Weight gain after tubal ligation?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else gained weight after their tubal ligation? I gained 100lbs over 8 years and the only thing that ever changed was getting a tubal ligation and going off of birth control pills. My eating and exercise habits never changed. Last year I convinced my doctor to put me on birth control pills for 3 months and I kept everything else the same, dropped 15 lbs. It has taken me 5 years to drop 30ish lbs but i keep on keeping on:grumble:

Replies

• mariposawillis
    mariposawillis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a tubal ligation. I've been reading a lot of con and pros about the procedure. Thanks for sharing your experience
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There is nothing involved in a tubal ligation that could possibly cause weight gain unless they mucked it up so bad as to cause bilateral ovarian atrophy by ligating both ovarian arteries with both fallopian tubes. But you would have never had any periods post-op if that were the case as you would have been thrown into nearly immediate iatrogenic menopause and would have noticed something abnormal was up back then.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Nope. Had a tubal, haven't gained weight because of it.

I'm thinking about getting a tubal ligation. I've been reading a lot of con and pros about the procedure. Thanks for sharing your experience

The only con I had was gas pain in my shoulder, but the doc gives you painkillers. I had no other pain and it went away in two days and then I was good to go. Compared to a c-section, a tubal is awesome.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your weight gain was not due to tubal ligation.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make sense that it would cause you to gain weight, and certainly not that much. Have you been to an endocrinologist to look for other issues?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Had a tubal ligation in the fall of 2009 (along with an endometrial ablation). No weight related side effects. The ptocedure, when done correctly, does nothing to impact your hormone levels.

You might think your eating habits didn't change, but calorie creep is so easy! :disappointed: Unless you were strictly tracking your intake, it's likely you were eating more than you think. Most of us have been there, I know I have!

You can lose the weight--I've lost about 100 pounds in total. :blush:
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Tubal ligation did not change my weight at all. I will add that if you haven't been tracking/logging your eating and exercise, you really can't be sure that nothing has changed over such a long time period. Also, a trip to the doctor and blood work might reveal if anything may have changed.
  • mzalice52275
    mzalice52275 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had tube station tied and an oblation, the hormone changes may cause you to gain. My advice is to eat a healthy diet....a diet that works with your blood type. It works!!!!! I'm Open positive, I'm supposed to eat protein and veggies. When I ate that way, I went from 200lbs to 128lbs in less than 6 months.....It works.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had tube station tied and an oblation, the hormone changes may cause you to gain. My advice is to eat a healthy diet....a diet that works with your blood type. It works!!!!! I'm Open positive, I'm supposed to eat protein and veggies. When I ate that way, I went from 200lbs to 128lbs in less than 6 months.....It works.

There is no such thing as a blood type diet. It's one of the worst bits of quackery out there in diet land. Also, what hormone changes?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I had one also, no weight gain from it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight after having one.