supplements/vitamins

Options
2»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Iron, Vit D, B Vit, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. The first 4 for deficiencies, the last one for my joints.
    Glucosamine is one I'd recommend taking - there are very few food sources of this (shellfish excepted, and I don't eat it). It does make a difference to joints, especially for older people.

Except that it really doesn't.

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate have been extensively studied. Despite the availability of the literature, there is essentially no evidence that minimum clinically important outcomes have been achieved compared to placebo, whether evaluated alone or in combination.

http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/OAKSummaryofRecommendations.pdf

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Iron, Vit D, B Vit, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. The first 4 for deficiencies, the last one for my joints.
    Glucosamine is one I'd recommend taking - there are very few food sources of this (shellfish excepted, and I don't eat it). It does make a difference to joints, especially for older people.

Except that it really doesn't.

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate have been extensively studied. Despite the availability of the literature, there is essentially no evidence that minimum clinically important outcomes have been achieved compared to placebo, whether evaluated alone or in combination.

http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/OAKSummaryofRecommendations.pdf
    Except the study you've linked there is about symptomatic osteoarthritis sufferers. Other studies (and reviews of studies) have concluded that there is some benefit to glucosamine, in reducing joint stiffness and improving joint mobility in the general population. Were I to receive a diagnosis of OA, I wouldn't be relying on a mineral supplement but, as someone in their early 40's, I'm focusing on increased weight bearing exercise, combined with a glucosamine supplement to improve my joint functionality. For me, it's working - and (let's face it) 20-odd pounds off my frame is also helping massively!
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D- a must prevents cancer and autoimmune. Greatly helps my energy and thyroid. Magnesium- for my high blood pressure, headaches. Vitamin K- for my osteopenia. Omegas and coq10, Vitamin B, Vitamin C as I remember they do help me feel better. The first three were per my doctor to address low levels.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    One a Day Women's Multi-V and NatureWise Vitamin D 5,000 IU.