Saxenda

Options
Hi. I recently got samples of saxenda. The side effects scare me a little. Can this medication be taken at night?

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This is a good question for your doctor.
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can also contact a pharmacist to ask.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, it can be taken at night; however, it would be more practical to take at the start of the day to delay gastric emptying (...& blunt appetite with nausea/vomiting). There is no hypoglycemia from GLP-1 recteptor agonists, they have a cut-off in reducing plasma blood glucose around 90mg/dL...they control post prandial blood glucose more optimally (after meals).

Again, for appetite suppression, they are more optimal to take early in the day...word of caution, don't abruptly discontinue; normally in Type 2 Diabetics (same drug Liraglutide/VICTOZA) they require titration 0.6mg SC QD for 1 week, then 1.2mg/day for 1 week, then 1.8mg/day thereafter. For appetite suppression, the dose is insanely higher at 3mg/day...mostly to induce anorexia/nausea/vomiting from delayed gastric emptying rate & satiation from Glucagon Like Peptide agonism. Tolerance to GI side effects is troublesome & can take months to gain tolerance...I can not overemphasize the need to stay consistent in dosing this med.

<---Professional "drug dealer" aka Pharmacist
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    *To clarify, same dosing titration...up 0.6mg increase per week...target 3mg/day for weight management with 16 weeks to evaluate efficacy...<4% wt loss after this time warrants discontinuation.
    Half-life is 13 hours...again going against conventional dosing regimens if dosed at night (no danger in doing so, but diminished efficacy later in the day)
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've taken mine at night (about 10pm when getting ready for bed) for the last two weeks and I've lost 5lbs and almost 2 inches off my waist. I'm at 1.2mg until Wednesday night when I go up to 1.8mg... So far, so good!
  • rrebecca33
    rrebecca33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been on Saxenda since September 2015 and I've lost over 80lbs! Personally I take it in the morning and found it works best for me on an empty stomach. I have a feeling it's a personal body issue, as obviously everyone is different. The only side effects I deal with from Saxenda are (sometimes overbearing) nausea and every once in a while, sleepiness. I stopped taking it for about a month in December (couldn't handle the nausea) and my doctor suggested I start all over again, so I did. In that month I didn't gain any weight because Saxenda has helped me form much healthier choices. Obviously with the medicine you'll have to change your diet and increase exercise, but for me it's been a life changing drug. I still have a long way to go on my weight loss journey but I've also come a very long way. Stick with it and even if it's not right for you, good luck! You can do it.

Wow, looking back and reading this I sound like I advertise for them lol I just want to spread my story and hopefully inspire others.
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! There's a group for Saxenda users if you look for it - just someplace off the main forums for us to chat.

I'm on week 5, just increased to 1.8 mg. and have lost 8 lbs since January 11th. And the nausea is KILLER.
  • nhywd808
    nhywd808 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Where is the group...I cannot find it. Thanks!
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'll send you an invite :)
  • mcspeight
    mcspeight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started taking saxenda in the morning but recently switched to bedtime due to feeling tired. I'm not sure if the tiredness was a side effect for sure or not as Im a nurse and work shift work and also have OSA and have been taking my mask off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason....since the switch I havnt noticed any difference appetite wise. This weekend I increase to 2.4mg (I'm only in creasing every 2nd week instead of every week to decrease side effects) I don't notice any real nausea. I sometimes get a 'weird feeling' in my gut but that's it.
  • justjoy3
    justjoy3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How can I find the support group
  • Kimberly17
    Kimberly17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not finding the support group either. I would love to join
  • brandicoker
    brandicoker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to join as well
  • pjhsflower
    pjhsflower Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started in May and so far 25 pounds gone. I'm very interested in joining the support group also, please send me an invite.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It's a GLP-1 receptor agonist, a diabetes drug with the side effect of slowing gastric emptying and thus making you feel satisfied longer. Keep up with your doctor and have the recommended labs done. Some animals in the trials developed thyroid cancer. It can increase your heart rate and make you feel sick to your stomach. Ok. I'm an RN.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Not shocki most insurances don't cover it since most elective medications are not covered by insurance.