Thoughts on "Clean Eating"

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Let me preface, I am not a clean eater. But when i think of 'clean eating' this list pretty much says it all and includes the foods i think of when i hear this term, all except for the whey protein, i wouldn't think that would make it on a clean eaters shopping list??

qomdbaejjvk8.jpg

I look at that list and I see a lot of trendy and expensive things. That is where I think "clean eating" as a concept is most harmful. It promotes the idea that clean eating is necessary for health or losing weight and implicitly:
    • Requires higher priced produce, meats, and other ingredients
    • Requires shopping more frequently to avoid wasting those items to spoilage
    • Requires extensive home preparation (an investment in time)

What that says to someone who doesn't have the time and means to indulge in those luxuries is they can't afford to be healthy or maintain a healthy weight. It never says it outright, but it is a form of dietary elitism and marking out social status. It's the nutritional equivalent of buying a fancy car.

And the list is missing ketchup!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Let me preface, I am not a clean eater. But when i think of 'clean eating' this list pretty much says it all and includes the foods i think of when i hear this term, all except for the whey protein, i wouldn't think that would make it on a clean eaters shopping list??

qomdbaejjvk8.jpg

I look at that list and I see a lot of trendy and expensive things. That is where I think "clean eating" as a concept is most harmful. It promotes the idea that clean eating is necessary for health or losing weight and implicitly:

What that says to someone who doesn't have the time and means to indulge in those luxuries is they can't afford to be healthy or maintain a healthy weight. It never says it outright, but it is a form of dietary elitism and marking out social status. It's the nutritional equivalent of buying a fancy car.

Bingo
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

qomdbaejjvk8.jpg

Like i said these are the types of food that come to mind when i see "clean eating" mentioned. And yes, it would be an expensive way to eat imo.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

qomdbaejjvk8.jpg

@Christine_72

That depends entirely on what form of Clean Eating you adhere to.

When I first started "clean eating" way back when I followed the Tosca Reno version. Whey protein was ok (it's a bodybuilder type diet). Grass fed wasnt even a thing. But a lot of the things on your list would make the cut.

Paleo "clean eating" is totally different. Grass fed is a priority. Dairy and grains are out. Fruit is very limited.

Then there is the Dr. Furhman type clean eating which is vegetarian. Meat is out. Grains are definitely in as is fruit. Dairy is out.

It all depends on your version of "clean eating'. Even the one, three, five ingredient rule doesn't apply across the board. Even the "pronounceable" ingredients doesn't make the cut.

ETA - like jgnataca said, it doesn't matter which list you follow, there will always be someone to tell you something you eat isn't clean.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's the problem with any fastidiousness club. There will always be someone more stringent than you, protesting that you are messing up their pretty little garden. You'll never make the grade, especially if the score card keeps changing.

(Mixxy uppy metaphor I know)

@jgnatca

Oh man is that right. So right it hurts.

The clean eating club, babyled weaning club, the breastfeeding club.

There's a movie for this right now, "Bad Moms". Oh, the pressure to be perfect; it can be so much one wants to throw in the towel completely.

How much better would it be to allow a life with flaws?

Life with flaws club, I'm in!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a flawed fruit trend (intermarche) right now.
    Ugly-vegetables-and-fruits-.jpg

Reduce food wastage.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That carrot is more obscene than ugly, but I see carrots like that all the time at the green market, and no one seems bothered by them. Apples there are rarely weird looking, though. Wonder if it is much less common.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I'd say those apples are twins. I've picked them like that before. Carrots will split in rocky soil. More inglorious vegetables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQQMygivn0g
  • jollyjeepers
    jollyjeepers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good for you to try something new. We all need to expand our own horizons from time to time.

I have recently (before joining here) tried to avoid hormones and GMO in my diet for the sake that it may be affecting my hormones and ability to lose weight. I'm not a big eater anyhow. I am eating a lot more vegetables like you and not eating as much food as was recommended for my weight, but so far that's O.K.

I have started using Almond milk instead of cow's milk and really enjoy it. It doesn't have as much protein as regular milk, but has other added benefits.

I've also tried a lot of new things that I might not have otherwise. I like the Naked brand bottled smoothies and have tried some new vegetables and am enjoying avocados now.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Basic rules are, if you cant pronounce a name of an ingredient you cant eat it. If there is an ingredient that you couldnt find on a regular grocery store shelf, you cant eat it. Anything that is processed, you cant eat.

That's not quite the definition of "clean eating" I'm familiar with but to follow that I'd need a definition of what is meant by "processed". For example: Is peanut butter okay if it's just peanuts and salt? I could easily pronounce and find those ingredients but it would be hard to argue that grinding is not a process.

But, since this is just a 30 day challenge I don't see anything wrong with sticking it out for 8 more days. I did try eating 100% (or very close to) clean (my definition: all natural un/minimally processed ingredients) for a while but found it time consuming and too limiting. I gradually loosened up a bit but still eat mostly clean by my definition. I like eating whole natural foods.
  • jgnatca
    edited July 2016
    Options
    See if you can guess which popular cookie this is:

ingredients-THEIRS.jpg

The unpronounceables I imagine would be the vitamins, "High Oleic", "Calcium Phosphate", and "Soy Lecithin".

- high oleic - high in mono-saturated fats. A good thing.
    - calcium phosphate is GRAS*, and is found naturally in milk and blood. It is used as a leavening agent. Leavening means fluffy.
    - soy lecithin is also GRAS*. This is an emulsifier. We emulsify manually when making salad dressing, by furiously whipping oil and vinegar/water together.
    - I'll assume that most clean eaters don't intend to cut out their consumption of vitamins.

*Generally Regarded As Safe
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

qomdbaejjvk8.jpg

^^^This, this and this...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    That list doesnt have turkey or pork on it. Or squash, like acorn or butternut. It doesnt have chili powder or even red pepper flakes - or (GASP!) peanut butter!!! It is sort of an elitist kind of gathering of randomly "blessed" ingredients - not my idea of a good time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    That list doesnt have turkey or pork on it. Or squash, like acorn or butternut. It doesnt have chili powder or even red pepper flakes - or (GASP!) peanut butter!!! It is sort of an elitist kind of gathering of randomly "blessed" ingredients - not my idea of a good time.

Yeah, it has coconut butter, ghee, and spelt flour . . . but no onions? It's ridiculous.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Yeah, it has coconut butter, ghee, and spelt flour . . . but no onions? It's ridiculous.

Nor whole wheat flour!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

LOL i never made up the list, or said i agreed with it. There's always mass confusion when 'clean eating' is brought up here. So i put forth my general idea of what i think it is.

It would be nice if someone who actually follows this woe would come in and give their opinion of the list.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Looking at that list, I don't understand the obsession with kale. Calorie for calorie, Kale is nearly identical to Romaine Lettuce- ok so Romaine has a little more potassium and Kale has a little more protein, but it's negligible. And Kale is so bitter and requires more work to make it taste good. I long for the day when kale is removed from it's pedestal and our culture embraces a wider variety of vegetables.