Am I doing things wrong?

Weight loss.
I'm almost 23 stone, 21 years old, female and 5ft5 and barely do any exercise.
To maintain my weight I need to eat 2600 calories, I have cut my calories down to 1100 a day, and started walking more. But I've put a pound on in 3 weeks, so I was searching around on the Internet and come across various calculators that say I should be eating 1600/1700 calories a day. Have I been eating too little and is that why I haven't lost much weight?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Firstly you should be eating at least 1200 cals a day and eating too little doesn't make you put on weight or stop weight loss.
    Secondly have you been weighing and logging your food? As you will put weight on if you are eating more calories than you burn.
  • lishalea2016
    lishalea2016 Posts: 3 Member
    I haven't any food scales so can't weight my food so been guessing, which may be why my calorie intake isn't accurate.
    I have gone from doing little to no exercise to walking.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    If you maintain at 2600 cals then eating at 2100 would give you a 1lb per week loss and 1600, approximately 2lb per week. At 23 stone you are OK to aim for 2lb per week loss.

These figures are based upon your exercise/daily movement at maintenance (2600 cals) and so, if you do extra i would suggest eating back about half of those gained calories.

My advice is:
    • Target 1600 cals per day.
    • Weigh and record all your food.
    • Be consistent.
    • If you slip up and eat too much, don't beat yourself up about it but get back on plan ASAP.
    • Don't be in a hurry to lose the weight - it takes time and the people who do it slow and steady seem to have the most success.
    • Don't eliminate whole food groups or foods you love in favour of "healthy" foods. Eat a balanced diet which includes the stuff you like (within your calorific target)
    • If you enjoy exercising (such as walking) great - go for it there are solid health benefits, but what is required for weight loss is calorific deficit and this can be achieved without exercise.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I haven't any food scales so can't weight my food so been guessing, which may be why my calorie intake isn't accurate.
    I have gone from doing little to no exercise to walking.

This is the first thing to fix.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    If you were truly eating as little as 1100 (btw 1200 is minimum for women,to get proper amounts of nutrition) you should be losing weight.
    Have you been measuring and weighing everything you eat with a scale? If not start doing that and definately look at the amount you are consuming 1100 is a tiny amount and as someone who is a lot smaller and older than you I can't survive on that little.
    I don't really think you have been eating that little but , when you start tracking don't make your deficit so aggressive , slow and steady wins the race.
    Good luck x
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I would recommend buying some food scales and weigh everything you eat, as it's amazing how much we can guess wrong. As you've gained weight you've probably been over estimating and eating too many calories.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Just saw you don't have a food scale
    Definately invest. It's the best tool to lose weight.
  • lishalea2016
    lishalea2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate your responses.
    First thing on my shopping list is scales!