Reviews on Optifast Plan

Options
wandakc
wandakc Posts: 227 Member
Good Morning,

My name is Wanda and I am just starting Optifast. I saw a Bariatric MD this past week and have just started. Her plan included combining food w the Optifast which seems to be working well.

My question is ~ who has tried Optifast? Does anyone have any "stories" to share? I'm very optimistic that this will be a positive experience. I believe I have finally realized there will be grave problems for me if I do not get healthier Thanks in Advance Wanda :)

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Optifast, but I did google search. I see that it's a VLCD. I know you're working with a doctor, which is good, but....

Your profile says that you have 67 lbs to lose. I started my weight loss journey with 75 lbs to lose and was able to lose weight (more than 30 lbs so far) by just logging food and making sure I ate less than I burned (first by counting "points" on Weight Watchers, and now counting calories here). So I guess I'm wondering why you feel you have to do something so drastic? I'm not saying 67 lbs is nothing, but I don't know that you need a VLCD either.

Between the Optifast products and food, about how many calories do you think you're consuming each day?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds terrible and unnecessary. A VLCD (which you are doing) will make you hungry, tired and irritable, and you will crave real food. When, not if, you give up, you will eat more than ever, and regain the weight you've lost, and more.

You can lose weight eating food you likein more moderate amounts , and you are more likely to be able to stick with that, than to a shake diet. It will probably be cheaper, too, and easier to transition into maintenance after you've hit goal weight.

Losing weight isn't necessarily easy, but it's not very complicated either, and you can and should make it as easy as possible. Torturing yourself by undereating and drinking nasty shakes, is making it as difficult as possible.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses. I needed this to "jump start" my healthy journey. I am 64 yrs. old and yo yo dieter all my life, marring later, having children older and menopause has put in a position where every pound is a struggle to lose. My goal is to not stay on this plan or too long, gain healthy eating and meal prep. Important as well is to move more. I'm trying to stick to her recommended 1200 cal/day. Wish me Luck ! ;)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi Wanda! I wanted to share information as I'm someone who has been on medically supervised Optifast for a little over a month and some of the replies are uninformed. I get that a VLCD is not for everyone however it is right for some under medical supervision.

I'm not a couch potato stuffing my face and whining about my weight. I run 5ks and do other exercise like Zumba 5-6 days a week. No matter what I try, I just haven't been able to get 100# off and I'm over 50 so it's now or never for me. I chose Optifast through a local university hospital weight management program because it's medically supervised, I needed something with faster results as I tend to get discouraged and I have the strong support I need with this program. It's not for everyone but it is right for me.

Preparing for the diet and the first week is the toughest as your body adjusts. You must drink a lot of water and commit to the required blood tests so your doctor can be sure you are adequately monitored. There may be some who do this through weight loss clinics but I felt safest in a university hospital environment. The medical/nutritionist team is top notch and supportive. If you aren't committed, it's not worth the money or time. I made it fun by adding permitted enhancements to my shakes such as Loran or Capella extracts with lots of crushed ice. It makes everything taste like an awesome milkshake. I don't feel deprived, hungry, hangry, dizzy, weak, or crazy. Maybe that last one might be stretching it :p

In my first month, I lost over 22 lbs. My goal is to lose 112 lbs or 8 stone during the next year on the program. I wish you well with whatever you decide as an option to a healthier you.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80 pounds on optifast about 9 years ago, and kept it off for over 2 years. It was easy to lose, the support was great, and not eating/ cooking/ shopping left a lot of time for exercise. Because I'm very tall and was very active at the time, I was put on a plan with 1200-1500 calories a day and still lost very quickly.

I went through a stressful time, was on steroids for medical reasons, and ended up gaining back the weight in about 3 months. (After the two-year maintenance.) The program does education on managing day-to-day diet in maintenance, but nothing much to address emotional eating, binges, and other coping skills. At least, my group leaders shied away from those topics, and anyone raising a concern of an episode of overeating was shushed with a "let's talk about that afterwards."

I considered re-starting optifast, but the shakes taste awful to me now, far too sweet and 'chemically' flavored. Plus, it's very expensive, and not easily available where I'm currently living.

Good luck to you.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @wandakc Optifast as part of a 1200 calorie plan under medical supervision has some advantages. In particular, narrowing your food choices can be a big relief. Since you are eating some food as part of your plan, you will undoubtedly be talking to your doctor about what foods to eat to keep the food choices limited for now, which is part of the reason Optifast works. Fewer choices means fewer temptations, which helps some people get started. I highly recommend removing all foods from your house except what you are going to be eating so that there are no temptations in your house, if you are committed to the Optifast plan, which it sounds as if you are.

Not preparing more than one meal a day frees up time, effort, and the necessity to think about food. Done under medical supervision, this is a safe plan, especially the way you are doing it as part of a 1200 calorie plan. Most people don't feel physically hungry, but some do.

The disadvantages are the cost of the program and products, the fear you may feel when you are ready to transition to food for all of your meals, cravings, and the sheer boredom of it all.

It is worthwhile for some people to start their weight loss program with a plan like this as long as there is good follow through and a very good transition plan. Foods should be added back gradually, in my opinion, rather than just stopping the Optifast all at once with a rapid transition to eating "normal" foods. One big help is to talk with your doctor about whether you can have protein shakes like Premier Protein or EAS available for a snack or small meal while you are going through the transition process.

Having done Optifast, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, etc. I can tell you that although I am losing weight now more slowly than I did during my previous weight loss efforts, I feel most comfortable eating the foods I like on a plan that I can sustain. If you have a very good plan for "after Optifast", however, I believe it can work for you.

I did not have the same experience @Cheesy567 had with the group leader shying away from the emotional issues surrounding eating, and I thought the support was good except for the transition off Optifast. The program may be different now, as it has been several years since I was on Optifast...

Good luck with your weight loss journey.