Schedule for people who lift

What's everyone's schedule for lifting weights? Curious on the ones who lift 6 days a week?!

Replies

• chrisvwpw
    chrisvwpw Posts: 5 Member
    I do a push pull leg split 6 days a week.my rest day is sunday.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
  • danield948
    danield948 Posts: 1 Member
    chest and triceps Monday and Thursday, back and biceps on Tuesday and Friday, Shoulders and Legs on Wednesday and Saturday. Off Sunday. I throw in Abs and cardio every other day.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    I have a legs, upper body push, and upper body pull rotation. Each one gets 2 days a week, but one is lighter with higher reps (10-12), the other is brutal and in the 4-5 rep range. Most of the exercises are different, with compound movements getting the heavy treatment and single joint movements the higher reps. Just listen to your body and get rest so your muscles can grow.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I've varied between 4-5 days a week over the last couple of years. My bench and press seem to get the most progress if I work chest and shoulders three days a week, my squats seem okay between two to three days a week, and my deads I only do once a week while using trap bar deads to fill in one to two times a week.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited July 2016
    I strength train 4 days a week and cardio on the weekends.

Monday: chest and biceps
    Tuesday: back and triceps
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: legs
    Friday: shoulders and traps
    Saturday: cardio (walk jog sprints)
    Sunday: cardio (walk jog sprints)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    I've always done 4. I've either broken it up by compound lifts, and followed with accessories. I've also done two days power, two days hypertrophy, split by upper and lower. Now my program is:
    Monday-Squat volume, Bench Heavy, Hip Thrust
    Tuesday-Squat Strength, Bench hypertrophy, Deadlift Power
    Thursday-Squat Power followed by glute work: cable pull throughs, cable kick backs, hip abduction
    Friday-Bench Strength, Deadlift Strength. Then I do good mornings, followed by upper body accessories like face pulls, seal rows, skull crushers, bicep curls, lat pull downs.

All in all I'm focused on my compound lifts. Squat 3x per week, Bench 3x, deadlift 2x.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Saturday - lower body (hip thrusts, squats, quad/ham superset, band abduction variation, squat finisher)
    Monday - upper body (vertical pull/push, shoulders, tris/bis)
    Wednesday - lower body (deadlifts, glute bridges, quad/ham superset, band abduction variation, squat finisher)
    Friday - upper body (horizontal pull/push, shoulders, tris/bis)

Right now I'm using a 4 week training block, cycling through sets of 8-10, 6-8, 10-12, and 15 depending on the week.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    I do 3x2
    monday - chest and abs
    tuesday - shoulders and back
    wednesday - legs and arms
    thursday - chest and abs
    friday - shoulders and back
    saturday - legs and arms... and cartoons
    sunday - rest day

depending on mood and energy levels, I switch accessory lifts and rep schemes in the second half of the week.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Wendler 531
    Mon - Heavy OHP, main lift then 5x10 bench plus back accessories
    Tue - Heavy deadz, main lift then 5x10 squats plus accessories like abs
    Wed - Rest
    Thur - Heavy bench, main lift then 5x10 OHP plus back accessories
    Fri - Heavy squat, main lift then 5x10 deadz plus more leg accessories
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Rest

It follows a 3 week heavier progression with fewer reps then the 4th week is a light deload week.

Essentially I have a heavy main lift then the opposite lift as a lighter weight for 5x10. Accessories are whatever you want to throw in extra but Wendler and other's always caution about "majoring in the minors".
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    5 days a week, and what lift goes where depends on the focus for any given cycle. Currently on a squat and deadlift focus so doing both three times a week plus benching twice.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Right now I am doing a 4x per week full body program, with focus on glutes.
    In the past I did a 5 day split:
    M - Glutes
    T - Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    W - Quads/Glutes
    Th - Back/Bi's
    F - Hams/Glutes

I actually prefer the full body program though
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Starting Strength program generally 3x's a week (MWF); sometimes every other day including weekends. Split routine. Day 1: Squat, Bench Press and Power Clean. Day 2: Squat, Overhead Press and Deadlift. Usually do 2-3 warm ups at lower weights and 3 sets of 5 reps for all except Deadlifts, which only requires 1 set of 5 reps. Weight is increased 5# each session or fractionally as necessary. Still in linear progression and have not needed to incorporate an intermediate training program yet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    As a beginner you should follow an established program rather than make one up yourself
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    I lift 4x a week. 3 of those days consist of a full body workout. All compound lifts lifting heavy AF. On the other day I focus on shoulders and mobility. I can't stress the importance of good shoulder health. After each session I'll do a variation of HIIT cardio. For the other days in the week I'll dabble in bodyweight stuff nothing major.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Monday- heavy squat, light(er) bench, tricep and glute/ham accessories
    Wednesday - light squat, heavy bench, abs/upper back accessories
    Friday - deadlift (either heavy, moderate or light deficit), BB rows, SSB squat, abs/upper back accessories

That's it. No more than three days a week. When I go to four, my recovery is for crap. Never would I lift 6 days a week but some people make it work. Everyone's recovery is different and affected by a number of things. The best way to find out is try it and see what works for you.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Monday: glute activation, glutes, hip abduction, hip rotation
    Tues: back, arms, abs
    Wed: glute activation, hip abduction, hip rotation
    Thur: shoulders, legs
    Fri: glute activation, glutes, hip abduction, hip rotation
    Sat/Sun: hike, cycle for fun

Mon-Fri: run followed by speed work or endurance training
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Depending on what your goals are this schedule will be different for everyone. Someone doing a 5x5 program who is trying to gain strength would lift fewer days a week. I am currently doing Jim Stoppani short cut to shred and I go all the days of the program and if there are more rest days than I want then I fill in cardio on those days. I agree with a previous poster you should use a set routine and not try and make your own if you are just starting out. Good luck lady!
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    I am doing the 5X5 program exactly as laid out. 3 days a week. 6 months in, it is coming along great.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    My wife and I both follow the same plan. On my compound lifts I do pyramid set of 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, and all isolation movements I do 3 set of 10, with one dropset at the end of each muscle worked.
    1 to 2 hours lifting plus 30 minutes of cardio each day.

Day one Chest and triceps plus cardio
    Day two Back and Biceps plus cardio
    Day three cardio only
    Day four Legs plus low impact cardio
    Day five Shoulders plus cardio
    Day six arms (wife skips this arm day) plus cardio
    Day seven outdoor (mountain biking, jogging, hiking & etc.)
    I do abs and calves every day.
    I do all the cardio because I believe it lets me eat more while staying trim.