can anyone else suggest white rice substitutes? I want to add something new to my repertoire. :smile:

Replies

• juxtapotato
    Options
    I'm a Filipina and Filipinos just CANNOT live without rice :laugh:

I've started cutting out white rice (the normal kind we usually eat) from my diet and switching to healthier options like whole wheat breads, salad greens, roasted carrots, cauliflower, chick peas, and so on.

I admit it's hard to be creative in substituting white rice, but it's well worth it.

Can anyone else suggest white rice substitutes? I want to add something new to my repertoire. :smile:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy, so I have the same problem here with Pasta...and I eat a lot of rice as well. I try to substitute with whole grain rice and whole grain pasta, but I still like white sometimes. One thing I have found that helps is to cook TONS of vegetables and add a huge plate to a SMALL amount of rice or pasta. Then you can still have your rice, but your overall plate of food is healthy and filling.

I use zucchini, carrots, onion, eggplant, tomatoes, celery, asparagus, artichokes, peppers, garlic, etc.

I tend to mix a bunch of them together cooked in a small amount of olive oil, drop of red wine, and sometimes soy sauce. I use about 50 grams (uncooked) rice / pasta.
  • notoprod
    notoprod Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am Indonesian, and I can't live without rice too!:happy: And until now, I haven't found the substitute for it. So, I just try to eat in a smaller portion than I used to do, and no more second helping!!:laugh:
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    I am! I am from, and in South Carolina where we eat rice on a daily basis!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Try substituting white rice for brown, you will get a bigger nutritional bang for your buck and still get your rice fix. You could also try quinoa as a substitute. Your body needs whole grains, so don't feel that you need to completely cut rice out of your diet!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree with brown rice.
    I use a lot of couscous as a rice substitute.
  • JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    My mom and dad are from Puerto Rico and we LOOOOVE our rice & beans. I started MFP up again a few days ago so cutting out rice is a goal for me. But if I do have white rice, it will be in moderation.
  • loser4real
    Options
    Hello! I am half Filipino and grew up in Hawaii where we ate rice every day, you know the good kind—sticky white rice. :happy: It was a major change for me when I first moved to the states, but I gradually decreased the amount consumed. I hardly eat it anymore, maybe once a month if I’m cooking comfort food from back home or eating sushi.

I surprisingly don’t miss rice as much as I did when I first moved, but my diet has completely changed so that has a lot to do with it. Sometimes I’ll fix brown rice instead, but every now and then a craving will set in for a bowl of sticky white goodness…topped with chicken adobo or pork guisantes, etc. (mmmmm!)
  • juxtapotato
    Options
    …topped with chicken adobo or pork guisantes, etc. (mmmmm!)

Adobo just isn't the same without white rice, noh? I'm glad that they're selling whole-wheat pandesal in the supermarket, though! :happy:
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm another Hawaii resident. Maybe local people in Hawaii mix cooked white rice in the most things (not just a starch on the side) - soups, chili, etc. I talked to one middle-eastern guy who thought Hawaii white rice was plain and awful. He said he puts oil and stuff on his rice. I think the easiest healthy substitute for white rice is brown rice. It's a little different, but at least you still get that rice texture.:happy:
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    barley is a good substitute as well
  • anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....

I am orginally from Nepal But currenly I am in TX....

I am also struggling with rice as I love eating rice and grew up eating rice 2-3 times a day or even 4 times a day . LOL I can't even sleep without eating rice,,.

I am having a hard time as I want to decrease my rice intake as it has so much calories.......but so far I am good as I only consumed 120-200 gram of rice and is only for lunch...
  • glorybee
    Options
    I am half Korean so rice is huge for me. What I have done is switch to sweet brown rice. It is a little sticky, and short grained. I cook it in a rice cooker, then I put a small drizzle of sesame seed oil and sprinkle salt and mix it up. Yummy..

glorybee
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean, i am from Ireland and every dinner has to have potatoes!

we :heart: them

although now i have loads of veggies and a small portion of potatoes!

im not a fan of pasta or rice im afraid :) lol

:flowerforyou:
  • Leeci
    Leeci Posts: 6
    Options
    Try Barley.....I made a big pot of beef rice soup.....and instead of the rice I used barley......everyone thought the barley was little pasta noodles!! It was delicious!