Weight loss help

Options
jdawson002
jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
After piling on the lb's, I started going to the gym about 2 months ago and exercising 5 nights a week. Since then I have lost approximately 1 stone in weight which I am happy about but thought it would come off a lot quicker.

Each gym session I burn off about 500 calories (I do 30 mins on the cross trainer - 300 calories and 25 minutes on bike - 150 calories and a 5 minute cool down on treadmill - 50 calories). I have also restricted my diet to the following on Monday - Friday and the weekend more relaxed but conscious

Breakfast - Bowl of rice crispies with skimmed milk
Brunch - banana
Lunch - 2x Ryvita Cracker with low fat cheese spread, carrot sticks and low fat yogurt.
Snack - Apple
Dinner - variety of meals which include a variety of fresh meats and veg. none fried or pre-packed.

Any suggestions? where am I going wrong?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not about exercise really...you can lose weight without exercise.

it's about the deficit you have each day.

Unless you are logging consistently and accurately using a food scale and correct entries there is no telling if you are in a deficit.

AS well the exercise machines probably are over estimating the calories you burned....could be as high as 50% higher than reality.

In order for me to burn 50 calories I have to walk 1/2mile at a pace of 4-4.5mph...not cool down speed yet the machine tells you it's 50 for a 5min cool down walk...
  • jdawson002
    edited July 2016
    Options
    o6j4visv97z6.jpg
    Thanks for the reply.....I will have to start measuring portions and logging all meals.

What should be a healthy calorie deficit?

Strange that machine will over exaggerate calories burnt. The picture below shows a recent 30 minute cross trainer session. I have the resistance fairly high so does this look about normal?

• SezxyStef
    Options
    I personally don't trust machine burns...I've read articles where the manufactures have admitted to inflating the burns.

the deficit is dependant on how much you currently weigh, how much you want to lose a week and current maintenance.

you enter your stats here, try to follow these guidelines

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

and it will give you the amount of calories without exercise you should eat to lose the amount of weight you want.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You should stay away from simple carbs that may make you bloat & retain water. Rice is definitely a no-no.
    Have proteins at every meals, especially breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Here's what you should do... I did & it works.

For one "PILOT" week... do every day.
    1.) Weight yourself as soon as you get up in morning.
    2.) Any/all the foods (including liquids, e.g. soups, shakes etc.), weigh them before you eat. Have more proteins & less of carbs.
    3.) Do only cardio exercise (no strength training) & record only the minutes & not the calories burned or distance.

As the week progresses, you will find if you are losing or gaining your weight, adjust your cardio/food intake accordingly until you hit that 'sweet spot' where you will find your body is losing weight consistently.

Also, see a doctor to rule out any medical conditions (hormonal imbalance, thyroid..etc.) that might affect weight gain/loss.

All the best!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    After piling on the lb's, I started going to the gym about 2 months ago and exercising 5 nights a week. Since then I have lost approximately 1 stone in weight which I am happy about but thought it would come off a lot quicker.

Each gym session I burn off about 500 calories (I do 30 mins on the cross trainer - 300 calories and 25 minutes on bike - 150 calories and a 5 minute cool down on treadmill - 50 calories). I have also restricted my diet to the following on Monday - Friday and the weekend more relaxed but conscious

Breakfast - Bowl of rice crispies with skimmed milk
    Brunch - banana
    Lunch - 2x Ryvita Cracker with low fat cheese spread, carrot sticks and low fat yogurt.
    Snack - Apple
    Dinner - variety of meals which include a variety of fresh meats and veg. none fried or pre-packed.

Any suggestions? where am I going wrong?

14 pounds in two months? That is not really slow! It seems that you have done quite well.

Also, for you to have netted 297 calories in that time, you would have had to have been working REALLY intensely. As a racewalker, I usually credit myself maybe 400-450 for an intense hour on the treadmill.
  • jdawson002
    Options

14 pounds in two months? That is not really slow! It seems that you have done quite well.

Also, for you to have netted 297 calories in that time, you would have had to have been working REALLY intensely. As a racewalker, I usually credit myself maybe 400-450 for an intense hour on the treadmill. [/quote]

Thanks!!

The 297 calories is on the cross trainer but yeah I do whack the resistance up quite a bit; when I started 2 months ago I couldn't even manage 5 minutes with zero resistance!!

By the way, I'm about 16st 2lbs at the minute......not a bad cross trainer workout for a fatty!!!
  • MFPUser42354
    MFPUser42354 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 14 pounds in two months that is good. Keep it up! Consider adding in strength/weight training. Don't worry, you will not get bulky. When done right you will add lean muscle. That benefits you in 2 ways 1) A pound of muscle takes up 1/3 of the space of a pound of fat. 2) Muscle burns more calories. So the end result is you will look thinner, be more toned, and your body will be burning more calories every day.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    mankars wrote: »
    Hi,

You should stay away from simple carbs that may make you bloat & retain water. Rice is definitely a no-no.
    Have proteins at every meals, especially breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Here's what you should do... I did & it works.

For one "PILOT" week... do every day.
    1.) Weight yourself as soon as you get up in morning.
    2.) Any/all the foods (including liquids, e.g. soups, shakes etc.), weigh them before you eat. Have more proteins & less of carbs.
    3.) Do only cardio exercise (no strength training) & record only the minutes & not the calories burned or distance.

As the week progresses, you will find if you are losing or gaining your weight, adjust your cardio/food intake accordingly until you hit that 'sweet spot' where you will find your body is losing weight consistently.

Also, see a doctor to rule out any medical conditions (hormonal imbalance, thyroid..etc.) that might affect weight gain/loss.

All the best!

NO
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    14 pounds in 2 months: you're not doing anything wrong. This is a great pace, almost 2 pounds per week.
  • jdawson002
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!!!

Just thought that being a fatty it would come off quicker!!
  • jdawson002
    Options
    Managed 300 calories in under 30 minutes on the cross trainer last night.....not bad for a fatty eh!!

c6wi0e4j6xfy.jpg
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up- you are doing great!! keep it going as its showing its working, id just do more circuit training or HIT training (High Intensity) look it up and go on youtube to view how some people do it, that seems to burn off fat faster then normal cardio sessions and it takes up much less time.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As others have said: 14 pounds in 2 weeks is a really good rate.
    Weight loss isn't something you can hurry beyond a basic rate. You didn't gain that stone in 2 weeks, you can't lose it in two weeks.
  • jdawson002
    Options
    And beat my personal best on the cross trainer again last night.....buzzing!!

mww8fia168ss.jpg
    u6oiwncnf7au.jpg