Best brown rice???

Options
netter24
netter24 Posts: 12 Member
What are people's favorite kind of brown rice? I hate Minute Rice and want to try something different! Thanks:)

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great Value's rice is just straight up brown rice (no extra ingredients). However, its not a quick fix, it takes time to cook.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Something quick that tastes good: Kroger frozen microwaveable rice
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to basmati rice, of which I usually get a store brand, or Trader Joes has pretty good brown basmati rice.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I like Lundberg's multigrain rice
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Basmati for the win!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Brown basmati rice, has the lowest glycemic load of all rice. When you’re talking about glycemic load, lower is better. Although some types of rice have a lower glycemic load than others, no type of rice can really be considered a low glycemic food. But if you are going with a grain, go with whole grain. Meaning that both the germ and the bran parts of the grain have been preserved. In white rice, these have been polished away. As a result, brown rice is higher in magnesium and other minerals. It also has more fiber.

I am amazed at how well quinoa, millet, and amaranth does at substituting for rice. Much healthier options, and yes they taste good too, (Full disclosure, I put sauce on my grains so I don't really "taste" any of them anyway) unless you really want brown rice.

I use a rice cooker so when I make brown rice it isn't difficult, I go for a verity of healthy grains.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I like the Fit & Active from Aldi's.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Brown Basmati. It is a little stickier and has a sweet fragrance. My favourite way to prepare rice these days is baked in the oven. I typically add about a tablespoon of wild rice too just because.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm a white rice kinda guy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I get the brown rice bowls you can microwave from costco