Muscle food

Options
2»

Replies

• fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I only order the meat packs...feeds my family of 4 for about 6 weeks on £50.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I use them and order every 6 weeks or so - I really like the chicken breasts. They are much better than supermarket (less water added).

I've used them for a while now and only every had one issue (with a missing item). I emailed them and offered reimbursement or replacement. I asked for reimbursement and they credited me the money the next day. Excellent service. The food always arrives well packaged and still chilled (I organise delivery on a day when I work from home so it's not sitting on the drive all day).

Regular order items are:
    • Chicken breasts
    • Pork Loin steaks
    • UK Grass fed minced steak
    • Grill stock rub (great on the chicken breasts)
    • Diced steak
    • Zip lock bags (I buy chicken breasts in 2.5kg packs and then bag up into pairs for freezing - takes Mrs StealthHealth about 10 mins to bag up 5kg)
    • Meridian peanut butter - I buy the 1kg tubs from them - they are the same price as 500g in supermarket.

If on offer or part of a bundle:
    • Turkey Breast Mince
    • Hache Steaks (beef only - IMHO the turkey are like cardboard)
    • Whatever steaks they have are usually very, very good but they are expensive (even when on offer)
    • Stir Fry rose veal packs - really good for stroganoff or stir fry.
    • Liver - I like live and the pigs liver is good, but I only get it every few orders.
    • The Barbery duck breast are the best I've ever had - but they are pricey so wait for an offer.
    • Horse steaks - pretty good, a different taste to beef and very soft but the price puts me off ordering unless on offer.
    • Meat balls are pretty good but no cheaper than supermarket.

What I've tried and didn't enjoy
    • Low fat chicken and pork sausages (they were just too dry and the skins really hard - although their "normal fat" ones are OK.
    • Chicken burgers - too dry
    • Protein Pizzas - I don't need to eat gluten free so I take the stance that there is no point in compromising in this area. For me the base tasted a bit like mashed potato?!?

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I might stick an order in. I've been sent a £10 off code.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Order meat by mail? Isn't that expensive?

Yes. I often wonder if people who shop at these places have every comparison shopped. I just checked Omaha Steaks, for example, and they want $36.99 for 20 ounces of top sirloin (four 5 ounces steaks (so just under two servings in my book). That's just under $30 a pound. For top sirloin.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    • Meridian peanut butter - I buy the 1kg tubs from them - they are the same price as 500g

You legend! My PT has said to me this week I need to up my fats and you've just saved me some research :smiley:

Also, props on the detailed reply! I found that if you cook the pizzas from frozen they're better. Anyway enough of the pizzas!

Agree on the sausages, I'm going to change mine this order and try something else.

Tying their meatballs tonight, will post on here after what they're like.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Yes. I often wonder if people who shop at these places have every comparison shopped. I just checked Omaha Steaks, for example, and they want $36.99 for 20 ounces of top sirloin (four 5 ounces steaks (so just under two servings in my book). That's just under $30 a pound. For top sirloin.

I worked for UPS for five years. A shocking amount of people order from Omaha Steaks. I wish I had that much disposable income.
  • StealthHealth
    Options

I can only speak of the UK prices but for beef (I only buy grass fed - which in the UK is more expensive that grain) and chicken; their standard prices (excluding delivery) are comparable to supermarket "value/Basics" range cuts. But, the quality is much, much better - equivalent to supermarkets "premuim" range or that from a butcher. And, since I order over £50 each time the postage is free.

There are often special offers - today for example they are selling 10 6-7oz (1.7kg total) grass fed New York Strip steaks for £28 ($37 for 3.8lb).

• IAmThunderHawk
    Options
    Didn't end up having meatballs last night, got them for lunch. Will report back, they look lush though!
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like them, but I wouldn't blindly buy from them as some things they do are either gross, or horrifically expensive.

My regular order is chicken breasts (price is spot on, quality is better than supermarkets), low fat sausages (for me, they're pretty much as good as standard sausages), lean beef mince, and their protein bars and powder. And whatever steaks they have around, they do a good variety and they're all pretty amazing.

I'm sure their burgers are good, but at £2 each I just can't justify it, not when I can buy Angus steak burgers for around £1 elsewhere. The protein pizza has never appealed.

I've tried the protein pies, and they're disgusting. The "pastry" is like thick soggy cardboard. I also don't like the zero fat sausages.

My experience in general has been that the more 'raw' products are the best value, and the more processed ones seem very expensive to me. So I stick with the basic products, I can make my own marinades for chicken.

If they didn't regularly have special offers I probably wouldn't buy from them to be honest, but as they do it's worth it for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone order "protein pizza", when you can make your very own meatza (chicken breast and egg crust) for like $3, if that?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I can only speak of the UK prices but for beef (I only buy grass fed - which in the UK is more expensive that grain) and chicken; their standard prices (excluding delivery) are comparable to supermarket "value/Basics" range cuts. But, the quality is much, much better - equivalent to supermarkets "premuim" range or that from a butcher. And, since I order over £50 each time the postage is free.

There are often special offers - today for example they are selling 10 6-7oz (1.7kg total) grass fed New York Strip steaks for £28 ($37 for 3.8lb).

That does sound like a deal. It's difficult to compare pricing, but in the US you can get sirloin for anywhere from $6-$10 a pound depending on quality. The best I've done is with a group where we contacted a restaurant supplier of prime beef, bought in bulk, and then split it up among us ourselves. It was a great way to get prime ribeye for a reasonable cost. My issue is that I consume about 20-25 ounces of chicken, pork, and beef per day, so I watch costs carefully. I'm sure there are many of us in the same boat and some who eat more.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

That does sound like a deal. It's difficult to compare pricing, but in the US you can get sirloin for anywhere from $6-$10 a pound depending on quality. The best I've done is with a group where we contacted a restaurant supplier of prime beef, bought in bulk, and then split it up among us ourselves. It was a great way to get prime ribeye for a reasonable cost. My issue is that I consume about 20-25 ounces of chicken, pork, and beef per day, so I watch costs carefully. I'm sure there are many of us in the same boat and some who eat more.

I eat nearly nothing but meat, and on the cheap. Between the weird fat-phobia that lingers from the 80s and 90s, to the fact that most people refuse to touch offal, you can score great deals on fatty meats and organ cuts all day.
  • StealthHealth
    Options

I've been trying to persuade some of the regular lifters at my gym to go for a bulk buy but they look at me like I'm a weirdo (of course that could be my new knee-high deadlifting sox or just paranoia from too much pre-work-out-coffee).
  • StealthHealth
    Options

I eat nearly nothing but meat, and on the cheap. Between the weird fat-phobia that lingers from the 80s and 90s, to the fact that most people refuse to touch offal, you can score great deals on fatty meats and organ cuts all day.

^^true. Liver and Chicken Thighs for the win.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but obviously I HAVE to check them out now!
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

There is some great food to be had with offal, if it's done right.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    Options
    FYI meatballs = amazing taste!