Go-To Meals:

Options
Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
You open the fridge and panic sets in. The cupboards elicit a similar response. Same for the pantry. You have no time and have to come up with dinner – and fast. But what will satisfy your hunger without requiring an hour of prep time?

* Peanut butter and jelly is an old favorite that’s even better when served on toasted whole wheat
bread.
* Pita pocket sandwiches are delectably stuffed with veggies and healthy lunch meat. Its shape is
perfect for eating on-the-go. For some variety, try a whole grain bagel sandwich.
* Peas and tuna are a breeze. Open a can of each, mix, microwave, and you’re set. For a little more
flavor, jazz it up with some spices or more vegetables.
* Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast! Heat some up for any meal of the day. With so many flavors to
choose from, you don’t need an excuse to get this boost of fiber.
* Beans and brown rice cover two of your main energy sources. The protein in the beans fuels your
muscles, while the complex carbs in the rice provides lasting energy. To save time, try a
quick-cook variety of brown rice.
* Low-sodium soup and crackers will fill you up fast. Add some fresh or even canned vegetables for
more nutrients.
* Whole wheat pancakes taste great, no matter what time is blinking on the clock. With a powdered
mix, you can be flipping some hotcakes in a flash. To save more time, toast frozen whole wheat
waffles.
* Chicken burritos are probably easier to make than you might think. Heat chicken, beans and
vegetables, and wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla. Sprinkle on low-fat cheese and you’ve nearly
hit all of the major food groups with one bite.

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Options
    You open the fridge and panic sets in. The cupboards elicit a similar response. Same for the pantry. You have no time and have to come up with dinner – and fast. But what will satisfy your hunger without requiring an hour of prep time?

* Peanut butter and jelly is an old favorite that’s even better when served on toasted whole wheat
    bread.
    * Pita pocket sandwiches are delectably stuffed with veggies and healthy lunch meat. Its shape is
    perfect for eating on-the-go. For some variety, try a whole grain bagel sandwich.
    * Peas and tuna are a breeze. Open a can of each, mix, microwave, and you’re set. For a little more
    flavor, jazz it up with some spices or more vegetables.
    * Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast! Heat some up for any meal of the day. With so many flavors to
    choose from, you don’t need an excuse to get this boost of fiber.
    * Beans and brown rice cover two of your main energy sources. The protein in the beans fuels your
    muscles, while the complex carbs in the rice provides lasting energy. To save time, try a
    quick-cook variety of brown rice.
    * Low-sodium soup and crackers will fill you up fast. Add some fresh or even canned vegetables for
    more nutrients.
    * Whole wheat pancakes taste great, no matter what time is blinking on the clock. With a powdered
    mix, you can be flipping some hotcakes in a flash. To save more time, toast frozen whole wheat
    waffles.
    * Chicken burritos are probably easier to make than you might think. Heat chicken, beans and
    vegetables, and wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla. Sprinkle on low-fat cheese and you’ve nearly
    hit all of the major food groups with one bite.
  • JolandaW
    JolandaW Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great post, just what I needed!! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    we always seem to have chicken in hte freezer (boneless skinless breasts) so when time is tight we just grill them up (from frozen) and then I baste with bbq sauce or frank's red hot. I eat it with brown rice (instant) and some steamfresh veggies. Takes about 20 minutes total.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    we always seem to have chicken in hte freezer (boneless skinless breasts) so when time is tight we just grill them up (from frozen) and then I baste with bbq sauce or frank's red hot. I eat it with brown rice (instant) and some steamfresh veggies. Takes about 20 minutes total.

Nice one, always amazes me what you can do with chicken - with just a little imagination :flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Great post, just what I needed!! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

You're welcome :flowerforyou: