Supplement Help! | Can I take B-complex + Standalone B-12??

Options
Sorry if this has been answered - haven't had much luck googling this...

I'm currently taking Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw B-Complex ( https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Complex-Capsules/dp/B00280M12A )

I started taking that, along with Zhou nutrition's green tea supplement to begin improving my metabolism. I know B-12 is supposed to be excellent for your metabolism so I wanted to incorporate that too, if it will help (and not harm!!).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here is how those who are supplementing with B12 (Vegeterain or vegan diet) could become deficient:
    ·They waited too long to start supplementing and then didn’t take a high enough dosage to rebuild stores.
    ·They think they are supplementing “faithfully,” but are really just taking a small dose of B12 a couple of times a week.
    ·They aren’t chewing their B12 tablet or using a sublingual pill and aren’t digesting the pills that are swallowed whole.
    ·They are using methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin, not realizing that the dosage requirements for methylcobalamin could be much higher—maybe as high as 1,000 to 2,000 micrograms per day (as opposed to the 25 micrograms of cyanocobalamin that are probably sufficient.)
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/recommended-supplements-for-vegans.html
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat, you should get all the B12 you need, and more won't help.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    there is already B12 in the B complex... no need to take additional b12.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ok, I knew there was some already in the complex, but wasn't sure if adding more would be beneficial. Thank you!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Only helps if you have a deficiency. A multivitamin from walmart at 3 cents a day would have all you need.
    Green tea does not boost metabolism.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I heard that even people who eat meat can become deficient in B12 because it's not available in livestock the way it's raise now. You can ask your doctor to do a test.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    About asking the doctor for tests: Insurance does not pay if a patient requests a test. Only if the doctor feels there is a deficiency due to symptoms will insurance pay. Has to be medically necessary.
    I got hit with a $200 bill for asking for a vitamin D test.
    *Just a little helpful note. Something to always know.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I think the OP just thinks it will bump up her metabolism for some reason so probably best not spend $ on a test...
  • southrnchic479
    Options

I did some research before buying the green tea, because I wasn't sure if it was legit or not but apparently it does help: "A study reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea-extract increases the metabolism by 4% over a 24 hour period" (from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-tips-to-increase-metabolism.htm - It's on #8).

At any rate, I know it's got lots of antioxidants so it can't hurt.

• southrnchic479
    Options
    Also should mention I have Gilbert's syndrome...I don't fully understand it and TBH I don't really notice any side affects (except my husband always jokes with me that I look yellow lol) but apparently from some quick googling, B-12 and B-complex vitamins help tone down the yellowing of the skin (it's like living with Jaundice I guess - in short, my liver doesn't process bilirubin efficiently so it builds up in my bloodstream making me look yellow. No harm to me though) ::shrug:: lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    My sister takes b-100 by now foods and says it gives her energy. I just started a sublingual b12 vitamin since I don't eat meat, eggs and minimal cheese.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    b-12 is water soluble so you're not going to hurt yourself by taking extra if that's what you want to do;) You'll just pee out any the body doesn't utilize.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I did some research before buying the green tea, because I wasn't sure if it was legit or not but apparently it does help: "A study reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea-extract increases the metabolism by 4% over a 24 hour period" (from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-tips-to-increase-metabolism.htm - It's on #8).

At any rate, I know it's got lots of antioxidants so it can't hurt.

It would allow you to access the study but i believe this addresses the same one. Can greent tea increase metabolism, not really, at least outside the normal means of caffeine. But if you like it, go for it. It will hydrate you..

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/10/432727282/will-drinking-green-tea-boost-your-metabolism-no-so-fast

Exercise and muscle gain (which the latter is more difficult) are really the only legal things to modify metabolism. Vitamins will not.