Weight loss plateau?

Options
Hello everyone!
I started my weight loss journey in March this year. I've worked extremely hard and have lost about 85 lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. For the past couple months I have had trouble with gaining weight and having to lose it again. It seems unreal that I can be working so hard and still be gaining weight. It also seems abnormal that I will gain 5-7 lbs in a week for no obvious reason at all.
Is this normal?
I know I've heard people say that if you stop losing weight then you need to eat less or workout more. I already workout everyday and eat very little. What else is there for me to do?

By the way, I also weigh at the same time of day each time, with the same amount of clothing and everything, so that's not an issue.

Replies

• ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging? Is it possible that you haven't been as accurate lately since you've lost the weight?

Those 5-7lb fluctuations are mostly water weight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    85 lbs in about 4 months sounds like alot of loss?

also, if you make your diary public and give info on your calorie goal you can get more help
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I started my weight loss journey in March this year. I've worked extremely hard and have lost about 85 lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. For the past couple months I have had trouble with gaining weight and having to lose it again. It seems unreal that I can be working so hard and still be gaining weight. It also seems abnormal that I will gain 5-7 lbs in a week for no obvious reason at all.
    Is this normal?
    I know I've heard people say that if you stop losing weight then you need to eat less or workout more. I already workout everyday and eat very little. What else is there for me to do?

By the way, I also weigh at the same time of day each time, with the same amount of clothing and everything, so that's not an issue.

1. How long has it been since you've updated your calorie goals in MFP?
    2. Are you eating back all your exercise calories, and if so, how you are estimating the burn?
    3. Are you weighing all solids and semi-solids with a food scale?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    85 lbs in about 4 months sounds like alot of loss?

also, if you make your diary public and give info on your calorie goal you can get more help

I was just thinking that....that is 5-6lbs a week...seems a bit "off" even for someone with a lot to lose unless there was medical intervention.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Have you used the 'check in' feature and logged your lower weight so that MFP is allotting the proper number of calories for deficit? At 85 pounds lighter, your daily calorie allotment will have decreased.

Also, depending upon what you've been eating recently, weight can fluctuate quite a bit even in one day. Sodium and carbohydrates can make one retain water and that alone can add up to 2-3 pounds for myself.

• theabbygrace
    theabbygrace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you used the 'check in' feature and logged your lower weight so that MFP is allotting the proper number of calories for deficit? At 85 pounds lighter, your daily calorie allotment will have decreased.

Also, depending upon what you've been eating recently, weight can fluctuate quite a bit even in one day. Sodium and carbohydrates can make one retain water and that alone can add up to 2-3 pounds for myself.

No, I don't think I've done that. Where do you find the check in feature?
  • theabbygrace
    Options
    ejb499 wrote: »
    How accurate is your logging? Is it possible that you haven't been as accurate lately since you've lost the weight?

I suppose my logging may not be as accurate as it could be. Though I've been trying to eat mostly things that are pre packaged so that I don't have to worry too much about weighing and measuring. Maybe that's my problem? Instead of trying to make fresh meals for myself lately I've turned to a lot of frozen meals. Would the quality of what I'm eating make a difference even if it's still the same amount of calories?
  • theabbygrace
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I was just thinking that....that is 5-6lbs a week...seems a bit "off" even for someone with a lot to lose unless there was medical intervention.

My medical intervention came March 1st when I had brain surgery and was told I had a chronic brain condition that didn't have a chance of improving unless I lost weight. I've been seriously working my butt off ever since. I know it does sound like a lot, but I started at 324 lbs. I'm pretty sure the heavier you are the faster you lose weight because the weight came off really fast in the beginning. 20 lbs lost after the first two weeks, 40 lbs by week six. And I'm still working on it.
    Because I have lost so much weight already, people don't really take me seriously when I say I have times when I struggle with my weight going back up. It gets kinda frustrating. My dr even has told me I'm doing well, don't worry about it. But I can't not worry when I still have so much left to lose.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You went from a 3000 calorie per day deficit for months to a 3000 calorie surplus per day in one week? Without knowing how? Seems unlikely.

New workout routine? Giant salt overload? Constipation?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ejb499 wrote: »

I suppose my logging may not be as accurate as it could be. Though I've been trying to eat mostly things that are pre packaged so that I don't have to worry too much about weighing and measuring. Maybe that's my problem? Instead of trying to make fresh meals for myself lately I've turned to a lot of frozen meals. Would the quality of what I'm eating make a difference even if it's still the same amount of calories?

Congrats on your weight loss.

Yes, those prepackaged foods almost always weigh more indicated on packages, hence are more calories than originally thought. That can add up.